• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: How to use a *spoon* apostrophe

135 posts in this topic

I can take it no longer. Here's how it works folks, straight from the punctuation police handbook:

Plurals, i.e. more than one of something, get an "s" on the end with no apostrophe.

"I bought a bunch of Batmans today."

"Jack Kirby drew a lot of comics in the Silver Age."

"Moderns are not worth pig spit once you get them out of the store."

Possessives, i.e. something that belongs to something else, gets an "s" on the end WITH an apostrophe.

"Batman's utility belt sure is nifty."

"Jack Kirby's artwork hugely influenced Silver Age artists."

"That pig's spit is worth more than most modern comics."

That's the basics. Learn 'em and use 'em. There's no excuse for looking like an illiterate *spoon* on a board dedicated to a literary/artistic form.

There's no excuse for looking like an illiterate *spoon* on a board dedicated to a literary/artistic form.

Did someone have a fun Christmas today?

I had a great Christmas today. Spent much of it playing Martian Fluxx with my 11-year-old nephew.

I can take it no longer.

I think you want the compounded form, anymore, which means the same as "any longer." But the word needs a negative construction, such as, "I can't take this anymore."

You should be okay with this approach, as it will avoid the double negative concerns of a sentence, such as, "I do not want nothing."

:foryou:

you can use an apostrophe and an s in those instances.

as in, I hope DiceX's heart surgery went well

or

Boris's breath smells like borscht.

you can also use just an apostrophe if you wish. both are technically correct.

but people who use an apostrophe when writing a plural are dumbasses

"I could care less" gets a lot of play on these forums, instead of the correct "I couldn't care less". When you say "I could care less", you're insinuating that you do indeed care somewhat, since the possibility of caring less is present. :)