• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #181 club

818 posts in this topic

I previously posted by $99 Hulk 181 that I picked up off ebay (Marvel stamp cut out). Just got it back from CGC as it was signed with a Wolvie head sketch by Herb Trimpe at the Baltimore comic con - quite excited to have this signed book in my collection :)

DSCF6986a.jpg

Very nice - looks better than a 1.8 (thumbs u

I previously posted by $99 Hulk 181 that I picked up off ebay (Marvel stamp cut out). Just got it back from CGC as it was signed with a Wolvie head sketch by Herb Trimpe at the Baltimore comic con - quite excited to have this signed book in my collection :)

DSCF6986a.jpg

Yeah, I agree. That looks WAY better than a 1.8!! If you only paid $99 for it, you got a steal!

Nice book.

DSCF6986a.jpg

Yeah, I agree. That looks WAY better than a 1.8!! If you only paid $99 for it, you got a steal!

Nice book.

You paid $99 for the book on Ebay :o

NICE!!!! :applause:

DSCF6986a.jpg

Nice book.

Pretty sure the only reason it's that low is because of the missing stamp.

DSCF6986a.jpg

Nice book.

>>Yep, that is the main reason for the 1.8 from CGC - the Marvel stamp was cut out. The notes from CGC say the book is incomplete but the missing stamp does not affect the storyline. Somebody put the raw book on ebay for a buy it now of $99. I figured it would get this grade but the cover looks very nice and I wanted a cheap copy to get signed so I bought it. Also picked up a Hulk 180 which I sent along with this book and Herb Trimpe signed and sketched Wolverine's head on that book too - it came back an 8.5

DSCF6986a.jpg

Nice book.

>>Yep, that is the main reason for the 1.8 from CGC - the Marvel stamp was cut out. The notes from CGC say the book is incomplete but the missing stamp does not affect the storyline. Somebody put the raw book on ebay for a buy it now of $99. I figured it would get this grade but the cover looks very nice and I wanted a cheap copy to get signed so I bought it. Also picked up a Hulk 180 which I sent along with this book and Herb Trimpe signed and sketched Wolverine's head on that book too - it came back an 8.5

Nice - I have a couple of Herb remarks on reprints of Hulk 181 (Wizard Ace reprints - DF Certs) :cloud9:

I don't understand something. Yesterday "mschmidt" posted a 9.2 qualified Hulk 181 that was in wonderful condition, but the label mentioned the missing stamp. Granted this copy isn't as nice but I don't see it as a 1.8. What are the flaws I'm missing?

I don't understand something. Yesterday "mschmidt" posted a 9.2 qualified Hulk 181 that was in wonderful condition, but the label mentioned the missing stamp. Granted this copy isn't as nice but I don't see it as a 1.8. What are the flaws I'm missing?

I was thinking of the same thing. I believe you can request a universal label instead of a qualified - but it knocks the grade down considerably. That's what I think happened here.

It's a 1.8 because of the missing stamp. There is no qualified signature series label. If its a yellow label, the only defect that gets ignored is the signature, so all other defects would count against the grade.

If that same green label 9.2 that you saw was slabbed for signature series, then it would be a 1.8 too.

It's a 1.8 because of the missing stamp. There is no qualified signature series label. If its a yellow label, the only defect that gets ignored is the signature, so all other defects would count against the grade.

If that same green label 9.2 that you saw was slabbed for signature series, then it would be a 1.8 too.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Here it is! My scanner doesn't give justice to the book, it's too fuzzy and leaves a glare everytime I've tried to scan it. I even tried with my digital camera but flash produces a glare as well and I can't turn off the flash...grrr.

Does anyone know what resolution to scan books in CGC cases and not get a glare?

Nonetheless I'm a very proud owner!!!

hulk181.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here it is! My scanner doesn't give justice to the book, it's too fuzzy and leaves a glare everytime I've tried to scan it. I even tried with my digital camera but flash produces a glare as well and I can't turn off the flash...grrr.

Does anyone know what resolution to scan books in CGC cases and not get a glare?

You need a new scanner. I'll bet you have a Canon, yes?

hulk181.png

Oh my - what a very nice book. :headbang:

hulk181.png

Oh my - what a very nice book. :headbang:

Thanks! Came out of pocket for it but wanted the top key bronze issue in my collection. Called CGC today and got notes on it and based on what I was told it could be possibly pressed, but that's down the road for me, not in a rush to do that just yet.