• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Auction Sales and Relistings. Legit?

901 posts in this topic

(5) Schmell encourages consignors to get their 'friends' to shill bid their consigned books up

Not saying that Doug doesn't do this, but I'm curious how exactly do people make this work? Even if I was so inclined, I'd be afraid to ask my friends to shill bid my books up. What if they won, and ended up with a book that they didn't want except for my request?

Am I on the hook to buy it back from them (in which case I'm back where I started, less the commission, shipping fees to Doug, shipping fees from Doug to my friend, and possibly shipping fees from my friend to me, which seems like a real lose-lose proposition)?

If I refuse to reimburse my friend, then most likely I've lost a friend. Plus I have a risk that an angry person will go and spill the beans on me.

(5) Schmell encourages consignors to get their 'friends' to shill bid their consigned books up

Not saying that Doug doesn't do this, but I'm curious how exactly do people make this work? Even if I was so inclined, I'd be afraid to ask my friends to shill bid my books up. What if they won, and ended up with a book that they didn't want except for my request?

Am I on the hook to buy it back from them (in which case I'm back where I started, less the commission, shipping fees to Doug, shipping fees from Doug to my friend, and possibly shipping fees from my friend to me, which seems like a real lose-lose proposition)?

If I refuse to reimburse my friend, then most likely I've lost a friend. Plus I have a risk that an angry person will go and spill the beans on me.

Those are exactly the same problems you have with shill bidding on eBay.

Which in no way stops it happening regularly.

eBay's a bit different, since you're selling directly and thus if your friend wins, you never ship it to him and he never has to pay you. All you're out is eBay's fees. Not insignificant, but not as bad as if you were trying to shill while selling on Heritage with their massive fees.

Honestly, I'd really like an explanation of how people make shilling work economically when using an auction house, because the downsides seem to be too much of a deterrent.

eBay's a bit different, since you're selling directly and thus if your friend wins, you never ship it to him and he never has to pay you. All you're out is eBay's fees. Not insignificant, but not as bad as if you were trying to shill while selling on Heritage with their massive fees.

Honestly, I'd really like an explanation of how people make shilling work economically when using an auction house, because the downsides seem to be too much of a deterrent.

Well, Schmell himself has told us that books get immediately 'relisted' on Pedigree. He's given his reasons why, but there could be other reasons, yes?

And it's not a massive stretch to think that, when the shill unfortunately wins the auction, there's an agreement in place that no sale actually takes place and the book goes back on the site.

If Schmell is complicit in encouraging shilling, why no go the whole hog and make it easy to do?

I've only sold 4 books via Pedigree, but they were big ticket items for me, and at no time was shilling encouraged or even discussed. (shrug)

That's fine, Bob.

But I have the word of a long-time boarder who has never been one of the 'conspiracy nuts'...and that's more than good enough for me. (thumbs u

I've only sold 4 books via Pedigree, but they were big ticket items for me, and at no time was shilling encouraged or even discussed. (shrug)

I have also sold many comics via Pedigree and Doug has alway's treated me first class. And at no point was shilling etc. ever mentioned or eluded to. I treat people how they treat me and Mr. Schmell has treated me well.

I have also sold many comics via Pedigree and Doug has alway's treated me first class. And at no point was shilling etc. ever mentioned or eluded to. I treat people how they treat me and Mr. Schmell has treated me well.

I'm glad to hear that you've experienced no problems. (thumbs u

However, I tend to base how I deal with people on how they conduct themselves with everybody and not just myself. No 'pull up the ladder, Sam, I'm in' around these parts. (thumbs u

So Nick... What exactly is the problem? I mean maybe your moral compass is wound to tight...

lol! One of the dumbest and most revealing things Matt Nelson ever wrote.

Yeah - but what's he ever done for the hobby?

What stops you from just shilling your own auctions from a fake account, and if you win some, simply failing to pay?

I think it works if you have a reserve and then you have a friend shill it up to just under the reserve.

It would also work best if the book is shilled, with Doug's approval, and if it doesnt reach a level that the seller wants the book is just moved over to the regular listing side of Pedigree and sold through there.

Doug looses nothing as the book didnt actually sell and then makes more later when the book sells at the inflated price

Well, Schmell himself has told us that books get immediately 'relisted' on Pedigree. He's given his reasons why, but there could be other reasons, yes?

And it's not a massive stretch to think that, when the shill unfortunately wins the auction, there's an agreement in place that no sale actually takes place and the book goes back on the site.

If Schmell is complicit in encouraging shilling, why no go the whole hog and make it easy to do?

Yes, if the auction house is complicit, that would change things somewhat. Although I'm sure he would want his fees for the initial sale, legit buyer or not.

What stops you from just shilling your own auctions from a fake account, and if you win some, simply failing to pay?

That works too!

UPDATE:

I finally 'got through' to Pedigree, and they have removed (as of this writing) all but three of the books I've been trying to get them to take down. Waiting to see if the other three also get removed. Finally!

UPDATE:

I finally 'got through' to Pedigree, and they have removed (as of this writing) all but three of the books I've been trying to get them to take down. Waiting to see if the other three also get removed. Finally!

By phone?

No. My original deal with Doug (face-to-face) was that he would take care of everything for me, so I was never signed up at his website. I joined it today, and hit the "Buy It Now"'s on all the books of mine he still had listed. I was never contacted in regards to my bids. The books just 'disappeared' from his listings.

Go figure. :screwy:

Still three up that had full bids before I hit the BIN on the others. Asleep at the wheel.......

Honestly pick up the bloody phone already. The amount of time and energy you spend complaining on these boards about it is ridiculous when you could get this resolved with a 30 second phone conversation.

Still three up that had full bids before I hit the BIN on the others. Asleep at the wheel.......

Honestly pick up the bloody phone already. The amount of time and energy you spend complaining on these boards about it is ridiculous when you could get this resolved with a 30 second phone conversation.

I'm on a budget, and can't make Long Distance calls on my phone due to the service plan I have.

Are you this rude all the time, or just one week out of the month? :blahblah: