• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Chipping - Is there any issue worse than AF15?

33 posts in this topic

While perusing the AF15 club thread, one cannot help but notice the high number of copies with marvel chipping.

Is there any other single issue of any series that compares, or am I just being jaded because we have a thread dedicated to a single issue of a comic book?

I rather get a af15 2.0 without chipping than 7.5 with chipping. Upper mid grades should not have chipping.

I mean I get your point but your numbers seem a bit extreme, IMHO of course.

I'd take a 7.5 with chipping any day of the week! Most likely that 2.0 is going to have ungodly staining, pieces missing and other unsightly defects that a 7.5 would not. But, this is obvious. So, how "bad" is MC to collectors? I mean, CGC doesn't list it in their notation section, whereas they do for some books with writing or tape on them. I only look for books with little to no MC myself, since it's just as bad as pieces missing to me. If I'm shelling out big $$ for a blue chip book, it should be as best as it can be in a particular grade.

I remember talking to an old time dealer who told me that every issue of FF #1 he had ever seen had chipping. This is pre internet of course, but he said it was just one of those books that always had it.

I know now that this isn't the case but it's interesting to compare perceptions of the hobby pre internet and post internet.

I remember talking to an old time dealer who told me that every issue of FF #1 he had ever seen had chipping. This is pre internet of course, but he said it was just one of those books that always had it.

I know now that this isn't the case but it's interesting to compare perceptions of the hobby pre internet and post internet.

That is interesting. I wonder how many other urban legends are out there.

Some people were convinced that every copy that does not have chipping must be trimmed.

Some people were convinced that every copy that does not have chipping must be trimmed.

:o

While perusing the AF15 club thread, one cannot help but notice the high number of copies with marvel chipping.

Is there any other single issue of any series that compares, or am I just being jaded because we have a thread dedicated to a single issue of a comic book?

You stole my thoughts. :sumo::baiting:

Here's what I was thinking about for a poll:

Top ten SA books noted for chipping? (anyone know how to poll?)

1) AF 15

2)ASM 1 -per my wife

3)FF 1

4)Hulk 1

5)FF 4

6)ASM 2

7)X-Men 1

8)FF2

9)DD 1

10)Avengers 4

Is my order correct?

You stole my thoughts. :sumo::baiting:

Here's what I was thinking about for a poll:

Top ten SA books noted for chipping? (anyone know how to poll?)

1) AF 15

2)ASM 1 -per my wife

3)FF 1

4)Hulk 1

5)FF 4

6)ASM 2

7)X-Men 1

8)FF2

9)DD 1

10)Avengers 4

Is my order correct?

No, because this entire concept is somewhat illusory--we remember chipping on these books the most because we look at them the most because they're keys. The issues that have the worst chipping are essentially random to anyone besides workers at the printing plants at that time and would be very, VERY difficult to determine...the nature of the question itself encourages biased subjectivity.