• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,634 posts in this topic

Closing the lid so the background is white really helps the scanner get the correct color gamut and range for a more accurate image. That's why the inside of the lid is white. :)

You also don't have to hold down or press the slab against the scanner; I can see your wrist tendons tensed. lol.

Edited by sl4ppy

cujobyte .. did this work for you? :wishluck:

Yes! Actually had to upgrade from xp to 7 so everything's working, thank you!

Ah! Good stuff!! No problem at all! Really glad you got yourself sorted (thumbs u

Sorry just a consensus the HP 8300 is the best? I didn't realize that scanner was $400+ on Amazon. eBay has them more realistic although used. Any other options? Sorry I sifted through the thread but 35+ pages my head is spinning.

Just setup a new HP Scanjet 8300, new out of box from ebay, and first 2 scans came out pretty nice at 300 dpi and lid closed. OS is Windows 7 64-bit, using downloaded drivers from HP's site.

Going to play with the settings a bit more tomorrow, and trim out the unused scanner image on the bottom and far right side.

CGCHulk159-94Whitefc_zps6a05da1d.jpg

CGCCptMarvel32-94Whitefc_zps86f34f54.jpg

Edited by Cosmic_Shel

Sorry just a consensus the HP 8300 is the best? I didn't realize that scanner was $400+ on Amazon. eBay has them more realistic although used. Any other options? Sorry I sifted through the thread but 35+ pages my head is spinning.

I've seen others recommend "last year's model" 8250. Toast got his on Ebay NIB for $70 as referenced earlier on this page.

I hear you on the 35 page review problem here and similarly in other threads that's why long ago I set my viewing preference to the highest amount per page and so I'm only only on page 8.

(shrug) of course, I can't remember exactly how I did it but I'm sure someone else here can tell you.

Just setup a new HP Scanjet 8300, new out of box from ebay, and first 2 scans came out pretty nice at 300 dpi and lid closed. OS is Windows 7 64-bit, using downloaded drivers from HP's site.

Going to play with the settings a bit more tomorrow, and trim out the unused scanner image on the bottom and far right side.

CGCHulk159-94Whitefc_zps6a05da1d.jpg

CGCCptMarvel32-94Whitefc_zps86f34f54.jpg

You're using the same scanner, OS and dpi as me. Have you tried using the 'Extreme' setting in the HP Solution Centre wizard? It might get rid of the blue hue.

Just sent back an Epson Work Force 7520. Does NOT scan slabs for :censored: ! Software and tech support is worthless! Blurry scans with ridiculous glare and no way to tame it with OEM software. Bought a "refurbished" Scanjet 8300 on ebay today for $118 shipped. Paid only $108 after a $10 ebay coupon. Can't wait to try it out on my slabs!

Just sent back an Epson Work Force 7520. Does NOT scan slabs for :censored: ! Software and tech support is worthless! Blurry scans with ridiculous glare and no way to tame it with OEM software. Bought a "refurbished" Scanjet 8300 on ebay today for $118 shipped. Paid only $108 after a $10 ebay coupon. Can't wait to try it out on my slabs!

Received the Scanjet 8300 yesterday and scanned a few slabs. Works much better than the Epson. Much less glare, scans are not blurry and you can actually read the fine print lettering on the slab, as well as the book.

Here is a question for those who know a bit about the 8300:

Do you find that you still have to use photo software to "enhance" the scan to look clean? For example, I have scanned about 7 books so far and in every case I had to use "Auto Correct" in my photo software to make the scans look bright. I'm just using free ABBYY Fine Reader scanner software to scan.

If, in the end, you do have to "enhance" the scan do you feel this would be misleading to potential buyers? Or, are they taking some risk by buying a book based on scans alone? I recently bought a book from heritage and I feel my scan presents a true representation of the book, when compared to the heritage scan. Do you think I am good to go?

Here is an example of my scan...auto-corrected.

2a9nmt1.jpg

Here is the scan that I based my purchase on from Heritage.

2m5e0it.jpg

Which scan is a truer representation of the book in hand?

edit: and the slab itself misrepresents the book in almost every case - those who crack books or submit them will know what I mean. :gossip:

Edited by lizards2

edit: and the slab itself misrepresents the book in almost every case - those who crack books or submit them will know what I mean. :gossip:

I see your point with the book being slabbed, but I feel my scan more closely represents the book in hand. I guess i was curious if anyone...or everyone...or some...find the need to auto or manually correct the scan in order for it to present more closely to the book in hand.

I see your point with the book being slabbed, but I feel my scan more closely represents the book in hand. I guess i was curious if anyone...or everyone...or some...find the need to auto or manually correct the scan in order for it to present more closely to the book in hand.

I just got a HP 8300. I use a Mac, so I needed to use VueScan because HP hasn't been updating the drivers for the latest versions of OS X. I have been fooling around with the settings, because the default settings don't seem to provide good representations of the slabs.

Glare is definitely a problem with GA slabs. Tried keeping the lid up and pressing down on the slab while scanning, but doesn't seem to help.

Example:

Scan-140503-0001_zps1fa6aa63.jpg

I just got a HP 8300. I use a Mac, so I needed to use VueScan because HP hasn't been updating the drivers for the latest versions of OS X. I have been fooling around with the settings, because the default settings don't seem to provide good representations of the slabs.

Glare is definitely a problem with GA slabs. Tried keeping the lid up and pressing down on the slab while scanning, but doesn't seem to help.

Example:

I also have a Mac and HP 8300.

I'm pretty sure removing most of the glare (>50%) is possible on the above book by pressing on the back over corresponding areas where glare is most egregious. :sumo:

That said, the inner well capsule seems to have substantial pucker issues that may resist total elimination of glare.

Example:

I also have a Mac and HP 8300.

I'm pretty sure removing most of the glare (>50%) is possible on the above book by pressing on the back over corresponding areas where glare is most egregious. :sumo:

That said, the inner well capsule seems to have substantial pucker issues that may resist total elimination of glare.

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try. (thumbs u

Do you use VueScan? If so, any thoughts on the best settings? hm

Anyone use the HP scanjet 3500c?

I'm trying to figure out how to clean the underside of the glass pane. It doesn't seem like I can just lift it out to wash the streaks off. It really shows up on some of my heavy dark colored cover scans, like this one:

WonderWoman199raw_zpsb00db9c0.jpg

I bought an HP 8250 a while back, new in the box for a damn reasonable price. I can;t remember if I posted any scans, but here's one and I'm pretty damn happy with this scanner:

saga1_9.8a.jpg