• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

AF15 is the KING of the SA. Showcase 4 is on par with Hulk 1 right now...let those two battle it out. ;)

The operative words being right now. ;)

If they screw up the character too much, fans might defect from Spidey.

You mean Hulk right. ;) Your 6.0 is a pedigree...hard to beat that.

Thanks (thumbs u

No I meant Spidey. I think Hulk has more universal appeal (on film at least) than Spidey,

and (Hulk) could also surpass him if they mess with the character too much.

It felt like HULK almost smash Spidey a few months ago. :grin: Now Flash trying to run over Spidey. Hulk tried now Flash... :grin:

I see it going up and up, but it'll never overtake AF15

Never is an awfully long time ;)

:o

Holy cow, you read my mind lol

Haha you mean you read my post and wanted to be just as awesome.

Yeah, that's what I meant :insane:

Ok, that's enough AF #15 bashing by me, back to the topic of the thread - Showcase #4 worship (worship)

I could possibly see Showcase 4 overtaking AF 15 due to supply. There are just so many more copies of AF 15 than there are of Showcase 4 (about 84% less universal copies on the census). Here's the universal breakdown:

Showcase 4: 225 Universal

Hulk 1: 781

Amazing Fantasy 15: 1443

Now, I can't really see the Flash really overtaking Spider-Man in terms of popularity, especially with Disney becoming involved with the movie property. But there's not a lot of unrestored copies of Showcase 4 (per census) to go around.

Showcase #4 was a slow book until they decided to make a television show. FMV wise it didn't move for a decade. There are just not as many Flash fans as there are Spidey fans.

Showcase #4 was a slow book until they decided to make a television show. FMV wise it didn't move for a decade. There are just not as many Flash fans as there are Spidey fans.

+1

Both books are awesome but AF 15 will always be king.

-J.

Yet :whistle:

I've never thought of AF15 as "scarce" , but SC 4 is...I've also never thought of selling my SC4 (although it's low grade) I'd have a hard time finding a replacement...but I've thought MANY times of selling my AF15, lol.

I've never thought of AF15 as "scarce" , but SC 4 is...I've also never thought of selling my SC4 (although it's low grade) I'd have a hard time finding a replacement...but I've thought MANY times of selling my AF15, lol.

Likely because it has increased so much more dramatically in value. :baiting:

-J.

-J.

That's why I sold mine, to be honest. Hey I get it, I got a Spider-Man collection when I was a kid and couldn't put them down until t read the whole set. I love the character. I also love Flash, maybe a tad more. AF #15 is a mighty book indeed. But you never know what's going to happen in the future, with a new generation of fans.

-J.

That's why I sold mine, to be honest. Hey I get it, I got a Spider-Man collection when I was a kid and couldn't put them down until t read the whole set. I love the character. I also love Flash, maybe a tad more. AF #15 is a mighty book indeed. But you never know what's going to happen in the future, with a new generation of fans.

That's true. However the spider sells more than a million books a year, millions in merchandising, always has a new cartoon coming out, and is now a part of the MCU. Spider-Man is a cottage industry unto himself with countless spin off (and sadly duplicative) characters, classic villains, team ups, etc.

Meanwhile the flash is just about to complete the first season of a second TV show in 20 years. (Although I do like the show).

Talking about the "next generation of fans", I don't think the spider will be hurting very much for those at all, and will still have eight legs up on the flash. (thumbs u

-J.

I don't think ANYONE would have said 4 years ago that More Fun 73 would outsell All Star 8, yet here we are that the last MFC73 went for 75k last month in a 5.0 (a 3 went for like 30k a few months prior)...the last 5.0 AS8 went for 30k just a few months ago.

-J.

No, lol...because

a. there are so many of them...and b...because he was always kind of whiney;) (sorry;)

My showcase went up 10 times from what I paid for it;) The AF15, not quite so much

-J.

No, lol...because

a. there are so many of them...and b...because he was always kind of whiney;) (sorry;)

My showcase went up 10 times from what I paid for it;) The AF15, not quite so much

Of course that all depends on when you bought, the deal you negotiated, which grade, etc. I purchased an AF 15 and a showcase 4 at about the same time. On the AF 15 I have over $15k I'm equity now. In the showcase 4, about $4k. The percentage increase in the showcase was more, but in an actual dollars and cents analysis, the AF 15 nearly quadruples the showcase.

It's just not even close.

-J.

-J.

No, lol...because

Of course that all depends on when you bought, the deal you negotiated, which grade, etc. I purchased an AF 15 and a showcase 4 at about the same time. On the AF 15 I have over $15k I'm equity now. In the showcase 4, about $4k. The percentage increase in the showcase was more, but in an actual dollars and cents analysis, the AF 15 nearly quadruples the showcase.

-J.

Curious to more details on that. If you bought them at "around the same time" and the AF15 is worth 15k, and the showcase 4 is only worth 4k you didn't spend nearly the same amount on them. If the showcase 4 has gone up more in a % way more than the AF15 if you initially invested the same amount in each one wouldn't the Showcase 4 be the winner....

Edited by iceman399

-J.

No, lol...because

-J.

Curious to more details on that. If you bought them at "around the same time" and the AF15 is worth 15k, and the showcase 4 is only worth 4k you didn't spend nearly the same amount on them. If the showcase 4 has gone up more in a % way more than the AF15 if you initially invested the same amount in each one wouldn't the Showcase 4 be the winner....

Showcase is a lower grade, and less was spent. That's why the percentage increase is greater, but not the dollar figure. Had I purchased grade for grade the AF 15 would still be up about $10k, give or take.

-J.

When buying a key, it's always best to try to buy the best grade you can afford. With Amazing Fantasy #15, you can find one in just about every grade on any given day. WIth Showcase #4, no matter what your budget can afford, the fact is there's just not enough of them. Unless, like it's been said, there are large hoards of high-grade DC's lurking somewhere, the supply/demand aspect could continue to push the price of a copy higher and higher if more and more fans are looking for one.

I do like the Hulk 1 v SC 4 comparison. AF15 sales are regretted because the price went up. SC 4 and Hulk 1 sales are regretted because the price went up and you can't find another one.

I can see a hard core ASM collector selling his cherished CGC 5.0 because it has a marvel chip that he can't get past. Sell it for FMV and then spend a few months looking for a better copy. The Flash collector simply wouldn't do that or wouldn't be wise to. He'd buy the 4.5 first that he liked, then sell the 3.0 to help fund it. Otherwise you could wait 2 years to find the right copy and what collector can go without for that long.