• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know why the Clink thread got pulled?

295 posts in this topic

As I understand it, Paypal personal option is not for business use, end of story. If someone doing business doesn't like paying the fees hen they should increase their prices whether on their own site or just a sale on the boards. Any charges should be completely upfront and plain to see.

I don't like people asking for PP personal because it just seems like an attempt to make their prices seem less than they are. It doesn't make a difference to me really because I just add the extra cost on to the actual price and if that makes it too expensive then I don't buy but I don't see why I should have to forego Paypal's protection just to line the sellers pocket.

I do not charge customers for using Paypal. Electronic payment is a cost of doing business.

For people who use the "personal" payment option I will basically say this bluntly. You or the requesting merchant are "stealing" and "lying" for not paying Paypal for their service which is to get you or them money quicker. Eventually because of this abuse Paypal will eventually remove this service and frankly I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Paypal is just like Visa/MC/AMEX etc. Their business model is the electronic transfer of money. They have employees, there is a cost of doing business. The idea or rationalization that "Paypal sucks so em" doesn't exactly fly when you boil it down to the bottom line - If you don't want to pay the fees than don't take it.

(worship) (worship) (worship)

Top work, Smiler! (thumbs u

word.

true! :whee:

I don't get it.

If you get a 3% discount by paying with an alternative method, isn't that a good thing?

BS is never a good thing.

And if they are so concerned about giving discounts to their customers who pay by check or whatever, why not make it 10%?

Instead of the coincidental same amount as the credit card fee? hm

You can call it whatever you want, it's still a 3% discount when paying by check or MO.

You can call it whatever you want too. It's still BS. It's not a 3% discount.

I buy a $300 book for the price advertised. Pay $14 to ship one book and get 3% added for credit card payment. There is no discount involved, i bought and paid for a $300 book.

No discount involved but, still saves you 3% when paying by check or money order. Of course, I get charged an aditional 8.35%? sales tax.

Is that your rate where you live, Mike? Because they try to charge me the NYC rate each time (Heritage does too)...and it's the rate where you live, where the book is to be delivered, not the rate where they mail it from that you should be charged. My sales tax is only 7.67 %...a bargain for NY. I have to call and explain every time. It's not a huge amount, but it adds up and since it's a tax, I'd rather pay the correct amount, not a bonus.

I don't see how this charge, could possibly be construed as a "discount" it's not. It's probably better for Comiclink to do it this way for their own bookeeping purposes, but I've always seen it as an additional charge. Still cheaper than Heritage's charges....but it's a charge

:shrug:.

I gave the example of the tax because I'm sure it's easier for them to just charge one rate and not look up every little town in NY..just as it's probably easier for them to add the premium if you use a credit card...bookeeping can be complicated...but if you have a business, it's part of the job.

I'm not sure Sharon. Here's the figures from a purchase from them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Order Subtotal: $40

Shipping & Handling: $14

Sales Tax: $3.55

Buyer Fee (3%): $1.73

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRAND TOTAL: $59.28

If this is what they are doing, this is blatantly illegal. They've added the 3% to the order, the shipping AND handling, AND the sales tax. The illegality is at every level. If they were giving you a "discount" for NOT using a credit card, your bill should be $55.83 (3% off of $54, plus the 6.6% sales tax).

Call them up and ask what the price is if you pay with a check.

This is what interests me in this thread. Is this what Clink is doing? If so, is it "illegal"?

Also, is what they're doing....by asking for personal payments against the terms and conditions of paypal?

The bottom line is CLink is circumventing Paypal's business transaction fees for receiving electronic payments using their service. If JerryZ had contacted Paypal with his payment receipt, refund and proof of request of Personal payment then CLink would no longer be able to use Paypal.

As a business model it stinks.

The bottom line is CLink is circumventing Paypal's business transaction fees for receiving electronic payments using their service. If JerryZ had contacted Paypal with his payment receipt, refund and proof of request of Personal payment then CLink would no longer be able to use Paypal.

:o

For the record I pay them via check. :screwy: to do anything else as you're just pizzing away money.

So basically everybody who lists on Comiclink/Pedigree and all the other site's "charging" should pull their books and send them to me since I don't charge the buyer or seller the "convenience" of doing business.

Seems like a win/win for me.

:acclaim:

So basically everybody who lists on Comiclink/Pedigree and all the other site's "charging" should pull their books and send them to me since I don't charge the buyer or seller the "convenience" of doing business.

Seems like a win/win for me.

:acclaim:

Bob just took business from Metro.

:insane:

Well, and on the Visa/MasterCard side I do not believe these associations allow merchants to charge the interchange fee to the transaction in addition to the goods being purchased.

I'm going to give a call to a friend at Visa right now and ask some questions about this.

Well, and on the Visa/MasterCard side I do not believe these associations allow merchants to charge the interchange fee to the transaction in addition to the goods being purchased.

I'm going to give a call to a friend at Visa right now and ask some questions about this.

:popcorn:

That's the thing, I'm not sure if CLink actually add 3% to the final sale price if you pay by CC, and CC through Paypal (I think that's what's been posted), but what if you pay through Paypal with an account linked directly to a bank account? The seller would still lose a percentage.

So if they refunded you then and asked you to pay via Personal, you would then be hit with an extra 1% even though you're not paying via CC.

Got a voicemail but I'll get the correct response on how the association would respond to a merchant tacking on the interchange and payment processor fee.

I worked for one of the largest credit card processors in the United States for a number of years, and there are many rules governing what can shut down a business from processing a payment type if they deviate from the rules. And it can be an individual employee that can cause this to happen.

I had an employee at a Red Robin modify my credit card receipt to give himself a larger tip. Once I caught it and made some calls, the store manager was on a call with me immediately. Visa could have shut down their store from accepting Visa payments until an investigation was completed to confirm if this happened to more than just me.

Any consumer, as a member of these associations, has this ability and most times never realizes it.

I don't get it.

If you get a 3% discount by paying with an alternative method, isn't that a good thing?

BS is never a good thing.

And if they are so concerned about giving discounts to their customers who pay by check or whatever, why not make it 10%?

Instead of the coincidental same amount as the credit card fee? hm

You can call it whatever you want, it's still a 3% discount when paying by check or MO.

You can call it whatever you want too. It's still BS. It's not a 3% discount.

I buy a $300 book for the price advertised. Pay $14 to ship one book and get 3% added for credit card payment. There is no discount involved, i bought and paid for a $300 book.

No discount involved but, still saves you 3% when paying by check or money order. Of course, I get charged an aditional 8.35%? sales tax.

Is that your rate where you live, Mike? Because they try to charge me the NYC rate each time (Heritage does too)...and it's the rate where you live, where the book is to be delivered, not the rate where they mail it from that you should be charged. My sales tax is only 7.67 %...a bargain for NY. I have to call and explain every time. It's not a huge amount, but it adds up and since it's a tax, I'd rather pay the correct amount, not a bonus.

I don't see how this charge, could possibly be construed as a "discount" it's not. It's probably better for Comiclink to do it this way for their own bookeeping purposes, but I've always seen it as an additional charge. Still cheaper than Heritage's charges....but it's a charge

:shrug:.

I gave the example of the tax because I'm sure it's easier for them to just charge one rate and not look up every little town in NY..just as it's probably easier for them to add the premium if you use a credit card...bookeeping can be complicated...but if you have a business, it's part of the job.

I'm not sure Sharon. Here's the figures from a purchase from them.

Order Subtotal: $40

Shipping & Handling: $14

Sales Tax: $3.55

Buyer Fee (3%): $1.73

GRAND TOTAL: $59.28

Doesn't 3% x $40 = $1.20?

ETA: and $3.55 is 8.875% of $40.

As I mentioned earlier (I have had many purchases from the Link), C-Link charges a 3% surcharge to payments by credit card only (idenifying it as the Buyer fee above)...if you pay another method the surcharge is cancelled out. This 3% surcharge applies to every cent you spend (be it taxes, comics, etc.). In the case of Sharon that would be the order total + shipping + sales tax. Take that ultimate total and multiply times 1.03 and you will have the final amount due. :gossip: Maybe this has been addressed in later pages I have not gotten to yet, but this is definately a 3% tacked on the final total due after your order and all other fees/shipping have been tabulated. :shy:

SE

They probably charged me 3% for the shipping costs as well. I copied and pasted this from my account.

NYS Sales tax Calculator

I use this site Mike, I know Albany County is not as high as NYC, but your specific town could be even lower.

Thanks Sharon! It states that my town (Albany County) is 8%

My ONLY problem with the 3% buyers premium when paying with CC is that I did not know about it until I actually checked out after I had ALREADY won my auctions. I went back and couldn't find the 3% buyers premium in their terms of service. Maybe I just don't know where to look. doh! If someone could direct me to it I would appreciate.

Would you advertise something that is illegal?

That said, I don't have a problem if CL wants to charge a buyers premium to CC transactions.

Even though it's illegal?? You should have a problem with it.

That said, I don't have a problem if CL wants to charge a buyers premium to CC transactions.

Even though it's illegal?? You should have a problem with it.

Exactly, even though there are laws against it, you wouldn't have a problem with people breaking those laws we are all supposed to live by? How about the law the detures people from taking your wallet from you without your permission?

As someone said earlier, we can expect Paypal to eliminate the personal option as soon as they realize the extent that it is being abused, i.e., used to make payments for purchases. That is NOT what it is for, and we all know it.

(thumbs u

As someone said earlier, we can expect Paypal to eliminate the personal option as soon as they realize the extent that it is being abused, i.e., used to make payments for purchases. That is NOT what it is for, and we all know it.
I have only used it once for Butters benefit auction. Also, my wife used it to send me some money so I could make a purchase.

Doesn't the person sending the money recieve a Charge. If so, what percentage is it?