• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,536 posts in this topic

On 1/28/2022 at 5:33 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I hear you and want to agree with you, but the market continues to do what it does.  In addition to the X-Men, we will see the FF, Blade, and most likely Ghost Rider, among others, come back to the screen.  Despite the fact that all of these characters (along with their supporting cast. e.g. Silver Surfer, Dr. Doom, and Magneto) have been seen by movie audiences before, the new round of movie hype has all of their books skyrocketing.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two, maybe three, explanations for this -- putting aside the obvious macro forces that have been discussed at length, e.g. people (the lucky ones) with more disposable income during the pandemic, sudden spikes in wealth leading to money that's looking for a place to go, etc.

First, there's a new generation of collectors plus a lot of "new money" entering the comics market and those people are driving the hype train, not only on these books but on collectibles in general.  Perhaps as a corollary to the above, this new money believes that the MCU is the only "canonical" manifestation of these characters and therefore their impending introduction to the MCU "legitimizes" them to these buyers in a way they hadn't been before.  (This latter comment applies less to the X-Men, who had a more robustly developed film franchise, than the others.)

Second, there's a speculative "gold rush" mentality that is being exploited by sellers, compounded by what might be at least some temporary suppression of supply caused by the giant backlog at CGC.  The reason I say "maybe three" explanations is that there's always a question of whether any outright market manipulation is taking place.  It's hard to pin down and harder to prove, but would it shock any of to learn that it's going on?  The gold rush / Wild West environment inevitably creates the opportunity for grift, which means it's got to be happening in at least some corners of the market.  I just have no idea how pervasive it might be or even exactly what form it might take.

My comment was more towards the disconnect between movies and top of the line blue chip SA Marvel books. I just don’t think a movie per se will make any of these books ''double in value''. I can see it for BA stuff like Moon Knight, Ghost Rider etc those are speculation driven with no track record in pop culture. But FF1 Hulk 1 AF15 XM1 are proven performers and movies or not they will keep performing. I’m glad the MCU exists and all but the direct correlation to comic prices is wearing thin for me… 

On 1/28/2022 at 9:04 PM, dikran1 said:

My comment was more towards the disconnect between movies and top of the line blue chip SA Marvel books. I just don’t think a movie per se will make any of these books ''double in value''. I can see it for BA stuff like Moon Knight, Ghost Rider etc those are speculation driven with no track record in pop culture. But FF1 Hulk 1 AF15 XM1 are proven performers and movies or not they will keep performing. I’m glad the MCU exists and all but the direct correlation to comic prices is wearing thin for me… 

To reduce to its simplest terms, more movies means more exposure and therefore more people potentially interested in getting in the game.  So even books with "established" value will grow if and when demand increases.

On 1/28/2022 at 9:04 PM, dikran1 said:

Comics also have an inverse relationship with interest rates...as interest rates head back north that will cause downward pressure, especially for those guys that are highly leveraged sitting on a pile of debt.  They'll be the first ones to sell/dump, and if that triggers a wave of selling panic will set in and cause others to sell.  I think we're due for a healthy correction, and it's a long time coming.....

On 1/29/2022 at 2:15 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

To reduce to its simplest terms, more movies means more exposure and therefore more people potentially interested in getting in the game.  So even books with "established" value will grow if and when demand increases.

You honestly think someone will watch No Way Home and decide NOW is the time to drop 75k on an AF15??...

On 1/30/2022 at 8:35 AM, dikran1 said:

You honestly think someone will watch No Way Home and decide NOW is the time to drop 75k on an AF15??...

Maybe not at this current moment, but No Way Home was extremely successful. There are kids that will remember this movie into adulthood. And people are always trying to relive their childhood.

• Administrator
On 1/30/2022 at 12:30 PM, alexgross.com said:

um, this blue label on a restored book seems to be an error. book is on comiclink for the upcoming auction. would not cgc want this book returned for the correct RESTORED label? @CGC Mike

Thanks for the heads up.  I will notify the proper people about this.

On 1/30/2022 at 12:30 PM, alexgross.com said:

um, this blue label on a restored book seems to be an error. book is on comiclink for the upcoming auction. would not cgc want this book returned for the correct RESTORED label? @CGC Mike

09E8FB26-07FA-42EA-8F7B-C57DB06DAFF3.png

On 1/30/2022 at 7:49 PM, CGC Mike said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I will notify the proper people about this.

It's not technically the wrong label. The character labels were originally only blue. Restored books with character labels got blue labels and notes like this. 

Some devious sellers tried to exploit this. 

On 1/30/2022 at 10:03 PM, KCOComics said:

It's not technically the wrong label. The character labels were originally only blue. Restored books with character labels got blue labels and notes like this. 

Some devious sellers tried to exploit this. 

I think the label has to be more obvious than a fine print that will likely be missed by many buyers.  Especially if the seller does try to conceal the print with a blurred photo.  Restored labels need to be easily identified with big purple coloring across the entire label so buyers are immediately notified....it should be a red stop light, not a 'no littering' sign on the highway.

On 1/28/2022 at 4:07 PM, dikran1 said:

At this point in comic collecting history, have people not realized how the game is played? Who is actually waiting for a movie to buy this book at inflated hype prices?... Why would a movie (of which there have been many already) make any difference in how this particular book performs in the future?... (shrug)

Because you got start somewhere.  A movie releases to millions of people who weren't collectors previously.  And out of that millions if even 0.1% become interested in collecting comic books, then you may have 100x'd the number of people looking to buy that book. 

My true story, I got started collecting in 2019 February.  Reason being, I thought Captain Marvel and Shazam would be mega hits.  Bought the first apps of both (at inflated prices) because I liked the movies upon seeing them; proceeded to lose my a** on them as they didn't do as well in reviews and I didn't know anything about comics.  Educated myself on collecting and investing books, and now able to look back at those two books being as only a few of the books that I can count on one hand that I sold for a loss.  

Edited by Bluemedgroup

On 1/31/2022 at 7:39 AM, spreads said:

I think the label has to be more obvious than a fine print that will likely be missed by many buyers.  Especially if the seller does try to conceal the print with a blurred photo.  Restored labels need to be easily identified with big purple coloring across the entire label so buyers are immediately notified....it should be a red stop light, not a 'no littering' sign on the highway.

I feel the same way about reprints.  Why cause unneeded anguish?  Is it that hard to put the word "REPRINT" clearly on the cover?  Instead its tiny changes to the color of the Marvel logo in Ultimate Fallout 4 for example or the UPC code placement.  Hell, even CGC got fooled and labelled this reprint the real deal.  

UF4.JPG

Edited by Bluemedgroup

On 1/31/2022 at 9:42 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

Because you got start somewhere.  A movie releases to millions of people who weren't collectors previously.  And out of that millions if even 0.1% become interested in collecting comic books, then you may have 100x'd the number of people looking to buy that book. 

My true story, I got started collecting in 2019 February.  Reason being, I thought Captain Marvel and Shazam would be mega hits.  Bought the first apps of both (at inflated prices) because I liked the movies upon seeing them; proceeded to lose my a** on them as they didn't do as well in reviews and I didn't know anything about comics.  Educated myself on collecting and investing books, and now able to look back at those two books being as only a few of the books that I can count on one hand that I sold for a loss.  

Captain Marvel was a Billion dollar movie. I think it was a mega hit. (shrug)

I personally loved Shazam.  And I believe it was a big hit too.  Enough, that they've made a sequel.

I agree with your point though.  If 0.1% start collecting (which we all hope they do) it's a LOT of people.  Like yourself, they might make some mistakes in judgement (although "buying what you like" as you did, I don't think is ever a mistake).  If they stay with the hobby (which we hope they do) they'll get educated and make better purchases.  Remember it's a "hobby" so enjoy.  If you happen to make some money at the same time, that's cool too.

On 1/31/2022 at 8:55 AM, gadzukes said:

Captain Marvel was a Billion dollar movie. I think it was a mega hit. (shrug)

I personally loved Shazam.  And I believe it was a big hit too.  Enough, that they've made a sequel.

I agree with your point though.  If 0.1% start collecting (which we all hope they do) it's a LOT of people.  Like yourself, they might make some mistakes in judgement (although "buying what you like" as you did, I don't think is ever a mistake).  If they stay with the hobby (which we hope they do) they'll get educated and make better purchases.  Remember it's a "hobby" so enjoy.  If you happen to make some money at the same time, that's cool too.

Billion dollars, but it generally didn't get high reviews 3.0/5.  

My biggest issue with Shazam was they didn't explain why the wizard picked Billy Batson (because he had run out of time). Honestly, Billy Batson is supposed to be pure of heart, but they portrayed him as a thief, which seemed like a huge plot hole to me.  

Yep, I bought what I like. Yes it is a hobby, but I don't think there is any collector who would not like to make money.  Now several years in to the hobby, I feel like "buy what you like" is a good saying for collectors, but a terrible saying if you are trying for investors.  30 years ago when I was a kid, I collected a short box of comics.  I bought what I liked.  Turned out what I liked was drek and gimmicky foil covers from the 90's.  I just wished the comic store owner would have told me, here son, save your money up and for $20 you can buy this Hulk 181.  

Edited by Bluemedgroup

On 1/31/2022 at 9:42 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

My comment was solely for top of the line SA Marvel keys. It’s sorta like the whole « expected value » thing in trading cards where a sealed box is worth many multiples the value of the individual cards. Lesser keys are affected by movies and TV but blue chip 5-6-7 digit books are not affected by such things, they live in the rarified air that only select individuals can play.
If I’m wrong, fine, I’m just a random guy on the internet so who cares? 😂

On 1/31/2022 at 9:48 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

I feel the same way about reprints.  Why cause unneeded anguish?  Is it that hard to put the word "REPRINT" clearly on the cover?  Instead its tiny changes to the color of the Marvel logo in Ultimate Fallout 4 for example or the UPC code placement.  Hell, even CGC got fooled and labelled this reprint the real deal.  

UF4.JPG

Thats a brutal miss there.

On 1/31/2022 at 8:55 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

Billion dollars, but it generally didn't get high reviews 3.0/5.  

My biggest issue with Shazam was they didn't explain why the wizard picked Billy Batson (because he had run out of time). Honestly, Billy Batson is supposed to be pure of heart, but they portrayed him as a thief, which seemed like a huge plot hole to me.  

Yep, I bought what I like. Yes it is a hobby, but I don't think there is any collector who would not like to make money.  Now several years in to the hobby, I feel like "buy what you like" is a good saying for collectors, but a terrible saying if you are trying for investors.  30 years ago when I was a kid, I collected a short box of comics.  I bought what I liked.  Turned out what I liked was drek and gimmicky foil covers from the 90's.  I just wished the comic store owner would have told me, here son, save your money up and for $20 you can buy this Hulk 181.  

Bluemedgroup - were you the individual who posted here late 2020/early 2021 about "cleaning out your savings account" to buy a copy of X-men #1 in 9.2?   I believe the comment was something about your money not earning anything anyway so you were going to see if it would fund college for the kids.      

On 1/31/2022 at 2:25 PM, DC# said:

Bluemedgroup - were you the individual who posted here late 2020/early 2021 about "cleaning out your savings account" to buy a copy of X-men #1 in 9.2?   I believe the comment was something about your money not earning anything anyway so you were going to see if it would fund college for the kids.      

Yes sir, that was me.  After my initial failures, I gave myself enough collecting and investing knowledge to be comfortable and confident with the huge decision to pull the trigger on that book.  If I hadn't, probably at least half that money would be collecting 0.5% interest in a cash savings account today.   

On 1/31/2022 at 3:25 PM, DC# said:

Bluemedgroup - were you the individual who posted here late 2020/early 2021 about "cleaning out your savings account" to buy a copy of X-men #1 in 9.2?  

A 9.2 purchased at the end of 2020 would have been an AMAZING investment if you were able to find one.