• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Auction Sales and Relistings. Legit?

901 posts in this topic

Guess what, genius, I've not only sent him emails, I have directly tried to contact him through his website, AND I've made several posts here on his threads that you would think even the dumbest would have noticed.

:idea: Now I get it! You apparently live in a part of the US that doesn't have telephones. Why didn't you say so in the first place?

I personally can't stand this attacking of someone's character because they are an attorney or if they have some issues in their past (unrelated to comics).

Didn't he use the money he bilked from everbody's grandma to buy comics? Sounds comic related to me (shrug)

I don't know the circumstances and it seems you don't either as you are asking. I base my opinions on facts.

:gossip: It was a rhetorical question, as you may have guessed by now. I followed that story from Day 1.

Actually, what our friend is going to achieve is have this thread either locked or, worse still, deleted.

This information is vital to the community, certainly if you have any interest in knowing who to trust and who not to trust.

And if it disappears, the only one who will gain...actually, he'll be laughing his off...is Doug Schmell. doh!

Perhaps someone with more skill than I, such as Joseph or Brian (if he's lurking) and also someone who hasn't been up since 4:30 a.m. like I, can save it now before it's gone?

Not to take sides, but while your criticisms of Doug for not taking your books down are completely valid, I don't know how you can blame him for your "loss" for the slabbing costs or driving down to CGC to see if your collection might be pedigree worthy. Even if he's the one who recommended that you slab your books, so what? Just about any consignment site would have urged you to slab the books, because it makes it them much more liquid. No one put a gun to your head to slab them.

It's like this: When the 30 books from the collection first appeared on Pedigree, several sold right away. After a month, Doug & I discussed it, and decided to lower the prices on the remaining 17 books. After another 2 months, I just asked him to send the rest back, and we could settle the slabbing fees and commission out of the ones that were already sold, so we could be square with each other financially.

He sent me back the books, and we left the remaining 17 books listed on his site. After about another month, several more received bids. I was never contacted by Doug in regards to these bids, so I decided to contact him. I tried to in several ways, and being that we had never had any problems communicating via e-mail in the past, it seemed to me that he way busy with more expensive books, and was making it appear that he couldn't be bothered with my 'lower priority' books anymore. So I sent him various other messages, to take the books down, one every few days, with never a response. I don't deal this way, and decided to sell the rest myself, without Doug's 'help'. I had no interest in wasting my time calling him, because I felt he was ignoring my messages anyway.

He has responded on threads he has posted here in his sales threads, answering questions from others, right under one of my posts asking him to contact me about the Shiflett books. How plain is that?

I realize that I really hadn't explained it in this way earlier, and understand how some might have seen that it didn't seem so bad. Now you realize that Doug failed me by not providing services as I thought he would, to the point of frustration for me not to wish to have any further business dealings with him.

I'm getting old, and in my old age I have developed a 0% tolerance for what I deem as BS. I apologize for being short, somewhat snotty, or snarky. Sometimes the beast in me...., well, ...shucks guys, I'm blushing.... :blush:

The sum of the point is that for me, Pedigree leaves much to be desired in the way of customer support. Period. 'Nuff said. (shrug)

I still can't believe you weren't furnished with a user name and password to manage your listings, accept bids, decline bids or counter bids.

Could be he figured that was Dougies job and would be notified of such. After all what do Doug collect his percentage for? (shrug)

I still can't believe you weren't furnished with a user name and password to manage your listings, accept bids, decline bids or counter bids.

Could be he figured that was Dougies job and would be notified of such. After all what do Doug collect his percentage for? (shrug)

Traffic.

Traffic.

Yes! On his way to the bank to cash checks!

The same thing ComicLink gets paid for... providing the selling venue and the market exposure. Plus, at that time I believe Doug was only charging 8% commission.

I never have understood the mentality behind singling out one specific consignment site over the others and raising hell. They are all branches of the same tree. Choosing to do business with any of them is an exercise in choosing the one personally believed to be the lesser evil.

The same thing ComicLink gets paid for... providing the selling venue and the market exposure. Plus, at that time I believe Doug was only charging 8% commission.

Does he still get the 8% on the books that are still listed on his site but were sold a year ago?

If he does, that's a sweet deal for him.

So if I understand you "providing the selling venue and the market exposure" is all that is required. No addition "customer support" should/would be included?

CL has there issues as well. Moot.

As for the 8% commission, set by Doug, is to be understood as you get what you pay for?

I never have understood the mentality behind singling out one specific consignment site over the others and raising hell. They are all branches of the same tree. Choosing to do business with any of them is an exercise in choosing the one personally believed to be the lesser evil.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Does he still get the 8% on the books that are still listed on his site but were sold a year ago?

I don't know. Email him and ask.

Not to take sides, but while your criticisms of Doug for not taking your books down are completely valid, I don't know how you can blame him for your "loss" for the slabbing costs or driving down to CGC to see if your collection might be pedigree worthy. Even if he's the one who recommended that you slab your books, so what? Just about any consignment site would have urged you to slab the books, because it makes it them much more liquid. No one put a gun to your head to slab them.

It's like this: When the 30 books from the collection first appeared on Pedigree, several sold right away. After a month, Doug & I discussed it, and decided to lower the prices on the remaining 17 books. After another 2 months, I just asked him to send the rest back, and we could settle the slabbing fees and commission out of the ones that were already sold, so we could be square with each other financially.

He sent me back the books, and we left the remaining 17 books listed on his site. After about another month, several more received bids. I was never contacted by Doug in regards to these bids, so I decided to contact him. I tried to in several ways, and being that we had never had any problems communicating via e-mail in the past, it seemed to me that he way busy with more expensive books, and was making it appear that he couldn't be bothered with my 'lower priority' books anymore. So I sent him various other messages, to take the books down, one every few days, with never a response. I don't deal this way, and decided to sell the rest myself, without Doug's 'help'. I had no interest in wasting my time calling him, because I felt he was ignoring my messages anyway.

He has responded on threads he has posted here in his sales threads, answering questions from others, right under one of my posts asking him to contact me about the Shiflett books. How plain is that?

I realize that I really hadn't explained it in this way earlier, and understand how some might have seen that it didn't seem so bad. Now you realize that Doug failed me by not providing services as I thought he would, to the point of frustration for me not to wish to have any further business dealings with him.

I'm getting old, and in my old age I have developed a 0% tolerance for what I deem as BS. I apologize for being short, somewhat snotty, or snarky. Sometimes the beast in me...., well, ...shucks guys, I'm blushing.... :blush:

The sum of the point is that for me, Pedigree leaves much to be desired in the way of customer support. Period. 'Nuff said. (shrug)

I don't think anyone disputes that part of the story or disagrees that you've received bad service in respect of him not taking the books down.

In terms of your complaints about his marketing and success (or lack thereof) in selling your books, I think Doug actually promotes listings on his consignment site more than most of the other consignment sites. Getting an article to appear in Scoop (even if you did all the writing) and Doug's post in the Sale Forum is actually more than Comiclink and others do for regular consignments. Most of the active promotion is focused on auctions. Perhaps you had higher expectations, but I think most people here would agree that the commissions charged by consignment sites are really a transaction fee and there is little expectation of any real value added service beyond that.

Again, I'm not saying that Doug didn't fail to execute the most basic services properly. The only reason for my post was I thought that blaming the $2K cost on Doug was a bit disingenuous.

I've emailed him a few times before and never get a response. Is there some particular type of stink-bait I should use to lure him from the nest?

So if I understand you "providing the selling venue and the market exposure" is all that is required. No addition "customer support" should/would be included?

CL has there issues as well. Moot.

As for the 8% commission, set by Doug, is to be understood as you get what you pay for?

their

Again, I'm not saying that Doug didn't fail to execute the most basic services properly. The only reason for my post was I thought that blaming the $2K cost on Doug was a bit disingenuous.

Agreed.

That's not exactly what I said. Plus, you're only getting VK's side of the story. The way he carries himself here my shed a little light on to the reason why Doug has been lax in responding to his emails. Not to trivialize the issue, but it seems he was paid by Doug, the books that weren't sold were returned and the only (Doug) issue he has is books that were returned to him are still listed for sale on Pedigree's web site.

I've emailed him a few times before and never get a response. Is there some particular type of stink-bait I should use to lure him from the nest?

Benjamins.