• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know why the Clink thread got pulled?

295 posts in this topic

Years ago I brought their original 3% surcharge for using a credit card statement to Josh's attention and reiterated to him several times that it was flat out illegal. This is back when I was a DA, and I actually had a friend in the AG's office in NY at the time.

Finally, I mentioned to him, as I'm sure someone else did too, that it was really a matter of him tweaking the statement to comply legally -- and it was fairly simple to do it.

The reality is, c-link should simply take the cc, and raise their fee overall... say to 12% flat across the board and forget all this paypal or cc discount nonsense. It just is making for trouble.

At this point, they could argue that they achieve higher prices if you put the books in their auctions and have a legit argument to justify the 12%.

Years ago I brought their original 3% surcharge for using a credit card statement to Josh's attention and reiterated to him several times that it was flat out illegal. This is back when I was a DA, and I actually had a friend in the AG's office in NY at the time.

Finally, I mentioned to him, as I'm sure someone else did too, that it was really a matter of him tweaking the statement to comply legally -- and it was fairly simple to do it.

The reality is, c-link should simply take the cc, and raise their fee overall... say to 12% flat across the board and forget all this paypal or cc discount nonsense. It just is making for trouble.

At this point, they could argue that they achieve higher prices if you put the books in their auctions and have a legit argument to justify the 12%.

I think CLINK is achieving a level of auction results that could justify a consignment fee of 13%+

Give up the word-play shenanigans & just bump the consignment fee to 13%

forget all this paypal or cc discount nonsense.

(thumbs u

My ONLY problem with the 3% buyers premium when paying with CC is that I did not know about it until I actually checked out after I had ALREADY won my auctions. I went back and couldn't find the 3% buyers premium in their terms of service. Maybe I just don't know where to look. doh! If someone could direct me to it I would appreciate.

Would you advertise something that is illegal?

That said, I don't have a problem if CL wants to charge a buyers premium to CC transactions.

Even though it's illegal?? You should have a problem with it.

If you keep repeating this, people might think it's actually true doh!

In regards to CC transactions, what comiclink is doing is not illegal - you might think it's distasteful (I do), sure, but let me just repeat it again: it's not illegal.

Technically, using Clink semantics, I don't think I said what they are doing is illegal ;) but let's say they're doing nothing wrong. It would be illegal "if Clink wants to charge a buyers premium to CC transactions". My indignation is from the fact that this person would think an illegal surcharge was just fine.

There is a fee for Personal payments, it's 1% or thereabouts.

No, personal payments are fee-less.

Not in all cases they're not. 1% is charged when a fee is due. (thumbs u

That only applies to people with non-US paypal accounts. For a US paypal account, a personal paypal payment is always fee-less.

The determination of when to apply a Send Money fee, US only here, is based on the following as I understand it...

variables

1. The payment type (goods vs. personal)

2. The payment method aka funding mix (i.e. balance, bank and CC)

rules

All GOODS related payment types are charged a fee regardless of funding mix. This is not visible to the sender.

All PERSONAL payment types are not charged a fee when bank and/or balance are used. The minute you add a CC to the funding mix a fee is applied regardless of the personal payment type. Furthermore, adding another layer of decision, is the toggle to say WHO will pay the fee. The sender can determine if it's them (the sender) or the recipient. This toggle is the check box next to the fee amount. Clink could utilize this feature and simply ask the sender to uncheck the box so that the fee is not passed onto them - the recipient in this case.

Lastly, the fee amount varies and is not a flat 3% across the board for all SM transactions. Profit here?

PayPal Send Money fee breakdown

I think CLINK is achieving a level of auction results that could justify a consignment fee of 13%+

Give up the word-play shenanigans & just bump the consignment fee to 13%

forget all this paypal or cc discount nonsense.

(thumbs u

if the consignment fee differential closes too much then some / many sellers will switch venues.

No, they're not fee-less.

:gossip: We already straightened that statement out. Shhhhh, I won't tell anyone you were late to the party.

I've only covered a fee twice? (shrug) The rest of them have been without charge.

Every personal payment I've sent has had a 1% fee on it.

I've only covered a fee twice? (shrug) The rest of them have been without charge.

I'm probably at 2 with, 15 without? (shrug)

I'm paying from a Paypal balance, though? hm

Someone's getting the shaft. I have two paypal accounts and I move money between them depending on which bank account I would like the money deposited. I use the personal option to do this and I have never seen a 1% charge.