• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avoid submitting to CGC until.....

30 posts in this topic

Putting aside the gift grades that Mound City books had gotten (or so I have read here) and certain Heritage books, it seems that CGC has decided to insure the next generation of crackouts by grading overly tight.

Submitted a group of books last month that came back the other day and the grades were pathetic. Submitted books from the same collection last year and the grades were dramatically better. In fact, the books submitted recently were actually nicer than the books I submitted last year

It is very discouraging seeing SA NMs in 9.0 holders while seeing other books coming out of CGC that appear to be gift grades (Mound City).

$$ is too important to waste right now. Let CGC undergrade books on their own dime. Not mine.

Some scans would be fun to see ...

The last books I just got back I thought were spot on... Some scans and grader notes should prove helpful , I have taken a great interest in folks recent thoughts

The last books I just got back I thought were spot on... Some scans and grader notes should prove helpful , I have taken a great interest in folks recent thoughts

:popcorn:

buy the book and not the grade. :baiting:

Why not buy both the book and the grade? That is what the grading service is for. :sumo:

I too would like to see some scans of his recent books he takes issue with. :popcorn:

I dunno... I thought they were generous on my TMNT #1 (my first submission no less!). I graded it as a 5.0-5.5 and the folks in Sarasota gave it a 6.0 FINE! No complaints for my part.

I'll have to get a new pic/scan of it now that it's slabbed with a pretty yellow label. I was also quite appreciative of the fact they noted "Peter Laird signature and sketch written in the interior" on the label. While the sig and sketch are unverified, it's nice that it was noted. But you can see a scan of it pre-slab in the PGM section.

But you get the Heritage treatment with your submissions :devil:

Seriously, though, I felt that CGC was too loose with their grading last year (let's just say that I was overjoyed at some of the grades I got on books) and outside of the Mound City collection have started to grade more accurately now. Since my first submissions early on I have noticed that their grading goes in cycles - they loosen up for while, hear enough complaints, tighten up, hear complaints, loosen up, etc. Right now we are just in a tightenting phase and that is it.

As far as the past year, they started to grade noticeably tighter for the first couple of months after Steve left, then relaxed a bit for a while up until August (or maybe a bit earlier), and have tightened up a bit since then (except on the Mound City collection from the sounds of things and based on the SC #22 IMHO). Wait a few months, and it will go the opposite again.

The one thing that I wish that CGC copied from PGX was putting the date that a book was graded on the label. That would make it a bit easier to track if a book has resub potential or now. :devil:

buy the book and not the grade. :baiting:

Why not buy both the book and the grade? That is what the grading service is for. :sumo:

I too would like to see some scans of his recent books he takes issue with. :popcorn:

Totally agree (thumbs u

Where are the scans? :popcorn:

I agree, posting some scans and your personal grade would be helpful.

It does seem that CGC grades do vary - at time too soft and other times too tight.

For me, the CGC grade is a guide, but I still arrive at a personal grade regardless of the number. If I think a book is overgraded, I pass or only pay based on value of my "personal" grade.

I've submitted over 400 books to be CGC graded over the past 6 years, and they have been consistently tight with their grading. I would say that on average their grading vs. various dealers (Metro, Bedrock, Heritage, Superworld, Four Color, etc.) on GA and early SA books is as follows:

10% - Books receive a higher grade than dealer's opinion. I would say that only 3 or 4 books have come back at least 2 grades higher.

35% - Dealer and CGC are in complete agreement.

25% - Book comes back one grade lower than dealer opinion.

20% - Book comes back 2 grades lower than dealer opinion.

10% - Book comes back either way lower than dealer opinion due to glue on cover, semi-invisible water stain, slightly brittle pages, etc., or it's restored.

I can certainly understand a few books slipping thru the cracks and receiving higher or lower grades.............afterall, I don't expect CGC to be perfect. My only complaint (or perhaps I should say disagreement) with them is that they hammer a book for certain defects but not others. For instance, if the the book has a very minor light stain on the back cover, then it automatically gets knocked down to a 6.5 even though it could've easily graded an 8.5/9.0 otherwise. However, if the book has multiple foxing stains/blotches on the spine and back cover (a la the Crippen books) it can still receive a 9.0 score. When I compare these 9.0 graded Crippen books to my 6.5 copies with one minor stain on the back cover, I start scratching my head. The same thing applies to those ugly sun shadows, which I really hate.

Again, I do think that CGC does their best to remain consistent and be impartial, but I do think that early on they should've spent a bit more time discussing which defects garnered lower scores. Unfortunately, if foxing was not hammered during the time the Crippen books were graded, then looking ahead, CGC's policy will probably maintain that course.

I almost wish there were 2 grades given for each CGC graded book. One grade for the structural integrity, and the other for the QP. What I mean is that a 9.0 graded Crippin copy may be structurally solid, but will only receive a 4.0 QP score due to the ugly foxing and sun shadows. On the otherhand, an 8.5 Church copy may receive a QP score of 9.4 because it looks like fresh off the newstand, even though the corner may be a bit blunted.

I've submitted over 400 books to be CGC graded over the past 6 years, and they have been consistently tight with their grading. I would say that on average their grading vs. various dealers (Metro, Bedrock, Heritage, Superworld, Four Color, etc.) on GA and early SA books is as follows:

10% - Books receive a higher grade than dealer's opinion. I would say that only 3 or 4 books have come back at least 2 grades higher.

10% - Book comes back either way lower than dealer opinion due to glue on cover, semi-invisible water stain, slightly brittle pages, etc., or it's restored.

I can certainly understand a few books slipping thru the cracks and receiving higher or lower grades.............afterall, I don't expect CGC to be perfect. My only complaint (or perhaps I should say disagreement) with them is that they hammer a book for certain defects but not others. For instance, if the the book has a very minor light stain on the back cover, then it automatically gets knocked down to a 6.5 even though it could've easily graded an 8.5/9.0 otherwise. However, if the book has multiple foxing stains/blotches on the spine and back cover (a la the Crippen books) it can still receive a 9.0 score. When I compare these 9.0 graded Crippen books to my 6.5 copies with one minor stain on the back cover, I start scratching my head. The same thing applies to those ugly sun shadows, which I really hate.

Again, I do think that CGC does their best to remain consistent and be impartial, but I do think that early on they should've spent a bit more time discussing which defects garnered lower scores. Unfortunately, if foxing was not hammered during the time the Crippen books were graded, then looking ahead, CGC's policy will probably maintain that course.

I almost wish there were 2 grades given for each CGC graded book. One grade for the structural integrity, and the other for the QP. What I mean is that a 9.0 graded Crippin copy may be structurally solid, but will only receive a 4.0 QP score due to the ugly foxing and sun shadows. On the otherhand, an 8.5 Church copy may receive a QP score of 9.4 because it looks like fresh off the newstand, even though the corner may be a bit blunted.

The English teacher in me is always harping on my students giving specific, concrete responses instead of vague, over-generalized opinions when answer questions or responding to something they hear. Not that I think you're concerned about my opinion, but why aren't more posts like THIS found in Comic General?

The English teacher in me is always harping on my students giving specific, concrete responses instead of vague, over-generalized opinions when answer questions or responding to something they hear. Not that I think you're concerned about my opinion, but why aren't more posts like THIS found in Comic General?

You don't really want to hear our opinion of posters in General, do you?

I thought informative posts were a hallmark of the Gold Forum, it's why I like to read most threads here.

Informative, fact-ridden posts are always met with such a resounding silence in Comics General. Almost like someone farted in a five-star restaurant. It's one of the reasons I decided to collect GA.

Attempting to make posts like this in General just provides for greater opportunity to butcher the English language.

Informative, fact-ridden posts are always met with such a resounding silence in Comics General. Almost like someone farted in a five-star restaurant. It's one of the reasons I decided to collect GA.
I get funny looks when I fart in a McDonalds... how's that for a "fact-ridden" post lol