• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

Anyone who has a HP Scanjet 8250 using Mac OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite? I can't get my scanner to work, anyone have a driver or is experiencing this problem? Everything was fine before the upgrade.

My 8250 works fine with Yosemite. Are you using VueScan?

No, what's that? HP told me since the scanner came out in 2003, a driver isn't likely to happen for Yosemite, basically go buy another scanner.

It's software that will solve your problem. Google it. It's also described earlier in this thread.

Yea, after I posted I went and looked it up, looks good, but they want $30-40 though, I guess it's better than buying a new scanner though. Should I just get the standard option? All I wanna do is just scan slabs, all I use my scanner for. "Advanced" mode is is like $80

I think they used to have a free option, but I guess they eliminated it. I think the basic option is all that you will need.

Just got my scanner I bought on eBay today.

Paid $110 shipped. It's NOS (New Old Stock) lol

This is plug and play scan with no tweaking of settings. It's clear unlike the Epson Workforce all in one I bought for $100 used. Glad I returned it.

I'm running windows 8 64bit on a Razer Blade 14 inch laptop with USD 3.0

16288747441_f095504365_b.jpgSW8 test by PhoKingDelicious, on Flickr

I broke down and got the HP Scanjet 8250 on Ebay. Its way better than taking photos, I can say that. I do have the reflection issues with certain slabs, but not all. It's way quicker then dealing with photos, which was a major pain.

I was using my company's Bizhub all in one at work. I was using photobucket for hosting and then when company changed firewall, photobucket can no longer be accessed :(

So I switched to Flickr and so far I like it as it display larger pictures than PB.

Only downside to my owner scanner is if I scan at higher resolution it's slow but I can scan @ 600x600 at work super fast :)

Purchased an HP 8300 on ebay (still new in box). After a few issues (mostly old drivers and such from my previous scanners) it works like a champ.

A tip for those of you installing scanner software, please turn off whatever virus program you have before trying to install (especially HP software). That was my problem, at any rate.

If anybody has questions about the 8300, feel free to PM me. (thumbs u

Just got my officejet 7612 and I'm fairly impressed so far. Good clean scans and fairly fast print speed. If you're looking to replace your all in one printer and could scan legal size, take a look at this printer/scanner. I picked it up for 179 brnad new from hp.

Hi Guys - just wanted to confirm that an HP ScanJet 8200 does scan slabs and the scan area is legal size. I know there has been some confusion on whether or not the scan area was big enough to scan a full slab, but I can confirm that it does. I found a cheap one on the bay, got it today, and was up and running with VueScan in minutes.

Here is list of slab compatible scanners that was assembled back in June, will hve to check to see if there are any new additions since then.

Here is a list(Thanks Sharon!) from this thread of scanners that people have confirmed as compatible for slabs using the CCD format, many suggest using Vuescan for best editing tool.

Epson GT-2000

HP 7310 

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7410 All-in-one. 

HP Officejet 7612

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek V6UPL 

Microteks 9600-9700-9800 

Most new off the shelf units are CIS format, will be blurry(see HP 8600 example above). Editing will not eliminate the blurriness.

Updated

With regard to VueScan, I am still playing around with my settings, but I have used 400 DPI with brighness turned to 0.805. There is still some glare which I may never be able to get rid of, but this setting seemed to represent the book pretty well.

Hope that helps!

HtXxlwm.jpg

I updated my OS and mac doesn't support powerpc applications past 10.7!

I've been looking for a Microtek patch everywhere with no luck...

Has anyone else had these issues? Any help would be great...

:sorry:

Why not bootcamp your mac with Windows 8 or 7? Surely this would fix that issue since there are drivers for those OS.

I'm planning on buying an imac 5k soon and will do this for my hp 8300. Might consider getting a rasberry pi and run it off of my 2nd monitor with a switch to swap monitors.

I have a question for guys using an HP Scanner with vue scan. How do you get the scans to be grouped into files from the scanner. Before vue scan the scans showed up in my pictures grouped by dates. Now with vue scan they just show up in my pictures file 1 by 1.

I have a ton of scanning to do and would like neater files any ideas on the settings?