• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

Another component about collectibles, price and fluctuations. If the market stagnates or corrects to any degree, I have to imagine the number of AF 15's that would come to market would bury the number of SC 4's. As long as prices go up, demand will overwhelm supply. Once prices settle or drop, supply starts to muscle in on the whole equation.

Another component about collectibles, price and fluctuations. If the market stagnates or corrects to any degree, I have to imagine the number of AF 15's that would come to market would bury the number of SC 4's. As long as prices go up, demand will overwhelm supply. Once prices settle or drop, supply starts to muscle in on the whole equation.

Just out of curiosity when prices have fallen in the past did more copies come to market?

I would expect supply to shrink as the price drops.

Edited by The-Collector

I remember debates about which one would you rather have when I first got to the forum in 2002-2003. Prices were really close between the two. This was also around the time of the first Spider-Man movie. Now prices are getting closer again. hm

I don't think ANYONE would have said 4 years ago that More Fun 73 would outsell All Star 8, yet here we are that the last MFC73 went for 75k last month in a 5.0 (a 3 went for like 30k a few months prior)...the last 5.0 AS8 went for 30k just a few months ago.

Before agreeing that one book has passed another I'd need to see a trend, not just a few sales.

That's one of the problems with the internet and GPA data, people don't have the patience to see where the chips are actually falling. They just assume every new data point is the new value.

Again, remember you couldn't give away an All Star #8 or a More Fun #73 just a couple of years ago. This movie craze has no real logic to it.

But again, I'd need to see a trend of several books in several grades before coming to a final conclusion.

And as far as the Hulk #1 / AF #15 discussion that happened a few months ago on here, did Hulk #1 surpass AF #15? No, AF #15 just pushed up higher.

In my opinion that same thing will happen if SC #4 continues to heat up - it won't surpass other books it will just push them up.

Personally, I'm not a fan of all this movie hype.

Oh, and for disclosure I don't own any of these books being discussed at the moment. :D

I don't think ANYONE would have said 4 years ago that More Fun 73 would outsell All Star 8, yet here we are that the last MFC73 went for 75k last month in a 5.0 (a 3 went for like 30k a few months prior)...the last 5.0 AS8 went for 30k just a few months ago.

Before agreeing that one book has passed another I'd need to see a trend, not just a few sales.

That's one of the problems with the internet and GPA data, people don't have the patience to see where the chips are actually falling. They just assume every new data point is the new value.

Again, remember you couldn't give away an All Star #8 or a More Fun #73 just a couple of years ago. This movie craze has no real logic to it.

But again, I'd need to see a trend of several books in several grades before coming to a final conclusion.

And as far as the Hulk #1 / AF #15 discussion that happened a few months ago on here, did Hulk #1 surpass AF #15? No, AF #15 just pushed up higher.

In my opinion that same thing will happen if SC #4 continues to heat up - it won't surpass other books it will just push them up.

Oh, and for disclosure I don't own any of these books being discussed at the moment. :D

+1

That's EXACTLY what has happened. (thumbs u

-J.

Oh I agree and I don't see the prices staying where they are ASC/MFC. But to make a claim that a book will NEVER pass another book is a stupid comment (not calling you or anyone saying that it can't pass AF15 stupid, but only siths deal in absolutes) :D .

only siths deal in absolutes

And I understand your point as well. I've believed in 'never say never' since my teenage years...but I made that statement with the point being that as far as trends are concerned one will 'never' pass the other...meaning you could have a 'one off' where one book sells for a higher price than the other but it's an outlier. Like when a book that will press up a grade or two breaks a record. The only reason the book is breaking the record is because it's in the wrong grade to begin with.

Yes, I realize DC could buy Marvel and drive Spidey into the ground in order to make the Flash their flagship character and then SC #4 will overtake AF #15 and I would eat my 'never', but this is a very unlikely scenario.

:cool:

And I understand your point as well. I've believed in 'never say never' since my teenage years...but I made that statement with the point being that as far as trends are concerned one will 'never' pass the other...meaning you could have a 'one off' where one book sells for a higher price than the other but it's an outlier. Like when a book that will press up a grade or two breaks a record. The only reason the book is breaking the record is because it's in the wrong grade to begin with.

Yes, I realize DC could buy Marvel and drive Spidey into the ground in order to make the Flash their flagship character and then SC #4 will overtake AF #15 and I would eat my 'never', but this is a very unlikely scenario.

Oh I totally know what your saying, and agree that it would be very very very unlikely that SC4 constantly sells over AF15.

However correct me if I am wrong (way to young to be involved in the keys years ago), did SC4 not outperform AF15 for a number of years (until Spider-man took the big spotlight and pumped out like Deadpool is now)?

I should have held onto this copy I had back in 2009. ended up selling it for $2,275. I sold it becuz there was talk on the boards at that time about SC4 being a dead book, and that it may even drop over time. lesson learned about not listening to all the "board banter" and stick with what you believe.

wonder where it is today and what it would sell for, as it was a nice presenting 3.0 copy.

Showcase4fc.jpg

I should have held onto this copy I had back in 2009. ended up selling it for $2,275. I sold it becuz there was talk on the boards at that time about SC4 being a dead book, and that it may even drop over time. lesson learned about not listening to all the "board banter" and stick with what you believe.

wonder where it is today and what it would sell for, as it was a nice presenting 3.0 copy.

Showcase4fc.jpg

Wow...that's a great looking 3.0. This book was dead in 2006-2010. Sorry to see you let it go.

The rarity of SC4 combined with its rapid price increase made me break my rule of never purchasing a restored book - when a very nice Restored CGC 1.5 was presented to me at a reasonable price, I jumped at it (as it is one of my all time grails).

I don't want to own an AF15 - Spidey just doesn't float my boat, but if I did you can basically have your pick of copies due to its high availability - SC4 not so much :)

Edited by Chillax23

Oh I totally know what your saying, and agree that it would be very very very unlikely that SC4 constantly sells over AF15.

However correct me if I am wrong (way to young to be involved in the keys years ago), did SC4 not outperform AF15 for a number of years (until Spider-man took the big spotlight and pumped out like Deadpool is now)?

I remember when the Flash TV series in the 1990's propelled Showcase 4 over AF15. I believe in the OSPG 22nd edition, SC4 jumped like 30%+ and I wouldn't be surprise to see a big jump in the 2015 OSPG. The current Flash TV series and interests has moved SC4 up to new heights. Currently, both Flash and Spiderman are in the limelight...so both will move up. But AF15 is the BIGGER key book. Marvel is the KING in the Silver Age.

And now for something completely different . . .

enter the ugly stepbrother

lf_zpseb193662.jpg

. . . sorry, but it is :eek:

Not the best composition in a work of cover art.

And now for something completely different . . .

enter the ugly stepbrother

lf_zpseb193662.jpg

. . . sorry, but it is :eek:

Not the best composition in a work of cover art.

mods notified :baiting: