• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

On 6/14/2022 at 1:02 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

My favorite book from the entire SA or close to it. Truly a great series. My point was there is hard times in life and it is not easy but you have to pull threw and humans for the most part pull threw. People will have to learn to live without always going out to restaurants/bars and going on vacations. Might do them some going to learn to live a easy and simple life without always having desires to fulfill and learn to be content with what they do have.

No disagreement here. Part of living without is selling or not buying comic books when the economy and market are headed in the wrong direction.

I like the book. I just think after it’s run up and the economy and market headed in the direction they are going that this book even in 9.2 is over valued. The last 8.0 was down over $25k. 

My opinion is just that one opinion out of billions in the world.

I'm not talking about the world collapsing!  I'm talking about comic keys that have increased in value at an unsustainable rate within the last two years, correcting in price.  Long term they will always have value, but the argument here that you've made and in which I've disagreed with are prices from now 2-3 years out.  But only time will tell....

On 6/16/2022 at 9:47 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

Well that stain on the cover sure turned off buyers as it would have done to me as well. Sold for 204 000$ last one sold for 276 000$ that did not have a major stain on the cover.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/x-men-1-marvel-1963-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7274-91031.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

It looks more like a printing error than a stain to me...I'd think if it were a stain the book would not have graded 9.2?

Edited by silverseeker
Made minor change.

On 6/13/2022 at 7:08 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Will see soon enough if it comes close or breaks the last record for a 9.2 that sold not that long ago for 276k. So far it is at 180k.

Didn't even come close!  Someone got a pretty good deal at $204k. 

Could also be a sign of the economy and recession. I was tracking some other books in that Heritage auction. 

The AF15 7.5 only sold for $216k.  A 7.0 sold for $240k by HA just two weeks ago on 6/3/22.

And the FF5 9.4 sold for $162k, gocollect had its FMV at $210k.  

On 6/14/2022 at 11:31 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

One thing that is great about comic books is that it is a worldwide collectible not like say sports cards that is more concentrated in the USA/Canada. So if one country gets hit harder there is always many more nations where people still buy comics. Superheroes are loved globally or at least by many many nations around the globe.

But if you are scared or nervous sell. Or if you can pay off that house or condo with your collectibles and not have to live on rent then go ahead and get that paid off or any other outstanding debts. They your life will be much easier to manage going forward.

By the way I worked a hard physical blue collar job my whole life and am retired so I know how it is for most people out there. I never had it easy but go threw it and built a good enough life and retirement. One day at the time. If you can't afford advanced schooling don't go and learn a trade that you can afford and always continue learning on your own in your down time to better yourself. I still to this very day read every day and have my dictionary right beside me to continue to learn. That is a huge thing in life learning till it is time to leave this planet.

I also saw so many just waste it all away on drugs, alcohol, gambling, etc. You make choices in life and have to live with them. I chose to be 100% sober (no gambling nothing or any other of that type of life) and organize my life around the age of 26-28. Was is easy no but was it worth it yes.

Good lesson in life to always keep learning.  I have an uncle who worked at 7-11 and injured his back on the job.  Got full disability off it, but he was still functional. I asked him why he doesn't get another job and he replied, "Why?".  So for 30 years or so, he lived off the 7-11 checks in the mail.  The entire time, my dad told him to use to down time to learn another trade like computers or learning about stocks.  He refused and simply spent his time watching movies.  I don't know the details, but somehow last year the checks stopped coming.  Now he is broke and asking relatives for money.  Imagine what he could have done with his life instead of wasting it all on movies. 

On 6/16/2022 at 9:47 AM, Batmanis#1 said:

Well that stain on the cover sure turned off buyers as it would have done to me as well. Sold for 204 000$ last one sold for 276 000$ that did not have a major stain on the cover.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/x-men-1-marvel-1963-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7274-91031.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Strange.. When I typed in the CGC cert # to look up the grader's notes, it says there is an error hm

On 6/16/2022 at 12:34 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Almost looks like fungus/mold on the paper or again maybe just a stain. But in no way is this book a strong 9.2. Could argue it is not even a 9.0 at best.

It's hard to imagine that it is a stain or fungus/mold.  I don't think those defects are allowed in books graded 9.2 or higher.  I'm leaning towards a printing defect of some sort.

On 6/16/2022 at 12:44 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Hope so for the buyer. Any chance it got worse over time never saw this 9.2 before this sale?

I thought about that too, but if it were based on say improper storage conditions, I would think a larger part of the book would be affected and not just that area.

On 6/16/2022 at 12:47 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

It didn’t lose $72k just on the stain or whatever the defect is. The book, like many, are overvalued.

On 6/16/2022 at 1:57 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

Good lesson in life to always keep learning.  I have an uncle who worked at 7-11 and injured his back on the job.  Got full disability off it, but he was still functional. I asked him why he doesn't get another job and he replied, "Why?".  So for 30 years or so, he lived off the 7-11 checks in the mail.  The entire time, my dad told him to use to down time to learn another trade like computers or learning about stocks.  He refused and simply spent his time watching movies.  I don't know the details, but somehow last year the checks stopped coming.  Now he is broke and asking relatives for money.  Imagine what he could have done with his life instead of wasting it all on movies. 

he probably knows a lot about movies tho!

On 6/17/2022 at 1:57 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

The entire time, my dad told him to use to down time to learn another trade like computers or learning about stocks.  He refused and simply spent his time watching movies.  I don't know the details, but somehow last year the checks stopped coming.  Now he is broke and asking relatives for money.  Imagine what he could have done with his life instead of wasting it all on movies. 

He should have developed a career as a movie critic

On 6/21/2022 at 6:47 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

I don't think it's the interest rates so much...It's because I bought a copy of X-Men #1 then the prices started dropping.

My super-power is buying at the peak ;-)

It's like they say, only one lucky person buys the lowest sale. Guess we found out who is on the other side lol.  

I've looked through a lot of pages and tried searching but haven't found anyone talking about LIME green vs DARK green copies of X-Men #1.   Any insight as to which is preferred in the market or is it really not an issue with collector's?

Just curious and thanks in advance for any responses.