• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

On 9/23/2022 at 8:38 PM, Pantodude said:

I'm surprised your post hasn't been answered yet!   I just happened to notice.  Anyway, here's a link to a YT video with page-by-page walkthru.  Should help.

Thanks!

youtbe ...I forgot there is everything on it .

I found  out it's missing the page 12 and looks like it's a classic for many comics with a missing page .

On 9/24/2022 at 12:05 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Sold 872 000$ (a new record price for the grade):

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/964166

image.thumb.png.6504107f329a82e99704f1e7794a449a.png

Thats 9.0 AF15 money.   So it's a high price, but a bargain.  Once the X-men hit the MCU (and done well) prices will go exponential.

Edited by Microchip

On 9/24/2022 at 8:43 PM, Microchip said:

Thats 9.0 AF15 money.   So it's a high price, but a bargain.  Once the X-men hit the MCU (and done well) prices will go exponential.

I think that 8.5 by comparison that sold recently (huge discount to 2021) was a better bargain....

Can we talk about comicconnect's absurd commissions at 20%?  This is ridiculous, over 200k+ for listing a comic, what buyer agrees to these terms?  It should be tiered and capped out at that price point like what Mycomicshop does.  Ludicrous!

On 9/26/2022 at 9:15 AM, spreads said:

I think that 8.5 by comparison that sold recently (huge discount to 2021) was a better bargain....

Can we talk about comicconnect's absurd commissions at 20%?  This is ridiculous, over 200k+ for listing a comic, what buyer agrees to these terms?  It should be tiered and capped out at that price point like what Mycomicshop does.  Ludicrous!

I am not defending it, but technically that's not a commission, it's a buyer's premium.

With Heritage, there is always a 20% BP on every item.  That's in addition to the commission.  So if there's a commission of 10%, and a book sells for $1,000, the house takes 10% ($100) from the seller's proceeds and the house also gets another 20% ($200) from the buyer.  In effect, the house gets 25% ($300) of the total paid by the buyer ($1,200).

With ComicConnect, they traditionally never had a buyer's premium (and always marketed to consignors on this basis, as the BP definitely takes money out of the consignor's pocket).  In recent years they have put some of their books up with a BP of 15% or even 20%.

Without knowing for sure, I suspect that this is what's happening on these books.  They get a very valuable collection from a big consignor who wants to negotiate the commission, and the house says OK, we'll give you a better deal there but we'll slap a buyer's premium on top to make this work for us.  Like I said, I don't know that this is what's going on, but it's easy to guess since it's the same basic principle auction houses use where they require buyers to pay by check or bear the cost of their credit card fees.  Whether it's the buyer or the seller, they are doing whatever they can to offload their costs of doing business onto other people.

On 9/24/2022 at 6:43 PM, Microchip said:

How does the book get 9.6 with the start of the tanning/discoloration on the front cover? I understand it is a common issue with X-Men 1 and GSX 1, but it still looks bad (and how much work was done to it looking at how much of the interior front page ad is showing through). If I were willing to pay that much for a copy I would want it to be a nice bright white cover at 9.6.

On 9/26/2022 at 9:15 AM, spreads said:

at the end of the day, the buyer is aware of this "Buyers Premium" and should bid with that in mind. You bid what you are willing to pay, or what you think the value of the book is, keeping in mind this extra cost you will be charged at checkout. Same goes for paying shipping, taxes, duties, etc.

On 9/27/2022 at 3:41 AM, kimik said:

How does the book get 9.6 with the start of the tanning/discoloration on the front cover? I understand it is a common issue with X-Men 1 and GSX 1, but it still looks bad (and how much work was done to it looking at how much of the interior front page ad is showing through). If I were willing to pay that much for a copy I would want it to be a nice bright white cover at 9.6.

Ask Roy, he subbed the book way back when.

The colour is off, but how much of that is down to the scanning?

On 9/26/2022 at 1:13 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I am not defending it, but technically that's not a commission, it's a buyer's premium.

With Heritage, there is always a 20% BP on every item.  That's in addition to the commission.  So if there's a commission of 10%, and a book sells for $1,000, the house takes 10% ($100) from the seller's proceeds and the house also gets another 20% ($200) from the buyer.  In effect, the house gets 25% ($300) of the total paid by the buyer ($1,200).

With ComicConnect, they traditionally never had a buyer's premium (and always marketed to consignors on this basis, as the BP definitely takes money out of the consignor's pocket).  In recent years they have put some of their books up with a BP of 15% or even 20%.

Without knowing for sure, I suspect that this is what's happening on these books.  They get a very valuable collection from a big consignor who wants to negotiate the commission, and the house says OK, we'll give you a better deal there but we'll slap a buyer's premium on top to make this work for us.  Like I said, I don't know that this is what's going on, but it's easy to guess since it's the same basic principle auction houses use where they require buyers to pay by check or bear the cost of their credit card fees.  Whether it's the buyer or the seller, they are doing whatever they can to offload their costs of doing business onto other people.

My understanding has always been that the buyers premium and consignment % are negotiable with HA.  When we see a big collection, I can't imagine they are taking 25% of the final price (with BP). 

I have never sold with HA or CC, so I can't speak to the experience, but my advice to all the "how do I sell my inherited comic collection" threads in the newbie forum, is always to shop around. If the collection is valuable enough, go to all three big auction houses and understand exactly how it works before consignment. 

On 9/27/2022 at 8:14 AM, KCOComics said:

My understanding has always been that the buyers premium and consignment % are negotiable with HA.  When we see a big collection, I can't imagine they are taking 25% of the final price (with BP). 

I have never sold with HA or CC, so I can't speak to the experience, but my advice to all the "how do I sell my inherited comic collection" threads in the newbie forum, is always to shop around. If the collection is valuable enough, go to all three big auction houses and understand exactly how it works before consignment. 

Maybe the consignment commission is negotiable, but the BP is always 20% -- it's locked in as a matter of policy.  Unless you're saying that in the background the seller might be getting some of the BP?

On 9/27/2022 at 10:29 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Maybe the consignment commission is negotiable, but the BP is always 20% -- it's locked in as a matter of policy.  Unless you're saying that in the background the seller might be getting some of the BP?

That's what I think is happening. I could be wrong. 

Most buyers will factor the BP into their final bid.  So the final price in my mind is the bid+BP. And I can't imagine giving the HA 10% commission +20% BP when CL and others are charging 10% and you can negotiate down from there. 

Heritage would have to out perform competitors by a healthy margin to make that worth while on big ticket books. 

On 9/27/2022 at 7:58 AM, KCOComics said:

Most buyers will factor the BP into their final bid.  So the final price in my mind is the bid+BP. And I can't imagine giving the HA 10% commission +20% BP when CL and others are charging 10% and you can negotiate down from there. 

Heritage would have to out perform competitors by a healthy margin to make that worth while on big ticket books. 

And GPA includes BP in the final price.  

On 9/26/2022 at 8:15 AM, spreads said:

So let me get this straight, the X-Men 1 9.6 sold for $872k + 20% buyers premium = $1,046,400 + Tax right?  

On 9/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

No all-in is 872k that includes the premium.

Same exact book sold in June 2021 for $807K. So with fees, would be interesting what net was to seller vs their cost. 

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/919592?tzf=1#description

Given the high grade, would not interpret this headline price increase as being applicable to the more "normal" grade levels. 

On 9/27/2022 at 10:58 AM, KCOComics said:

I actually do think Heritage generally realizes higher prices (when you include BP) ... though admittedly, on the biggest books all three major auction houses do a lot of promotion and may achieve similar results.  It would be interesting to look at that data.

Regardless, the pitch to sellers from the other two has always been, more or less, focus on your bottom line rather than the actual auction result. 

On 9/26/2022 at 2:17 PM, kobra65 said:

at the end of the day, the buyer is aware of this "Buyers Premium" and should bid with that in mind. You bid what you are willing to pay, or what you think the value of the book is, keeping in mind this extra cost you will be charged at checkout. Same goes for paying shipping, taxes, duties, etc.

I get all that, but it's still absurd....auction houses are doing very, very little.  I would say there's less complexity here than selling any other comparable asset: real estate, issuing a prospectus for a fund, etc.  These items should be commissioned in the 3-5% range, and if there are credit card fees associated with it then charge an extra 1-2%.  

On 9/28/2022 at 8:35 AM, spreads said:

I get all that, but it's still absurd....auction houses are doing very, very little.  I would say there's less complexity here than selling any other comparable asset: real estate, issuing a prospectus for a fund, etc.  These items should be commissioned in the 3-5% range, and if there are credit card fees associated with it then charge an extra 1-2%.  

try selling in the pre-auction, pre-CGC days and dealing with the dealers that were basing everything on a percentage of guide ......................:pullhair:

Auction houses were a God-send for my sales

On 9/27/2022 at 10:29 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I can confidently say that this is absolutely true with big enough consignments (thumbsu

On 9/13/2022 at 4:08 PM, WolverineX said:
On 9/9/2022 at 9:20 PM, TeddieMercede said:

XM 1 8.5 Sept 2021 $158K

XM 1 8.5 Sept 2022 $78K.

Someone made out like a bandit.  Could rebuy the book now..

Totally agree with you and that would most definitely and that would clearly be the seller of the XM1 copy for $158K back in September of 2021.  (::flipbait: