• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2023 at 5:00 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Sigh. This is totally 100% a reprint from Marvel Tales #2. The eBay seller is even selling other loose 'heavily trimmed' original Avengers #1 pages...which were also from that very same reprint book. It would be a crazy coincidence that the eBay seller wasn't the one who had this slabbed and is scamming :(

Anybody have a first page they want to sell me (or a first wrap) :(

I would be calling him out, and or reporting it to ebay.

On 8/27/2023 at 6:37 PM, kobra65 said:

I would be calling him out, and or reporting it to ebay.

I am, and have instigated a return request but honestly I don't think that will go my way. I already have cracked the slab AND performed restoration removal on the page :( (I had no reason to suspect it before hand since it was authenticated...I only became suspicious after the restoration was removed and I noticed all the edge cuts were very clean and precise, not even like scissors but scalpel fresh to carefully cut out a specific part and leave the rest). I'm going to have to maybe go through my credit card to reverse the charges as I don't think eBay is going to help me here.

When I contacted the seller the first thing they said, and only thing, was "did you crack it out of the slab?". Not "I didn't know! sorry!" or anything else like that. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285044643272?fbclid=IwAR3aw3dYLaih6-DQJM_J2qf6UVquD9yxlwEeYeJiUAdAMGY40KNvS6q4gkg

On 8/27/2023 at 8:03 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I am, and have instigated a return request but honestly I don't think that will go my way. I already have cracked the slab AND performed restoration removal on the page :( (I had no reason to suspect it before hand since it was authenticated...I only became suspicious after the restoration was removed and I noticed all the edge cuts were very clean and precise, not even like scissors but scalpel fresh to carefully cut out a specific part and leave the rest). I'm going to have to maybe go through my credit card to reverse the charges as I don't think eBay is going to help me here.

When I contacted the seller the first thing they said, and only thing, was "did you crack it out of the slab?". Not "I didn't know! sorry!" or anything else like that. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285044643272?fbclid=IwAR3aw3dYLaih6-DQJM_J2qf6UVquD9yxlwEeYeJiUAdAMGY40KNvS6q4gkg

I would also call out PGX, since they graded this page.

edit update: ebay seems like they are going to give me a refund, regardless of the item being opened and me removing the restoration already. crossing my fingers this is true when it is supposed to resolve by September 12th.

edit edit: Refund approved. Even though it came in a certified slab which I cracked it out of AND 'damaged' it by removing all the restoration ebay still sided with me thanks to the evidence I provided (combined with the sellers complete unwillingness to engage the process or communicate)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 8/17/2023 at 7:02 PM, kobra65 said:

Sold at Heritage just over a year ago for $204k. Not sure if it is the right time to sell this book?

You were absolutely right Kobra65.  Definitely not the right time to sell the book.  Hammer closed on the auction at $168,600.  Far down from $204k.  And even further down from when a 9.2 sold for $250k 9/4/21.  

On 8/16/2023 at 10:12 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

Goldin Auction 9.2 27 days to go. Didn't we see this same book a while ago with the white stains in the lower right corner? 

X-Men #1 (1963 Marvel) – CGC 9.2 – Origin and 1st Appearance of the X-Men (Professor X, Cyclops, Iceman, Angel, Beast, Marvel Girl) and Magneto on Goldin Auctions

I think that when they look back in a 10 years, someone got a steal at $168k.  Good looking book.  

On 9/14/2023 at 10:17 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

You were absolutely right Kobra65.  Definitely not the right time to sell the book.  Hammer closed on the auction at $168,600.  Far down from $204k.  And even further down from when a 9.2 sold for $250k 9/4/21.  

I think that when they look back in a 10 years, someone got a steal at $168k.  Good looking book.  

good time to pick up BIG books if you have the disposable $$$$$$

On 9/14/2023 at 7:17 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

I checked the CGC certification # on that Goldin 9.2 book and it is not showing up. I emailed Goldin about it and they told me it was reordered with a new cert # which they provided me. When I checked it out, it doesn't show the grade nor any notes associated with the book. Very weird...

On 9/14/2023 at 12:22 PM, kobra65 said:

good time to pick up BIG books if you have the disposable $$$$$$

Hard to say...high interest rates, it's a tough argument to make when you can park your money into something with a high yield of 8-10%.....either way, my personal collection I don't really care about the value that much (other than for insurance purposes) since I have no intention of selling.  I'm just happy that one spamming clown is no longer here!

On 9/23/2023 at 10:26 AM, spreads said:

Hard to say...high interest rates, it's a tough argument to make when you can park your money into something with a high yield of 8-10%.....either way, my personal collection I don't really care about the value that much (other than for insurance purposes) since I have no intention of selling.  I'm just happy that one spamming clown is no longer here!

If you say his name 3 times, he will return.

On 9/14/2023 at 4:11 PM, Dark Knight said:

I checked the CGC certification # on that Goldin 9.2 book and it is not showing up. I emailed Goldin about it and they told me it was reordered with a new cert # which they provided me. When I checked it out, it doesn't show the grade nor any notes associated with the book. Very weird...

What makes it even weirder is that the original certification 270blah is up on CGC, so I don't know what Goldin could have been referring to about a new cert#, or why you couldn't pull it up before.     Here's the original cert.   https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/2707935001/   

On 8/27/2023 at 5:03 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I'm really sorry to hear about this!  PGX continues their fraudulent and/or incompetent practices which have been going on since their inception.  And this could be the new company scam, slowly bringing forth to market more reprint pages graded as original pages.  May be a good idea to alert the collecting community about this.  I'm thinking of starting a topic in "Comics General" to get the word out...

On 9/24/2023 at 2:06 PM, mosconi said:

I'm really sorry to hear about this!  PGX continues their fraudulent and/or incompetent practices which have been going on since their inception.  And this could be the new company scam, slowly bringing forth to market more reprint pages graded as original pages.  May be a good idea to alert the collecting community about this.  I'm thinking of starting a topic in "Comics General" to get the word out...

I posted this on one of the main comic groups on Facebook so plenty of people saw it, but I don't think there is much new here that those on these boards are not aware of. Lots of scammers trying to grade reprint pages as legit, so if you are in the market for one better to make sure it is graded by CGC as any other option might have missed the obvious tells (I was lucky enough to get a full refund by ebay for this though).

On 9/23/2023 at 3:41 PM, Pantodude said:
On 9/14/2023 at 1:11 PM, Dark Knight said:

What makes it even weirder is that the original certification 270blah is up on CGC, so I don't know what Goldin could have been referring to about a new cert#, or why you couldn't pull it up before.     Here's the original cert.   https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/2707935001/   

Looks like CGC corrected that mistake because when I checked before, it had no grade assigned nor grader's notes.  Very strange why Goldin said that the book was re-holdered with a new certification number (4236253005), which was provided to me in an email.  

On 9/23/2023 at 9:26 AM, spreads said:

Were are you getting something with a high yield of 8-10%?  I would like to know.  

On 9/26/2023 at 8:53 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

Were are you getting something with a high yield of 8-10%?  I would like to know.  

There are many.....there's also some much higher beat up stocks with some downside risk, but paying out 20-30%.  But if you really want to minimize risk, you can go Schedule 1 Canadian bank stocks and write covered calls for additional income.  Again - there are many securities and trades, but it requires some due diligence and research and trade management (in some cases).