• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know why the Clink thread got pulled?

295 posts in this topic

:taptaptap:

:roflmao:

I don't get it. Why not just post a response to all of this? ???

Would you jump into this shyt storm before reading everything thoroughly?

If anything, they are probably comparing the comments here to their procedures to ensure they don't have to mitigate any payment risks due to some of the history shared here, real or not. Otherwise, it ends up being a larger mess.

There is a fee for Personal payments, it's 1% or thereabouts.

No, personal payments are fee-less.

Not in all cases they're not. 1% is charged when a fee is due. (thumbs u

That only applies to people with non-US paypal accounts. For a US paypal account, a personal paypal payment is always fee-less.

My ONLY problem with the 3% buyers premium when paying with CC is that I did not know about it until I actually checked out after I had ALREADY won my auctions. I went back and couldn't find the 3% buyers premium in their terms of service. Maybe I just don't know where to look. doh! If someone could direct me to it I would appreciate.

Would you advertise something that is illegal?

That said, I don't have a problem if CL wants to charge a buyers premium to CC transactions.

Even though it's illegal?? You should have a problem with it.

If you keep repeating this, people might think it's actually true doh!

In regards to CC transactions, what comiclink is doing is not illegal - you might think it's distasteful (I do), sure, but let me just repeat it again: it's not illegal. They're not labelling this as a "credit card surcharge", they're calling it a "buyers premium" which makes all the difference in the world.

It's no different than my gas company which charges me a $5 "convenience fee" to make a credit card payment online - or my bank which charges me $10 to pay my car loan online.

So I could go and stab somebody to death, call it 'baking them a cake' and it would all be fine with the law?

You can call an illegal activity anything you want, but it's what the authorities consider it to be that actually counts.

My ONLY problem with the 3% buyers premium when paying with CC is that I did not know about it until I actually checked out after I had ALREADY won my auctions. I went back and couldn't find the 3% buyers premium in their terms of service. Maybe I just don't know where to look. doh! If someone could direct me to it I would appreciate.

That said, I don't have a problem if CL wants to charge a buyers premium to CC transactions.

In regards to CC transactions, what comiclink is doing is not illegal - you might think it's distasteful (I do), sure, but let me just repeat it again: it's not illegal. They're not labelling this as a "credit card surcharge", they're calling it a "buyers premium" which makes all the difference in the world.

It's no different than my gas company which charges me a $5 "convenience fee" to make a credit card payment online - or my bank which charges me $10 to pay my car loan online.

So I could go and stab somebody to death, call it 'baking them a cake' and it would all be fine with the law?

You can call an illegal activity anything you want, but it's what the authorities consider it to be that actually counts.

But I asked my wife to bake me a cake tomorrow, now I'm worried...

In this case, yes - from a legal point of view, calling it a buyers premium allows them to charge whatever percentage they feel like. All that matters is that it's disclosed during the checkout process.

I get what you're saying and it's not like I support what they're doing here, but that still doesn't make this particular practice illegal.

Plenty of other companies do something similar here in the US - Bloomingdale's, for instance, charges you a $5 fee if you pay your bill with a credit card (either online or over the phone), whereas there's no fee if you send them a check.

Not sure if it was mentioned but their is no fee if it is money taken from your paypal balance. If it is from a CC or paypal buyer credit a fee is involved.
My wife always has a 0 balance into her Paypal. She has a card attached to it. That would explain why! (thumbs u

Not sure if it was mentioned but their is no fee if it is money taken from your paypal balance. If it is from a CC or paypal buyer credit a fee is involved.
My wife always has a 0 balance into her Paypal. She has a card attached to it. That would explain why! (thumbs u

^^ IF you have a zero paypal balance and have a cc attached you are charged a 2.9% fee PLUS 30 cents per transaction if not using a Paypal balance

Contrary to what some are saying i just read it from their website..

U.S. Or Not

Guess who's going to see Pearl Jam in Hyde Park on June 25th next year? :whistle:

Over 50,000 really pale Brits in hopes of catching a glimpse of the sun?

Question. If someone sends you a Paypal payment using a credit card and it gets refunded, does it go back to the original sender's credit card or just back to the Paypal account?

Question. If someone sends you a Paypal payment using a credit card and it gets refunded, does it go back to the original sender's credit card or just back to the Paypal account?

From the site - you know. The link I provided before. :baiting:

If you send money to someone who decides not to accept the payment, the recipient can deny the transaction, and the full amount will be returned to your PayPal account. If you used your credit or debit card to send the money, the money will be returned to the card you used or to your PayPal balance.

Just an fyi but merchants pay more on reward cards. Don't thank your credit card company for that 1%, thank me the next time you hand me a rewards card. And I will be the first to say Credit Card companies sucks for merchants. I pay more on AMEX, I pay more on Debit cards, reward cards and if you pay me with your "Business" card. I don't use a rinky dink clearinghouse either.

Isn't there also a transaction fee when a CC is used?

Just an fyi but merchants pay more on reward cards. Don't thank your credit card company for that 1%, thank me the next time you hand me a rewards card. And I will be the first to say Credit Card companies sucks for merchants. I pay more on AMEX, I pay more on Debit cards, reward cards and if you pay me with your "Business" card. I don't use a rinky dink clearinghouse either.

Isn't there also a transaction fee when a CC is used?

That's the interchange charge, which is mandated by the associations (Visa, Mastercard, Amex), plus the payment processors charge. So anywhere from 2.8% to 3.4% of the transaction + $.15 to $.30 acquirer's fee.

That first fee is what keeps coming up in Congress as this crazy varying charge which depends on if it is a retail/brick-and-mortar transaction, mail-order/telephone order (MOTO) purchase, or straight internet purchase.

It really needs a good, regulated house cleaning one day.

IF it is illegal, then yes I would have a problem. I can only assume it isn't illegal or they wouldn't be doing it. I don't care what fees different businesses charge. I just want to know BEFORE checkout so I am not surprised. That is all.