• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

My wife heard me complaining about my scanner not being able to scan slabs and bought me a Canon Lide 120. It's a flat bed. Very sweet, but I have no idea if it can scan slabs clearly at high resolution.

Any knowledge out there??

Thanks guys.

I don't think it will work well. I believe this is a CIS scanner, which will make slabs look blurry.You want a CCD scanner. The problem is they don't make many CCD scanners anymore, at least not for less than a $1000 or more.

You will need to buy a used CCD scanner off of eBay, etc.

I just picked up a used HP 8250 and have a question: the person I bought it from said it's just a plug and play scanner - that I don't need to install any drives. He demonstrated it to me and it looked fine but I just want to be sure. Is there anything I need to install to get the best scanning results?

Thanks for your replies in advance and sorry if this has been asked somewhere earlier in this thread.

On my Mac, it really wouldn't work until I installed VueScan. At the time I bought it, HP had stopped updating the Mac drivers for this model. I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread that updated Mac drivers are now available from HP.

Ok, been reading through the comments going about 10 pages back. Does anyone have any experiece with a HP officejet pro 8620? Scans are blurry enough to be annoying. If there is a setup I need to create for a custom document profile can someone let me know? Just want to try and make this work :thumbsup:

Ok, been reading through the comments going about 10 pages back. Does anyone have any experiece with a HP officejet pro 8620? Scans are blurry enough to be annoying. If there is a setup I need to create for a custom document profile can someone let me know? Just want to try and make this work :thumbsup:

I believe that one uses CIS technology instead of CCD so it's too new to be useful on the slabs. I will dig later for the list of verified scanners later.

I purchased the GT-20000 as well recently used, and I have no complaints thusfar. There is no glare from scanning CGC slabs (except for deep-welled ones for extra thick books). It has a 11.7 x 17 scanning area, and best of all, it works right out of the box without any fuss or muss. In terms of results, the color fidelity is fairly accurate right off the bat and it scans up to 1200 dpi.

Epson GT-20000 is what I use. I was in Staples and had seen those legal scanners. This saved me a trip and the aggravation of bringing it back.

Photo removed because photobucket made it look like I was running with the camera when I took the photo. It's actually sharp and crisp raw off the scanner.

I picked up my HP8250, installed the drivers, plugged it in, attached the USB and nada!

I should add I'm not tech savy and maybe I did something wrong (but I think I did it all properly).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Did you get VueScan? I've got it and my 8250 is working great.

I picked up my HP8250, installed the drivers, plugged it in, attached the USB and nada!

I should add I'm not tech savy and maybe I did something wrong (but I think I did it all properly).

More info? Mac or PC? What scan program are you using?

More info? Mac or PC? What scan program are you using?

I'm installing VueScan now and it seems to have resolved the issue!

Thanks Andrew!!

I believe that one uses CIS technology instead of CCD so it's too new to be useful on the slabs. I will dig later for the list of verified scanners later.

This is what I was afraid of after reading those 10 pages. :cry: My wife loves the printer so I don't see me getting a different one now.

This is what I was afraid of after reading those 10 pages. :cry: My wife loves the printer so I don't see me getting a different one now.

Get a new wife? (shrug)

Here is list of slab compatible scanners that was assembled back in June, will hve to check to see if there are any new additions since then.

Here is a list(Thanks Sharon!) from this thread of scanners that people have confirmed as compatible for slabs using the CCD format, many suggest using Vuescan for best editing tool.

Epson GT-2000

HP 7310 

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7410 All-in-one. 

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200?? (may not be legal size)

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek V6UPL 

Microteks 9600-9700-9800 

Most new off the shelf units are CIS format, will be blurry(see HP 8600 example above). Editing will not eliminate the blurriness.

Get a new wife? (shrug)

Yeah, I don't want a new one of those either :lol:

Get a new wife? (shrug)

Yeah, I don't want a new one of those either :lol:

Maybe negotiate having two? Then after that solve the Middle East and find sasquatch.

Anyone who has a HP Scanjet 8250 using Mac OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite? I can't get my scanner to work, anyone have a driver or is experiencing this problem? Everything was fine before the upgrade.

My 8250 works fine with Yosemite. Are you using VueScan?

Anyone who has a HP Scanjet 8250 using Mac OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite? I can't get my scanner to work, anyone have a driver or is experiencing this problem? Everything was fine before the upgrade.

No, what's that? HP told me since the scanner came out in 2003, a driver isn't likely to happen for Yosemite, basically go buy another scanner.

No, what's that? HP told me since the scanner came out in 2003, a driver isn't likely to happen for Yosemite, basically go buy another scanner.

It's software that will solve your problem. Google it. It's also described earlier in this thread.

It's software that will solve your problem. Google it. It's also described earlier in this thread.

Yea, after I posted I went and looked it up, looks good, but they want $30-40 though, I guess it's better than buying a new scanner though. Should I just get the standard option? All I wanna do is just scan slabs, all I use my scanner for. "Advanced" mode is is like $80