• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How old were you when you started reading comics?

65 posts in this topic

7 years old..around 1989...

This is when they were sold in convenience stores and I saw this cover and was hooked ever since! I was well aware of spider-man at the time so when I saw this I was so interested to see if Spider-man was really dead. I went home that day and stole the money from our huge family piggy bank (my brothers and sister and I had a great system of taking money from it without anyone finding out). lol

2gtrfpv.jpg

Soon after my brother gave me a short box of comics. I know the 90s gimmick covers are laughed at now, but to someone in their 20s, that's what got us into comics...well me at least. I loved the holographic covers.

7 or 8 in the summers at my grandparents summer house in Minnesota. There was a general store down the street that had a spinner rack of comics - we would always go and get as many comics as we could get away with. I clearly remember buying Detective 439 off that rack. Started collecting the summer of 1975, when I was 10.

I think anything with Spider-man and Superman got me as a kid!

I don't like reading Superman as much. I did like the last thing I read which was Kingdom Come. Took me years to finally pick it up...

Spider-man is always good to read TPB's of some good stories.

These days though, I prefer to collect Spider-man issues but if I read anything it's usually more mature stuff. Walking Dead is my current reading addiction!

One more rambling story....

When I was maybe 12 years old, I took my fifteen dollars to the LCS and bought a Wolverine 1982 Limited series #1. I got him to go down from 20$ with my dad standing there. I thought it was my holy grail for a while! I still have a couple sets of that series. Scoring that at that age was more thrilling than scoring something major now!

It was 1976 and i was 4. My Dad had a huge collection and i clearly remember him giving me a few to read (i was a clever child and was reading competently before school - dont know what happened though). First one i remember is Marvel Two in One #20 with the Liberty Legion.

Also read Marvel UK and disney comics. Didn't really read children's books like the Famous Five. Why would i when comics took me all over the universe and taught me about rights and wrongs, and strength through adversity?

Neil

Scoring that at that age was more thrilling than scoring something major now!

absolutely!

Chalk much of it up to having no idea about what was going on, but I remember being pretty stoked when I finished my set of all 5 X-Men #1 covers ;) We had no comic shop anywhere near tho, so I was the first in school to have them...

My first big "grail," however was Sandman #1... didn't think I'd ever get it.

Bought them from drug stores and supermarkets starting at 7. Didn't know back issues existed until I was 13. A friend was over at my house and saw my neatly stacked comics. Said "wow, didn't know you collected comic books". I don't, I just buy them to read. Well, this one is worth 30.00! Really??!!??

That very weekend he took me to my first comic convention. I came home with a long box of comics! I was hooked.

Thanks Joe!

I think I was 8-ish also; my parents bought me a 3-pack of GI Joe comics (early 30's?)...

those were the last comics they ever bought me; I started actually collecting and reading on my own in 7th or 8th grade tho... what is that? Like 14?

Hey, I remember those G I Joe 3-packs. I was also 8. And I remember them being 2nd prints which for some unquestionable reason bothered me at the time.

I started around 7 or 8 with mainly Marvel titles (and yes, Marvel's Star Comics imprint). First book was most likely ASM #263.

Wish I started in the 60s so that I can say my crack at comics was a ToS 39 or Hulk 2.