• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know why the Clink thread got pulled?

295 posts in this topic

Agreed! Maybe Clink shouldn't allow PayPal as a payment option if they don't want to absorb the costs for using their service. For a business to demand that a customer make a "personal payment" is just poor form and in my opinion totally bush league.

I do not charge customers for using Paypal. Electronic payment is a cost of doing business.

For people who use the "personal" payment option I will basically say this bluntly. You or the requesting merchant are "stealing" and "lying" for not paying Paypal for their service which is to get you or them money quicker. Eventually because of this abuse Paypal will eventually remove this service and frankly I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Paypal is just like Visa/MC/AMEX etc. Their business model is the electronic transfer of money. They have employees, there is a cost of doing business. The idea or rationalization that "Paypal sucks so em" doesn't exactly fly when you boil it down to the bottom line - If you don't want to pay the fees than don't take it.

I do not charge customers for using Paypal. Electronic payment is a cost of doing business.

For people who use the "personal" payment option I will basically say this bluntly. You or the requesting merchant are "stealing" and "lying" for not paying Paypal for their service which is to get you or them money quicker. Eventually because of this abuse Paypal will eventually remove this service and frankly I wouldn't blame them one bit.

Paypal is just like Visa/MC/AMEX etc. Their business model is the electronic transfer of money. They have employees, there is a cost of doing business. The idea or rationalization that "Paypal sucks so em" doesn't exactly fly when you boil it down to the bottom line - If you don't want to pay the fees than don't take it.

(worship) (worship) (worship)

Top work, Smiler! (thumbs u

word.

Guys, I'm curious.

Does Comiclink say anywhere on it's site that they accept PayPal as a form of Payment?

Roy, it is in their invoice when you outright buy or win an auction and check out.

I think they also added PayPal to their FAQ, and this may be where they mention the $500/day limit.

Here is the language in the invoice concerning PayPal.

If you are paying via paypal, please send total payment to ComicLink at buysell@comiclink.com.

NOTE: We have a personal paypal account which has some restrictions. We do not accept paypal if you are paying with credit card, you must send us payment of less than $500 per day (if the total is higher), and you must select "services" from the "transaction" pulldown menu on the paypal web site.

t

it is a legal way to get around the CC surcharge, but the net effect is the same... if comic link didn't do this, then cash customers would have to pay 13%, and I think that hurts the buyer and doesn't help the seller...

seems like the system they have in place is perfect (shrug)

if heritage did this, they would only have to charge "cash" buyers 16.5% BP, and that would be nice... in that respect, I like clink (thumbs u

It's 3% for the buyer, Rick, not 13%...and I agree with the other poster who said that it should be in the terms upfront. I knew about it, because YOU told me before I bid...but otherwise, it would have been a complete surprise, as it is not listed in their terms and I did look again.

It's just a way of sounding like they are actually cheaper to use than they really are. I agree Heritage is more expensive, but I prefer dealing with companies who are totally upfront (which might be part of the reason I don't look at their site all that much anymore.

right, I meant 3%....sorry, trying to clean and type at the same time...

and it is "up front" on the checkout screen...when you choose your payment preference before you submit your order it shows "buyer premium" 3%...

if you choose cash/check, then clink "waives" the buyers premium, equating to a 3% discount

but you are correct, I don't see it listed in the terms and conditions, so seems like that might be a good place to distinquish the cost (thumbs u

Cleaning? You are more than welcome to stop by if you want to do more :baiting:.

Upfront means, BEFORE you bid...so you know that is the total charge...It might not seem like a lot to some people, but I am sure it will make a difference to some others...for myself...I would still bid, but I would LOWER my bid 3% if I knew in advance.

It's just not customer friendly...really.

gotcha... all they need to do is add it to the terms and conditions page that you have to agree to before you sign in (which preceeds bidding) and all is good :whee:

Only cash from you lol.

Only kidding.

Money Orders/checks take time, yes I "Net" the most but that's the price you pay for "time".

Convenience has a price and a cost to a business. It's going to be a bigger and bigger percentage of how merchants are being paid. As I said earlier, if you don't want to accept electronic payment then don't take it.

Or raise your consignment rates if you aren't making "enough" money.

I agree with bob as far as a merchant should pay the fees, because we can build that cost into our pricing structure... that is why I give a cash discount equivalent to those fees... I net the same, and it allows my customers to save 3% that would otherwise not goto me anyway... win/win for my customers and myself (naturally, the CC companies lose out, but c'est la vie)

the diff with Clink is that they are just providing a service for a flat 10% fee... they do have that cost built into their service in the form of a buyers premium, and they offer the 3% "discount" (call it anything you want) if you pay cash...

seems like win/win to me (shrug)

I'm frankly just amazed that they would refund a Paypal payment and demand that it be resent as a personal payment. Even a small fry like me would never do that. (shrug)

Maybe that's why we don't have the leading comic site in the world and they do. We just don't have the business acumen to succeed in comics. ;)

I would beg to differ since you assume that Comiclink doesn't "own" any of the books they are providing that service for.

Comiclink owns and co-owns books for sale on their site so not every sale is a 10% profit margin.

They are a "merchant" just like everybody else, my consignors don't pay 3% when I sell a consignment book. I net 7%, poor me, whoooo whooo whooo. If I'm not happy with the margin I raise it or settle for 0% when the person sells it somewhere else.

Not making enough money is a poor excuse for the fact that they don't want to absorb a cost of doing business - Accepting electronic payments.

whoooo whooo whooo? (shrug)

Were you sobbing, or a train whistle?

:roflmao:

But I agree, it really comes off poorly to ask for repayment in the manner outlined in this thread. Either outline paypal payment options upfront, or live with how they are till you change them.

I agree with bob as far as a merchant should pay the fees, because we can build that cost into our pricing structure... that is why I give a cash discount equivalent to those fees... I net the same, and it allows my customers to save 3% that would otherwise not goto me anyway... win/win for my customers and myself (naturally, the CC companies lose out, but c'est la vie)

the diff with Clink is that they are just providing a service for a flat 10% fee... they do have that cost built into their service in the form of a buyers premium, and they offer the 3% "discount" (call it anything you want) if you pay cash...

seems like win/win to me (shrug)

I have to agree with Rick. I also agree with Bob.

The cost of doing business is a 3% fee, but if any company finds a way to work that into their pricing structure, whether it's a higher fee up front or worked someway from the back end into the site, it's still going to end up being passed on to the consumer in some way. It's really no different than doing taxes and finding every provision available to keep as much money in pocket as possible.

Pedigree charges a 3% convenience fee.

Heritage charges a massive buyers and sellers premium. I believe the buyer's and seller's premiums combined come close to 30%.

Comicconnect charges the *seller* the additional 3% if the buyer pays by credit card.

Everyone does it differently.

If you're given the option to pay 3% less, rather than, say, having fees increased 3% across the board I can't see how it's a bad thing no matter which way you want to paint it.

So basically everybody who lists on Comiclink/Pedigree and all the other site's "charging" should pull their books and send them to me since I don't charge the buyer or seller the "convenience" of doing business.

Seems like a win/win for me.

Thanks Roy

If you're given the option to pay 3% less, rather than, say, having fees increased 3% across the board I can't see how it's a bad thing no matter which way you want to paint it.

I agree with the logic, Roy, but it is how a business delivers the message to its consumers that makes the difference between customer care and a bad surprise.

If I was running my business unit this way and hitting customers with "gotcha fees," I'd be out of business.

I even just checked all the FAQs on ComicLink's site and they have removed any mention of PayPal. But their invoices do state they accept PayPal. It would be nice to have it posted, and what fees are involved.

it's as clear as black and white, comiclink effed up when it refunded the paypal payment after the customer paid, and asked to paid via personal option. next time just grin and bear it, or rewrite your rules about post winning terms. just plain bad business ethics. in this case, bad press is not good press as dennis rodman would say.

So basically everybody who lists on Comiclink/Pedigree and all the other site's "charging" should pull their books and send them to me since I don't charge the buyer or seller the "convenience" of doing business.

Seems like a win/win for me.

Thanks Roy

:roflmao:

That is up to the client, but every site has their pros and cons. Target audiences, conveniences etc.

I will say, you are always a pleasure to deal with.

Lou says hi too, as she giggles about the way you just turned my post around, Judo style.

lol

it's as clear as black and white, comiclink effed up when it refunded the paypal payment after the customer paid, and asked to paid via personal option. next time just grin and bear it, or rewrite your rules about post winning terms. just plain bad business ethics. in this case, bad press is not good press as dennis rodman would say.

Problem is, they have done this with more than one buyer.