• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

I offered a very fair price, all things considered. Seller was fairly incredulous and told me he/she was SURE it was worth more than 2K even though he/she admits non-paying bidders drove up the price.

In other words, it's a lost cause.

No, but yes. (shrug)

No one is gonna sell an item for that price with 0 feedback. The only reason I think it is a legit deal is that he is not asking too low of a price, which is the usual red flag.

I would not buy a book like that from someone with no history. If I was really interested I would send a message asking about history of the book and if he has conducted any business elsewhere. The asking price does seem fairly normal however and nothing seems suspicious from the pictures alone

No, but yes. (shrug)

No one is gonna sell an item for that price with 0 feedback. The only reason I think it is a legit deal is that he is not asking too low of a price, which is the usual red flag.

I had the same train of thought hm

I would not buy a book like that from someone with no history. If I was really interested I would send a message asking about history of the book and if he has conducted any business elsewhere. The asking price does seem fairly normal however and nothing seems suspicious from the pictures alone

I have sent a message already asking these types of questions and am awaiting a response....not holding my breath though :whatev:

No, but yes. (shrug)

The red flag is 10k or more you have zero Paypal protection. They get the money even if you're sent a brick.

The guy lives 2 hours from me. If someone wants to buy it I can be the middle-man that makes sure it's real; meaning I have the book in my hand and I tell you "yes, I have it in my hand" then whoever the buyer is can send him/her payment. I would expect a nice bottle of wine in return. :) If he/she tries something stupid, well, it's PA, you figure it out. Don't leave home without it.

On a side note 10k for a 3.0?

No, but yes. (shrug)

The red flag is 10k or more you have zero Paypal protection. They get the money even if you're sent a brick.

The guy lives 2 hours from me. If someone wants to buy it I can be the middle-man that makes sure it's real; meaning I have the book in my hand and I tell you "yes, I have it in my hand" then whoever the buyer is can send him/her payment. I would expect a nice bottle of wine in return. :) If he/she tries something stupid, well, it's PA, you figure it out. Don't leave home without it.

I heard back from the seller and I received usual scammer story....it was his dads and he has had it for 20 years ....he himself only recently got back into collecting, he was collecting in the 90's.....his wife wont let him keep it once she found out how much its worth...he had it graded and now he is going to sell it.

It was graded one year ago...I asked for a modern newspaper to show he has the book he added a current newspaper with pics of the book on his ebay listing.

On the front cover half way done their is a huge tear on the front cover...and the $10000 price to avoid the Paypal protection sets off too many alarms.

He does reply to the questions though...all except the one about him knowing anyone on the cgc boards that can vouch for him...no answer on that one.

No, but yes. (shrug)

I heard back from the seller and I received usual scammer story....it was his dads and he has had it for 20 years ....he himself only recently got back into collecting, he was collecting in the 90's.....his wife wont let him keep it once she found out how much its worth...he had it graded and now he is going to sell it.

It was graded one year ago...I asked for a modern newspaper to show he has the book he added a current newspaper with pics of the book on his ebay listing.

On the front cover half way done their is a huge tear on the front cover...and the $10000 price to avoid the Paypal protection sets off too many alarms.

He does reply to the questions though...all except the one about him knowing anyone on the cvc boards that can vouch for him...no answer on that one.

That all actually sounds plausible to me. I still would not buy a book that expensive off an unknown entity but it could be legit.

No, but yes. (shrug)

He does reply to the questions though...all except the one about him knowing anyone on the cvc boards that can vouch for him...no answer on that one.

That all actually sounds plausible to me. I still would not buy a book that expensive off an unknown entity but it could be legit.

....does eBay still offer eBay escrow ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I could be wrong, but from what I understand most PayPal accounts are limited to only be able to send/receive a certain amount in a single transaction (I think it's $10,000). I've sent/received $10k+ payments before, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this 0-feedback guy can't even receive a $10k PayPal payment. So you'd have to pay by something with zero protection outside of eBay/PayPal. It's not like it's a great deal anyway, so why risk it.

No, but yes. (shrug)

....does eBay still offer eBay escrow ? GOD BLESS...

If the seller accepts the escrow company I think Ebay still does unless they have changed their policy as of late. (shrug)

.... you're right about that...... I hadn't sold on eBay in a few years and my recent sale had my funds delayed until the feedback came.....and it was only a 60 dollar sale. A 0 feedback guy would have to jump through flaming hoops of eBay fire to complete a 10K transaction.... GOD BLESS....

.... you're right about that...... I hadn't sold on eBay in a few years and my recent sale had my funds delayed until the feedback came.....and it was only a 60 dollar sale. A 0 feedback guy would have to jump through flaming hoops of eBay fire to complete a 10K transaction.... GOD BLESS....

lol

So true!

That is very true. He might actually be more at risk of being scammed by a buyer just because if it goes through paypal that money is going nowhere unless the buyer is nothing less than happy.

So if you pay $10K for something via Paypal and you get shafted you get 0.0% protection?

I guess you learn something new every day. Sounds like a wildly_fanciful_statement policy tho.

With all the $ flowing through Paypal you'd think instead of giving you nada they'd up their game for high $ transactions and ensure that things were kosher.

I'm not sure where this comes from - but I've never heard you don't get protection over $10K.

Paypal limits most to $10K per transaction, and they won't cover you for multiple transactions for a single book.

If you buy something for $12K and the seller asks you to send two separate $6K paypal payments, you might be on the hook for one if something goes south!

Some sellers can get a higher limit applied for through paypal (mine is $60K).

SO - my advice to you as a buyer in general would be to say no if you are asked to split into multiple paypal transactions......

This showcase 4 looks like a scam. As for market value, I've sold a few of these this year and would say a 3.0 should bring $7000 to $9000, depending upon presentation/quality.

Joey

I'm not sure where this comes from - but I've never heard you don't get protection over $10K.

Paypal limits most to $10K per transaction, and they won't cover you for multiple transactions for a single book.

If you buy something for $12K and the seller asks you to send two separate $6K paypal payments, you might be on the hook for one if something goes south!

Some sellers can get a higher limit applied for through paypal (mine is $60K).

SO - my advice to you as a buyer in general would be to say no if you are asked to split into multiple paypal transactions......

This showcase 4 looks like a scam. As for market value, I've sold a few of these this year and would say a 3.0 should bring $7000 to $9000, depending upon presentation/quality.

Joey

$7-$9k for a 3.0? Damn.

-J.