• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BRITTLE and SLIGHTLY BRITTLE pages - what's your opinion?

96 posts in this topic

I would rather use the discount for brittle and apply it to a more supple book that is restored.

Bruce

totally agree. Restoration (apart from trimming) I think is totally fine, assuming it's factored into the price. Or if it's just a low grade copy anyway.

I would rather use the discount for brittle and apply it to a more supple book that is restored.

Bruce

totally agree. Restoration (apart from trimming) I think is totally fine, assuming it's factored into the price. Or if it's just a low grade copy anyway.

agreed; resto preferable to brittle or s. brittle if the alternative is available.

MPFW #1 anybody? There's about 10 copies, and all except for the Pay copy were brittle.

I'd personally rather own a copy with brittle pages (or a restored one where the pages were conserved) than never own a copy of one of the coolest books of all time.

I'm with Roy on this one 100%!

I'd rather have this copy than never have one at all!

MPFW-1.jpg

a beautiful, incredibly desirable copy, pq notwithstanding. i'm with you and roy, counselor.

(thumbs u

I've never seen a MPFW out of a slab. What exactly is brittle about these copies anyway? (shrug)

MPFW #1 anybody? There's about 10 copies, and all except for the Pay copy were brittle.

I'd personally rather own a copy with brittle pages (or a restored one where the pages were conserved) than never own a copy of one of the coolest books of all time.

I'm with Roy on this one 100%!

I'd rather have this copy than never have one at all!

MPFW-1.jpg

a beautiful, incredibly desirable copy, pq notwithstanding. i'm with you and roy, counselor.

(thumbs u

I've never seen a MPFW out of a slab. What exactly is brittle about these copies anyway? (shrug)

I want an MPFW so bad.......so hard to find.

And I am probably stating the obvious but where the brittle is concerned since these were give aways I think the paper was cheap quality and it just can't hold up as other GA books.

The Lloyd Jacquet books were not stored under the greatest conditions. I don't know for certain but it would seem that these books were stored with the spines exposed as they seem to have some brittleness in that area. My copy had all the of the wraps reinforced at the spine. Other than that no other structural work done. The book was slabbed with an off white page designation.

Hi everyone,

I am curious as to how people's thoughts on this topic have evolved...if at all. For example, would you rather have a 1.5 with slightly brittle pages vs a 1.5 with better page quality, but a fair amount of tape?

Tape, especially if of a certain kind (they are definitely not all the same) does not bother me much. I have bought various GA books with tape and in some cases it just falls off, since the glue has dried, with little to no damage to the book.

On the contrary, I am pretty terrified by brittleness, and I’d love to understand better about the process which causes it. It seems to me the paper is "going to die".

I have a pair of books, however, where just the first two or three pages are getting brittle, while internal PQ is generally good and supple too. How’s that possible?

my thoughts on the subject have evolved...with more education and understanding, I no long completely shun books with SB or B pages... I have learned that an other wise ow paged book might have a brittle corner (maybe exposed to sun under a stack of books, or whatever)... cgc designates that book as "brittle" when indeed, it might be 98% ow, and only have one brittle corner that likely won't ever get worse...

same with slightly brittle...could be one wrap that is split, and cgc will designate slightly brittle...

so, I really need to "know" the book (and seeing it raw is the best way)

one of my biggest regrets was not going after that Action 1 cgc 1.8 with brittle pages a few years ago... yes, the designation was "brittle", but was the entire page brittle, or just the extremeties... lots to consider

I sold an Archie #2 with brittle pages to a board member and below is the pm that he sent me after the book was received.

Hi Isaac,

I got the book today, thanks.

I cracked open the slab and thought that brittle pieces were just going to start pouring out of the inside, but....

CGC did a horrible disservice to the original submitter of this book. The label said "pieces" reattached to the interior with glue which just sounds horrible, but there is NO GLUE whatsoever on this comic.

The label said "Brittle pages" which is such a kiss of death, BUT the very edge of the spine has some brittleness causing some splitting on some of the interior pages, but otherwise they are 97% supple pages. I'd say about half of the wraps have a split of 4" up from the bottom. And it's a clean split, not a jagged brittle split. The centerfold is perfect with no brittleness or spine split at all. I would say the interior pages are mostly Off White. I really expected horrible interior pages so I am pleasantly surprised.

I said it before and I will say it again, I had a Detective 33 I had graded. I expected a 4.0 with slightly brittle pages (they were flaking at the edge) book came back 5.5, lt hand/off whites pages. I get nervous even with cream to off white pages.

Around 1987, when I would have been about 13, I bought a copy of Magic Comics with Dagwood on the cover. It looked beautiful in the polybag. When I took it out to read it, the pages were brittle, cracking and crumbling on the edges as I turned the pages. I was disgusted. I would rather have no copy of a book than have a copy with even slightly brittle pages. With slabbed books, I try to stick to WHITE or OFF-WHITE-TO-WHITE. I'll do OFF-WHITE if a book if scarce, or if it has an old-style label (because I think the standards used to be tighter), but I've never purchased a CREAM-TO-OFF-WHITE slabbed book, nor would I.