• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

What I find interesting is...if he had sold it at $80K (minus taxes) and put that money in the cd for 5% interest back then, he would have well over $100K on that book now. Hindsight is 20/20. Just my 2c
haven't been any 5% cd's since those 80K offers :baiting:

Now...no, but about that time,I had a CD earning that amount back then. (shrug)

Edited by showcase22gr1959

He bought it in May 2004. The auction on comiclink was in 2008 and I think the final bid was around 79-80K. What if he had took that bid and bought 6-8 mid grade SC22 and BB28 each he would now have 160K.

That is the challenge in investing. It is never about what you bought the security/comic for. It is only about whether the book you have now is a good investment going forward or is there a better choice. You can't chase return but you certainly don't want to hang on to a non-performer.

If I remember correctly he purchased the book then immediately listed it on his website for something like double that number. I'm sure that didn't help perception of the book, I don't know about you but I don't like feeling like a sucker. At a certain point it probably would have been prudent if he had just accepted what the value of the book was instead of stubbornly continuing to state that he doesn't need to sell when most everyone knew how badly he wanted to let the book go at that point.

Either way I'm sure it'll find a buyer soon enough and it is sad that the book has such a negative stigma attached to it. It is a great book and every bit a 9.2 of the most important DC Silver Age book.

Either way I'm sure it'll find a buyer soon enough and it is sad that the book has such a negative stigma attached to it. It is a great book and every bit a 9.2 of the most important DC Silver Age book.

Perception is a lot of it.

The fact that he was able to hold onto the book and not have to move it is going to work in his favor.

Do you think the book is worth over $80K now, since it hit that in auction 2 years ago...especially since all the other DC keys have taken off?

I remember seeing the SC4 9.2 auction on Ebay bidding up to the north of almost 80K with reserve not met over four years ago. I think selling earlier in the 80K at that time would prove a wise choice and there are better opportunities out there. Holding out for 100K make sense now. At least the SC4 9.2 is a better investment than investing in the housing sector at the peak. Now, the worst scenario is having either the 9.4 or 9.6 comes to the market with soft prices, then this will hurt the 9.2. A Flash movie might possibly change that though.

Geez guys, it's not like I NEED to sell it. Fortunately I am in a position where I can wait until I get the price I want. (thumbs u

And that might be when the Flash movie comes out in a couple of years. :gossip:

I seem to recall some people giving me when I sold an Action #1 CGC 4.0 for $195k as if I ripped the guy off. Anyone willing to buy the same book now at that price? Oh, I think so!!!! Not that a Showcase #4 is in the same club, mind you, but all I need is one person to make a sale and who knows where things will go from there. The book is yet again the highest graded copy available for sale (although not listed publicly anywhere at the moment), :banana:

I would buy it but it is a little out of my league. That's why I suggest you dump it. I would definitely pay the price you paid for it. It is still one of the top five silver age books. A movie and Geoff Johns is all that is needed to breathe a little life into the franchise. I say good luck with the book. As my mamma use to say when she was selling something. It neither eats nor drinks so I'm in no hurry.

I wonder what a decent 5.0 could be had for . . if one could find one that is :P

Yes, very few unrestored Show #4's on sale in Cgc 5.0 or 5.5 due to scarcity and too much of a bargain at Ostreet guide compared to monstrous retail price of AF #15. No reason to sell until the wished for Flash movie. :popcorn:

Might not make me happy, but it makes sense.

I like my 4.0 LT/OW just fine, although as PQ has become more critical,

I'm getting the wandering eyes :eyeroll:

Bob

With SC4 as old as it is, LT/OW is not too much of a deal. (shrug) At least you're a member. (thumbs u