• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,634 posts in this topic

I find with the glare I apply just a bit of pressure to flex the case a tad it takes out most of the glare. I got flamed hard by guys saying you could break the glass and mess up the head which you can. I am talking real gentle.

I am thinking of making a slight templates to add just a little more pressure maybe some memory foam velcroed to the lid

I'm telling you -- flip the book. The light generally refracts differently with different bends in the case and oftentimes the glare is eliminated. That and scan in total darkness with the lid open.

I find with the glare I apply just a bit of pressure to flex the case a tad it takes out most of the glare. I got flamed hard by guys saying you could break the glass and mess up the head which you can. I am talking real gentle.

I am thinking of making a slight templates to add just a little more pressure maybe some memory foam velcroed to the lid

I'm telling you -- flip the book. The light generally refracts differently with different bends in the case and oftentimes the glare is eliminated. That and scan in total darkness with the lid open.

I'll test it out. (thumbs u I do scan with the lid open I have tried it all sort of light conditions even tried using a black cloth over the scanner

I'll test it out. (thumbs u I do scan with the lid open I have tried it all sort of light conditions even tried using a black cloth over the scanner

You said you were scanning at 300pixels/in, maybe try a lower resolution. I know my first scans were at that resolution and I didn't like how much detail it was picking up. I just don't remember if there was more glare at that resolution. I still get slight glare, but it seems to stay off the comic and only on the plastic edges of the slab, which is fine by me.

I'm really curious what could be causing it. Might point me in a good direction to get better scans from the thicker slabs.

If you go back in this thread there is a bunch of posts on exactly what causes the glare. Basically it is how the inner well and the outer well both being plastic react to the light and cause glare. A CDC light source like an older HP 8300 is a better quality reducing glare.

A flourescent light source like your all in one scanners now is even worse. I bought one first and promptly brought it back only to buy a used HP 8300

Hi all,

Been following this thread for a while. It seems like most of the suggestions are around getting second-hand scanners. I haven't tried these models but I'm glad they are working out for folks. What I'd like to know is if anyone has ideas "if money were no object" - i.e. professional imaging equipment, high-end scanners etc.

Took a slab to an imaging studio in Manhattan and they wanted to charge me $30 an image - did not do this but I wondered if anyone knows what type of machines they would likely be using?

I've been taking mine to Staples to have them scanned and they come out fairly good. One Staples in my area just got a new machine (Xerox) and they are coming out even better.

Again, curious about more expensive solutions just out of curiosity - what does CGC use, does anyone know?

If money weren't an object i'd still get an HP 8300. When it came out a few years back it was a $500 MSRP scanner. Now you probably pay more for shipping than the scanner itself. I scanned a negative with it as well and the result was f-ing amazing in my opinion. I'll post some sample scans and settings in a bit.

Thanks.

To contribute to the thread, here is Staples' Xerox machine, charging sometimes $2 an image, sometimes $2 for the first only and pennies for subsequent images:

FFAnnual_06_85a_histo25plus_zpse7371043.jpg

So I upgraded to Maverick. Sigh... Apparently if you have a Mac and upgrade to Maverick the HP Scan utility won't work anymore. They may fix it but who knows. Just a heads up so if you are getting funky looking scans when you save you are not alone.

Link to the HP site.

So I upgraded to Maverick. Sigh... Apparently if you have a Mac and upgrade to Maverick the HP Scan utility won't work anymore. They may fix it but who knows. Just a heads up so if you are getting funky looking scans when you save you are not alone.

Let's see a funky looking scan. :popcorn:

Link to the HP site.

It's not free, but worth it. VueScan solved the problem for me.

Link to the HP site.

Thanks for the heads up. I picked it up and it works. Now I just have to get used to using it. Getting all my settings right. Looks much more washed out than my HP Scan did.

3001140024571.jpg

Edited by thunsicker

Link to the HP site.

Thanks for the heads up. I picked it up and it works. Now I just have to get used to using it. Getting all my settings right. Looks much more washed out than my HP Scan did.

3001140024571.jpg

To get the more advanced leveling options, you have to purchase the Pro version. I've found that in the Standard version, I can get what I need out of just adjusting the Black Point % and White Point % on the Color tab.

HP Scanjet 8300 (300 DPI resolution) ...

MM3_zps1ffb45e0.jpg

Used standard Photobucket tools to crop and color fix...

5211185d-ce5d-4cc5-a665-8926e75ed192_zps72f14687.jpg

Don't know how this looks on anyone else's screen, but the scan looks pretty good on mine. (thumbs u

It looks good but has a glare on the top 1/4 of the slab that makes the colors look a little washed out- have you tried scanning it with a piece of solid color cardboard behind it. overlapping all sides of the slab and see if that eliminates at least a portion of the glare? Due to black background I assume you arescanning with no cover/lid.

Edited by GACollectibles

HP Scanjet 8300 (300 DPI resolution) ...

MM3_zps1ffb45e0.jpg

Used standard Photobucket tools to crop and color fix...

5211185d-ce5d-4cc5-a665-8926e75ed192_zps72f14687.jpg

Don't know how this looks on anyone else's screen, but the scan looks pretty good on mine. (thumbs u

It looks very nice, but I was just wondering if this scan was made using the 'Extreme' setting? I tend to use that setting on my 8300 and it really makes the image "pop".

Link to the HP site.

3001140024571.jpg

This one came out good :)~

2d766qe.jpg