• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2023 at 8:56 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

New on CL X-Men 1 CGC 9.2 white pages (it is already a rare book in 9.2 and that much rarer with white pages) looks like a great looking book:

https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dx-men%2B1%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1667956

Wish I had upgraded my 6.0 years ago to at least a 8.0 but it is what it is at least I am a member of my favorite superhero teams club!!!

Will be the last book I let go of from the SA not that I have much left from that era.

Wow. Fantastic looking 9.2!!

On 5/10/2023 at 12:39 PM, ft88 said:

Pretty cool this one has a production flaw with two sets of staples.  The interior has a remnant of a cover still attached.  Staples look vintage and original to production.  Likely this was produced with a cover that was misprinted, tore off, and then they added another one.  Cover only has one set of staples.  I've seen this type of thing before, but not with the remnants of a cover on the interior. 

img892.jpg.8d58ee8b655523073d58f34650709dfc.jpgimg893.jpg.616a4b4a4046ef13c4b1da321b6bb0f0.jpg
IMG_8311.thumb.jpeg.755214689b12a31d46705cae7deacd40.jpegIMG_8312.thumb.jpeg.45f6f287f1a124f05fcb2b88a6142b97.jpegIMG_8313.thumb.jpeg.a07a9abce37fb866c533832aa384a141.jpegIMG_8314.thumb.jpeg.cf92d9459079238b8247c44c690986be.jpeg

No doubt it's all original and not married.  I had a TTA 27 like this but was scared to send it in for grading cuz I thought CGC would give it a Green Label.  What do you think?  Will they recognize this for what it is.... a production flaw?

On 5/11/2023 at 7:43 PM, gadzukes said:

No doubt it's all original and not married.  I had a TTA 27 like this but was scared to send it in for grading cuz I thought CGC would give it a Green Label.  What do you think?  Will they recognize this for what it is.... a production flaw?

I sent in an Amazing Spider-Man #16 that was similar to this and it got a blue label.

On 2/9/2021 at 9:45 AM, Dark Knight said:

Yeah I remember seeing something similar several years ago where the same card just all of a sudden jumped up in value and then in less than a year dropped back down to earth. Some say it was due to some "buyer's group" that artificially were pumping up the price. So yeah I know that a bottom is coming. What goes up, must come down with practically every single investment type I've seen.

I was looking at buying back in on a few items we were discussing and you called the fall back to earth.

On 7/5/2023 at 5:51 PM, PKJ said:

I was looking at buying back in on a few items we were discussing and you called the fall back to earth.

I guess my crystal ball worked that time as projected :). I was trying to warn everyone on here about what I'm predicting.  Hopefully most people listened 

On 7/6/2023 at 3:25 PM, Dark Knight said:

I guess my crystal ball worked that time as projected :). I was trying to warn everyone on here about what I'm predicting.  Hopefully most people listened 

I think those of us who track the price of this book through GPA and many of the other books that shot up during COVID saw this wasn’t going to last. Still a great book. 

Hopefully those that bought at the inflated prices have time to wait for the price to recover over the long term.

I also mentioned that I had a hunch that when the values of silver age, bronze, copper, etc would start declining during the  bubble burst,  golden age books would climb in value. So far it's going as predicted.

I'm thinking now that silver and bronze have platued and leveled off. I don't see a huge drastic dip in values like the last year or so. I believe slowly silver will start climbing up gradually, bronze will maybe stay at around these same values and golden age will see a step down from its strong performance from the huge rise beginning with the Promise collection end of 2021.

I mentioned several times these prices were due to correct hard....it's not rocket science with the inverse relationship of interest rates, that pretty much all assets classes and rare collectibles especially would be hit hard.....it was really only that one guy pumping the prices of books hard that refused to listen.

On 7/6/2023 at 6:09 PM, Dark Knight said:

I also mentioned that I had a hunch that when the values of silver age, bronze, copper, etc would start declining during the  bubble burst,  golden age books would climb in value. So far it's going as predicted.

I'm thinking now that silver and bronze have platued and leveled off. I don't see a huge drastic dip in values like the last year or so. I believe slowly silver will start climbing up gradually, bronze will maybe stay at around these same values and golden age will see a step down from its strong performance from the huge rise beginning with the Promise collection end of 2021.

There have been moderns books that have stayed strong....I look at something like Bone 1.  A very strong cult-followed book, with an ultra low print run, that has steadily increased in value over the years stay relatively strong.  The insanely rare books too - where supply is so low, you take whatever you can get - has held up for the most part as well.

Edited by spreads

On 7/7/2023 at 8:27 AM, spreads said:

I mentioned several times these prices were due to correct hard....it's not rocket science with the inverse relationship of interest rates, that pretty much all assets classes and rare collectibles especially would be hit hard.....it was really only that one guy pumping the prices of books hard that refused to listen.

He did not refuse, he kept doing it until he sold his copies. We can't say his name any longer since he was removed from the Matrix. On a side note I did buy a 8.5 Jordan RC for pre covid levels.

On 7/7/2023 at 6:29 AM, spreads said:

There have been moderns books that have stayed strong....I look at something like Bone 1.  A very strong cult-followed book, with an ultra low print run, that has steadily increased in value over the years stay relatively strong.  The insanely rare books too - where supply is so low, you take whatever you can get - has held up for the most part as well.

Guess it depends on your definition of strong but Bone 1 in a 9.6 sold for 9k June of ‘22 and sold for under 6k in June of 23. Not a ton of sales on this book, but GPA shows dips in pretty much all of the grades that have recent sales.

IMG_1576.jpeg

On 7/7/2023 at 2:57 PM, wiparker824 said:

Guess it depends on your definition of strong but Bone 1 in a 9.6 sold for 9k June of ‘22 and sold for under 6k in June of 23. Not a ton of sales on this book, but GPA shows dips in pretty much all of the grades that have recent sales.

IMG_1576.jpeg

Sales about double prices from 2020 seems like it held up pretty good to me and the high of this year is not far off of 2021.  There are tons of SA keys, and definitely Bronze and Moderns that are far below 2020 prices....

On 7/7/2023 at 12:40 PM, spreads said:

Sales about double prices from 2020 seems like it held up pretty good to me and the high of this year is not far off of 2021.  There are tons of SA keys, and definitely Bronze and Moderns that are far below 2020 prices....

Yes if you meant it is up from pre-covid then yeah. But the book is still free-falling from its covid peak, with really nothing to indicate we are at the bottom. In that sense it’s not much different than anything else IMO.