• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have an HP 8250 and like it.

QUESTION: What do you guys use to clean the glass surface of the scanner??

It gets smudged easily.

I guess the good criteria for whatever you use as a cleaner should be that:

1. It cleans well and dries quickly

2. It doesn't leave any residue or film or something that could get on the cover of a raw comic when the comic is placed on top of the glass surface

3. It doesn't cause any damage to the scanner

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. :)

Regular ol Windex is what I use. Just use a soft, lint-free cloth and spray onto the cloth (rather than onto the glass)

Unless you have grease problems, I find rubbing alcohol is better than any of the glass cleaners for scanner beds (and monitor glass).

That's funny, because those are the two things I had thought of too - Windex and rubbing alcohol. I had been leaning towards the rubbing alcohol as well. But wanted to make sure others thought it was safe on the scanner bed. Guess both will work, but I'll try the rubbing alcohol. What material do you use with the rubbing alcohol? That is, do you put it on a cloth (microfiber?) and then use the cloth to clean off the glass bed?

Thanks to all of you who responded - much appreciate it! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Scanjet-8300-Professional-Image-Scanner-Flat-Bed-8-5-X-14N-I-B-/151485425509?pt=US_Scanners&hash=item23453c2765&autorefresh=true

New old stock

you can purchase squaretrade for extra piece of mind but if you have a Visa Signature credit card, it comes with an extended warranty as part of the perks on Visa Signature.

Who told you the software doesn't work? Follow this link, that scanner should work in Mountain Lion no problem.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03428470#c02917078_UpgradeToOsX10.7

Interesting. They must have begun offering updated drivers fairly recently. They weren't available when I bought my 8250 earlier this year.

Yes, Mountain is fine but upgrade to Mavericks and no more scanning on my HP8250

This is what I use to scan my raws and slabs

Don't know the exact model but here is a picture I found for reference of what it looks exactly like. Only issue is this is at my work so only scan before and after work hours :(

KonicaMinolta-bizhubC451.png

After some Tech investigation, I know why the 8500 doesn't work with slab. It uses CIS technology instead of CCD. CIS has many advantage but a very small depth of view making it blurry for slab.

Unfortunately, it s the same for the 7500 and the exemode :sorry:

This. Wish I read his thread before I bought some (cheap - $10 ink) for the 8500 that I got from work. I'm gonna try and find a 7300 series one online somewhere. Does anyone know if the 7300 series Officejet requires ink to scan? I'm assuming yes...?

Jerome

So like i said in another thread. I would post some information that I have on scanners. I too am plagued by having a very nice all in one Epson that loves to cut the bottom of the scans because it's just not quite big enough. I take my slabs to work where I can scan them using a massive Canon 6550 copier/scanner/everything but the kitchen sink...haha.

I was looking for a newer model scanner to scan slabs since I will be having hundreds of slabs to post in the coming year. After a bit of research I have found that most are over $1k with a few in the $400-700 range.

I wanted a nice cheaper alternative that isn't a Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp tech. Low and behold I found a reasonable priced scanner (to me at least) that was only $280 new, using LED tech and scans tabloid size, otherwise 12"x17".

Plustek 1180

I've already ordered the scanner and should be at my house on Monday where I can test it. If people are interested in the performance let me know and I can post scans of some books that I have for your review. I don't know if people are willing to spend almost $300 on a scanner but at least I'm not limited to old technology which won't work on windows 7 or 8.

Hope the info helps.

I picked up a cheap HP-8250 off of E-Bay and had disastrous results last night. I have basic VueScan so I did not bother uploading the drivers which may have been part of the issue. I got a couple 8 1/2x11" scans to come thru no problem but the scanner freaked out when I tried to scan a slab via a 8 1/2 x 14" scan. One scan looked good and then half way thru the second scan the scanner jumped to the left and started making a grinding sound. Couldn't get it to stop until I unplugged it. Restarted the scanner but then my computer started lagging and acted strange.

I restarted the computer and got a couple good scans and then it did it again. I'm using Windows 8 on a newer laptop and its really the only computer I've got access to except my wife's Mac which I'm reluctant to use. Any advice?

I have the same issue some times. It happens most in two instances.

1) When I have left the scanner running but not scanning. e.g. If I scan 4 slabs then go fix dinner and try to scan again without restarting VueScan.

2) When I forget to switch to my "Scan Slab" profile and use the default settings.

I picked up a cheap HP-8250 off of E-Bay and had disastrous results last night. I have basic VueScan so I did not bother uploading the drivers which may have been part of the issue. I got a couple 8 1/2x11" scans to come thru no problem but the scanner freaked out when I tried to scan a slab via a 8 1/2 x 14" scan. One scan looked good and then half way thru the second scan the scanner jumped to the left and started making a grinding sound. Couldn't get it to stop until I unplugged it. Restarted the scanner but then my computer started lagging and acted strange.

I restarted the computer and got a couple good scans and then it did it again. I'm using Windows 8 on a newer laptop and its really the only computer I've got access to except my wife's Mac which I'm reluctant to use. Any advice?

Got one through Amazon - aside form the person not knowing how to ship- they left the top feeder in place and did not secure it properly. So - one of the plastic mounts busted when unpacking - but I really do not need the feeder anyway for slabs.

Works good with vuescan (windows 8). I had to tweak sizing to get the full slab to scan and brightness, but good reliable accurate scans from there. Some minor glare- but 100% better than my camera shots.

I did download the HP drivers. Do not know if that helps. Would try that first.

The grinding sound - makes me worry a bit. Might be something functionally off with the scanner that kicks in when everything warms up. Try only 1-2 scans - then wait an hour and try 1-2 again. Wait another hour - then try several (you want to see if you can get it to fail again). You may have to bably the scanner - which is not the greatest solution, but unless you can return it may be a workable one.

Edited by W16227

So like i said in another thread. I would post some information that I have on scanners. I too am plagued by having a very nice all in one Epson that loves to cut the bottom of the scans because it's just not quite big enough. I take my slabs to work where I can scan them using a massive Canon 6550 copier/scanner/everything but the kitchen sink...haha.

I was looking for a newer model scanner to scan slabs since I will be having hundreds of slabs to post in the coming year. After a bit of research I have found that most are over $1k with a few in the $400-700 range.

I wanted a nice cheaper alternative that isn't a Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp tech. Low and behold I found a reasonable priced scanner (to me at least) that was only $280 new, using LED tech and scans tabloid size, otherwise 12"x17".

Plustek 1180

I've already ordered the scanner and should be at my house on Monday where I can test it. If people are interested in the performance let me know and I can post scans of some books that I have for your review. I don't know if people are willing to spend almost $300 on a scanner but at least I'm not limited to old technology which won't work on windows 7 or 8.

Hope the info helps.

Zacreth, please do post some scans. I would be interested to see if this will actual scan slabs and if it does the job well, I will definitely buy one. Thanks for being a test subject lol

Plustek 1180

Hope the info helps.

Zacreth, please do post some scans. I would be interested to see if this will actual scan slabs and if it does the job well, I will definitely buy one. Thanks for being a test subject lol

Haha okay no problem. I have a couple thick slabs and regular slabs. I might have make a video or just a bunch of pictures.

I do know one thing... the box is heavy than my tankless water heater I just bought as well..haha.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with an 8250 that's possessed. When it starts grinding my dogs start howling and the wife yells at me...

If I keep scanning one slab after another I have zero issues and like thunsicker said, if you take a break it's guaranteed to annoy everyone in the house.