• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know why the Clink thread got pulled?

295 posts in this topic

As someone said earlier, we can expect Paypal to eliminate the personal option as soon as they realize the extent that it is being abused, i.e., used to make payments for purchases. That is NOT what it is for, and we all know it.
I have only used it once for Butters benefit auction. Also, my wife used it to send me some money so I could make a purchase.

Doesn't the person sending the money recieve a Charge. If so, what percentage is it?

No charge. That is why PayPal would shut this down if it gets abused.

As someone said earlier, we can expect Paypal to eliminate the personal option as soon as they realize the extent that it is being abused, i.e., used to make payments for purchases. That is NOT what it is for, and we all know it.
I have only used it once for Butters benefit auction. Also, my wife used it to send me some money so I could make a purchase.

Doesn't the person sending the money recieve a Charge. If so, what percentage is it?

Thanks!

BTW, I just asked my wife about the money she sent me. It was sent as a gift and she was charged. I thought the personal tab was hit.

Thanks!

BTW, I just asked my wife about the money she sent me. It was sent as a gift and she was charged. I thought the personal tab was hit.

hm

That's odd. The Personal Payments section seems to be sending "free" money, and many have experienced no charges. So your wife clicked on the second tab that has options such as "Money Owed" and it still charged a fee?

Thanks!

hm

That's odd. The Personal Payments section seems to be sending "free" money, and many have experienced no charges. So your wife clicked on the second tab that has options such as "Money Owed" and it still charged a fee?

I think it depends on how often it's used.

Some days there is no fee. Other days there seems to be a 1% fee.

I think it depends on how often it's used.

Some days there is no fee. Other days there seems to be a 1% fee.

Thanks for the info, Roy. I've always heard it is free over the past few months, so to hear there is a 1% is the first time this came up.

Good to know.

Not sure if it was mentioned but their is no fee if it is money taken from your paypal balance. If it is from a CC or paypal buyer credit a fee is involved.

Are you sure about that?

I've only ever sent money from a Paypal balance and not a credit card, but I have had the 1% taken off and passed on to either myself, or the person I'm sending it to from time to time.

The only thing I can think of that would cause me them to change the fee would be the frequency with which Personal is used or the amount.

If CLink is so tight on margins and making mere cents on every sale ( meh ) , the correct way to do this would be to charge a higher consignment percentage.

However, this wouldn't look good and would certainly drive books into Bob's arms, or Brent's, or somebody else's.

And if CLink didn't accept Paypal and/or credit card payments, this would have the same result and it would also lose them buyers. What serious on-line business in this day and age doesn't accept plastic?

Faced with all this, they know they need to take credit cards, they know they don't want to pay fees (presumably because they're 'special') and so they go down the illegal and underhand road.

Kudos! :applause:

If CLink is so tight on margins and making mere cents on every sale ( meh ) , the correct way to do this would be to charge a higher consignment percentage.

However, this wouldn't look good and would certainly drive books into Bob's arms, or Brent's, or somebody else's.

And if CLink didn't accept Paypal and/or credit card payments, this would have the same result and it would also lose them buyers. What serious on-line business in this day and age doesn't accept plastic?

Faced with all this, they know they need to take credit cards, they know they don't want to pay fees (presumably because they're 'special') and so they go down the illegal and underhand road.

I think that pretty much sums it up Nick :thumbsup:

I think that pretty much sums it up Nick :thumbsup:

:hi:

Guess who's going to see Pearl Jam in Hyde Park on June 25th next year? :whistle:

:taptaptap:

:roflmao:

I don't get it. Why not just post a response to all of this? ???

Maybe they're trying to think of a way to make it all sound reasonable. (shrug)

My ONLY problem with the 3% buyers premium when paying with CC is that I did not know about it until I actually checked out after I had ALREADY won my auctions. I went back and couldn't find the 3% buyers premium in their terms of service. Maybe I just don't know where to look. doh! If someone could direct me to it I would appreciate.

Would you advertise something that is illegal?

That said, I don't have a problem if CL wants to charge a buyers premium to CC transactions.

Even though it's illegal?? You should have a problem with it.

If you keep repeating this, people might think it's actually true doh!

In regards to CC transactions, what comiclink is doing is not illegal - you might think it's distasteful (I do), sure, but let me just repeat it again: it's not illegal. They're not labelling this as a "credit card surcharge", they're calling it a "buyers premium" which makes all the difference in the world.

It's no different than my gas company which charges me a $5 "convenience fee" to make a credit card payment online - or my bank which charges me $10 to pay my car loan online.