• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,634 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried the HP officejet Pro 8600 ?

it is a legal size flatbed with a speed of 16ppm for color.

I am looking to get one of those in the next few days

There's some great advice a few pages back:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7409247#Post7409247

Looks like that's a newer all-in-one. It will probably not be great for scanning slabs, but will probably do the trick for raws.

I will primarily be scanning raw, but wanted to have the option to do Slabs so that is why I was thinking of the legal sized inpput of this model.

I suppose that as long as the label/ grade is clear a slightly less than perfect scan of the slab will not be a problem

So...I've read quite a few posts here and there seems to be a consensus on the stand alone HP Scanjet 8300 scanner. Are there any all-in-one's out there that will do the job? I've been looking at the HP Photosmart 7520 e-All-in-One which will scan 8.5"x14". It uses CIS technology. Has anybody tried this AIO or have an idea if any will work? Keep in mind I'm not looking for studio quality scans. I just want something that will allow me to get some reasonably nice slab scans and be usable for other office duties. (thumbs u

Edited by supa-bad-mofo

So...I've read quite a few posts here and there seems to be a consensus on the stand alone HP Scanjet 8300 scanner. Are there any all-in-one's out there that will do the job? I've been looking at the HP Photosmart 7520 e-All-in-One which will scan 8.5"x14". It uses CIS technology. Has anybody tried this AIO or have an idea if any will work? Keep in mind I'm not looking for studio quality scans. I just want something that will allow me to get some reasonably nice slab scans and be usable for other office duties. (thumbs u

No do not use CIS

The recent purchase for my office has a CIS scanner and they cannot cope with any depth of field.

E.G. if it is not touching the screen it all be very blurry.

I hate my office scanner!

i confirmed with HP that all current "all-in-ones" use the CIS technology.

They said that all of the stand alone Scanners use the CCD technology.

just checked ebay and no new 8300's are available. only used and the few ranged from 140-200

I saw new ones else where for closer to 400

Also the 8300 seemed very slow. from specs only 2.5 pages per minute

Edited by jmg3637

just checked ebay and no new 8300's are available. only used and the few ranged from 140-200

Yeah you're not going to find a new one. The HP ScanJet 8300 was released in 2009. I think its MSRP was close to $600.

The specs show if you use it with and ADF it scans 25ppm

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/il/en/sm/WF06b/15179-15179-64195-3445111-3445111-1118287-1118289.html?dnr=2

When I first got my scanner, I scanned 60 slabs in about 40 min at 300dpi. If you could auto feed slabs I'm sure I'd be faster.

You should be able to find a used one for about $80 shipped, with a major part of the cost going to shipping. The thing is huge!

from the link you gave above

"Scan speed

10 x 15 cm colour photo into Microsoft® Word: less than 24 sec; OCR a full page of text into Microsoft® Word: less than 37 sec; e-mail photo: less than 25 sec"

It looks like it would take close to 30 seconds per scan. I am not sure how many I could actually do with opening the cover and replacing the book as soon as it was completed.

The 25ppm is for the AutoDocFeed which is a totaly different operation.where the optics are fixed and the paper passes over it. With the flatbed, the lightsource and optics move along the bed.

Yeah you're not going to find a new one. The HP ScanJet 8300 was released in 2009. I think its MSRP was close to $600.

The specs show if you use it with and ADF it scans 25ppm

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/il/en/sm/WF06b/15179-15179-64195-3445111-3445111-1118287-1118289.html?dnr=2

When I first got my scanner, I scanned 60 slabs in about 40 min at 300dpi. If you could auto feed slabs I'm sure I'd be faster.

You should be able to find a used one for about $80 shipped, with a major part of the cost going to shipping. The thing is huge!

So...is there anything new or newer out there that will do the job? It's hard to believe that EVERY scanner made since 2009 can't handle slabs. :( Or, that not a single AIO will do the job well enough? I would rather have an AIO and I don't want to spend a boat load of cash either...let's say less than $400. :)

:foryou:

Bumping this in hopes that someone can show me a link for drivers for the HP Scanjet 8200. I've scoured the net, and this doesn't work for me :(http://driverscollection.com/?file_cid=39971554227cd66db7af016fa35

Any help would be appreciated!

This is the link to the 8200 (taken from the HP website) ..

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?lang=en&cc=us&sp4ts.oid=214601

When you arrive at the page that the above link takes you to, there are several links to various operating systems (Windows 7 32bit, Windows 7 64bit etc). Click on the link for the operating system that you have.

.. that will take you to the page to download the correct driver for your 8200 :)

Edited by Kenners