• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

I swear I'm going to claw my way back into this club even if it means having to BUILD my own copy again :D

Bought an incomplete CGC NG copy (missing the entire cover and first page - though the back page of that wrap is still there, and the second wrap has a chunk missing from the top left), and now managed to track down a loose front cover for it locally. Next up is sourcing a back cover replacement (that will be super easy) and then lastly just need to find someone who can sell me the first page only (or the entire first wrap, that would mean less work overall).

Still debating what I want to do with it overall, either repair it myself to a 0.5/1.0 Universal grade OR send it to a pro for proper leaf casting and get the book structurally solid and pull in a conserved 3.5 or better grade. 

20230714_170610.thumb.jpg.712ea9389bdc72155d5de0c59d554758.jpg

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 14/7/2023 at 23:13, Sauce Dog said:

Juro que voy a abrirme camino de regreso a este club, incluso si eso significa tener que CONSTRUIR mi propia copia nuevamente. :D

Compré una copia incompleta de CGC NG (falta la portada completa y la primera página, aunque la última página de esa envoltura todavía está allí) , y a la segunda envoltura le falta un trozo en la parte superior izquierda), y ahora logró localizar una portada suelta localmente. El siguiente paso es obtener un reemplazo de la contraportada (eso será muy fácil) y luego, por último, solo necesito encontrar a alguien que pueda venderme solo la primera página (o la primera envoltura completa, eso significaría menos trabajo en general).

Todavía estoy debatiendo qué quiero hacer con él en general, repararlo yo mismo a un grado Universal 0.5/1.0 O enviarlo a un profesional para que realice una fundición de hojas adecuada y obtenga el libro estructuralmente sólido y obtenga un grado conservado de 3.5 o mejor. 

20230714_170610.thumb.jpg.712ea9389bdc72155d5de0c59d554758.jpg

I love these kinds of challenges. Please report your progress here 😃

I got my copy missing page 13 which I was able to get later graded by CGC. Right now it's loose in place but I always think about attaching it because it has the holes for the staples. 

IMG_20220625_151939.jpg

IMG_20220627_213438.jpg

IMG_20220323_162846.jpg

On 7/11/2023 at 8:02 AM, kobra65 said:

Had this XM1 book restored, and then graded.

mailcall1.jpg

Xm1-6.5R.jpg

Curious, why did you restore it as opposed to just sending it in for a blue label?  Did it look that bad before the restoration work?  In terms of monetary value, the loss of a PLOD label + restoration cost would likely exceed the grade drop of a blue label.  

On 8/1/2023 at 1:49 AM, kobra65 said:

was already a restored book in low grade and the back cover was the wrong one. Far more value as it sits today at a 6.5 restored with the great work done to it.

Well done. It's a gorgeous copy now. Congrats!!! 👏👏👏👏👏

On 8/14/2023 at 7:49 PM, Sauce Dog said:

THE OPERATION BEGINS.

All the tape has been removed from the cover (pieces holding chunks on), while this was by far the most delicate Silver Age paper I've removed tape from it went very well overall.

image0000001-1.jpg

How in the world did you get the tape off without tearing away the colors?

On 8/16/2023 at 11:12 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

Goldin Auction 9.2 27 days to go. Didn't we see this same book a while ago with the white stains in the lower right corner? 

X-Men #1 (1963 Marvel) – CGC 9.2 – Origin and 1st Appearance of the X-Men (Professor X, Cyclops, Iceman, Angel, Beast, Marvel Girl) and Magneto on Goldin Auctions

Sold at Heritage just over a year ago for $204k. Not sure if it is the right time to sell this book?

On 8/14/2023 at 7:49 PM, Sauce Dog said:

THE OPERATION BEGINS.

All the tape has been removed from the cover (pieces holding chunks on), while this was by far the most delicate Silver Age paper I've removed tape from it went very well overall.

image0000001-1.jpg

nice! what is the plan here now, though?  pretty cool project; would be interested to know on just how small a budget you've been able to accomplish it so far and how long it took.

On 8/21/2023 at 4:33 PM, speedcake said:

nice! what is the plan here now, though?  pretty cool project; would be interested to know on just how small a budget you've been able to accomplish it so far and how long it took.

The following steps are what I'll be doing on my side:

• Remove tape from front cover
  • Remove restoration from page 1 (pieces added around the borders, slight CT bottom of the page)
  • Remove reproduction pages from interior (the incomplete interior I bought had a reproduction cover and first wrap attached using double sided tape - ugh. CGC missed the tape and thought it was glue which would have been easier to remove)
  • Harvest the new matching donor back cover from the other comic I have (Sgt. Fury #3, the rest of the comic will be used as material by Jerry to help make paper pulp for the leaf casting process)

After all that is said and done it is going to be sent to the wonderful Jerry the Jitterbug on YouTube who has agreed to take on leaf casting the book back together.

My entire goal is to keep the entire process to as far below the GPA last sale for a 0.5 as possible (Last sold in July 2023 for $3000), and so far if everything stays on target it looks like I should be able to complete everything for around $2400. Having this come back as a 1.0 Conserved would be the low end outlook - I'm keeping my expectations as low as my budget. To put this budget in perceptive; the most I have ever spent on a comic was $2000, and I have done this three times after much saving/haggling ($2000 for Adventure comics #48 first Hourman after having sold a BIG grail to fund the purchase, then $2000 for New York World's Fair 1939 first Sandman, and then I did a $2000 trade for an incomplete Wonder Woman #1). I'm not a high roller like many others on the boards (but am aware I'm very fortunate to still be in a position to spend such money on comics), so when I come into any big grails it is often from either building up a book like this from scratch, or wheeling and dealing other books I have (most that I got lucky in buying years before they spiked. A large portion of my comic-play money in the last two years came from me selling my first print TMNT #1 when things started to get crazy - part of the money from this bought the first Hourman I mentioned above). So this is now TECHNICALLY the most expensive comic I have ever 'bought'.

As for turn around, Jerry won't be able to start on leaf casting until the fall - so I'll be talking with him in September about when I can send him the pages (once they are done on my end, which shouldn't take too long for me - only another 3-4 nights at most of casual work). This started when I bought the incomplete interior at the beginning of the year (it was already graded as a Restored NG) as didn't consider doing all this work until I ended up finding a local selling who had the front cover for sale. At that point it just seemed like a no-brained to go all out and actually try to make it a complete book (it honestly took little time to source the other parts. I wish I could have found an unrestored page 1, but the options were very limited and since I was already going to do a full leaf casting I bit the bullet and figured I could work with it)
Edited by Sauce Dog

URGENT:

Can somebody measure the width of the panels on a REAL X-Men #1 first page for me. The page I bought was restored, and when I went to remove all the restoration (pieces added to all sides) something wasn't sitting right with me. I compared the width to the rest of the interior and the panel art width is smaller. I fear I was sold a hacked up Marvel Tales #2 reprint page (with the reprint notice sliced off exactly where it would have began from the bottom and pieces added to make it look legit - it was in a VOLDY slab). I'm pissed off, to say the least (thankfully it was purchased off eBay only a few weeks ago, so I've instigated a refund request)

20230827_154013.thumb.jpg.23dbd3293e5dbf22ff15dfb477876b31.jpg

20230827_154034.thumb.jpg.d75f67beae9c1768c96279087fe00c7f.jpg

Edited by Sauce Dog

Sigh. This is totally 100% a reprint from Marvel Tales #2. The eBay seller is even selling other loose 'heavily trimmed' original Avengers #1 pages...which were also from that very same reprint book. It would be a crazy coincidence that the eBay seller wasn't the one who had this slabbed and is scamming :(

Anybody have a first page they want to sell me (or a first wrap) :(

Edited by Sauce Dog