• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ranking the Dealers

238 posts in this topic

Jon Jespersen should be up there.

Pros Great books, excellent grading, good customer service skills.

Cons: Soul patch, smoking

Had a lot of good experiences with Bob Storms and Steve Ritter. Have always had pleasant dealings with Vince @ Metro. As always, my biggest "gripe" if you will, is that Metro has most of the books I am looking for but IMO, are overpriced. When I see a book sit for 5 years, it's overpriced. 2c Would love to give them more business but a small, maybe 5% discount on a book that's probably 20% overpriced to begin with doesn't exactly make one warm and fuzzy about pulling the trigger.

Nice work Brian. (thumbs u

Judging from the comments (and please, don't take this as being dismissive) I really think a list like this needs to be put together for "rank and file" sellers - a few that quickly come to mind are Flaming_Telepath and yourself. I'm sure there are lots of others. While the inventory of the smaller, less established sellers may pale in comparison, I think the criteria of exhibiting at cons has lost its luster in the digital age, and while I respect a lot of the dealers on that list (especially the Blazing one), I really think the rank and file are less about hype and name, and more about getting the back-breaking work done that's needed to keep this hobby moving in a positive direction. 2c

Nice work Brian. (thumbs u

Judging from the comments (and please, don't take this as being dismissive) I really think a list like this needs to be put together for "rank and file" sellers - a few that quickly come to mind are Flaming_Telepath and yourself. I'm sure there are lots of others. While the inventory of the smaller, less established sellers may pale in comparison, I think the criteria of exhibiting at cons has lost its luster in the digital age, and while I respect a lot of the dealers on that list (especially the Blazing one), I really think the rank and file are less about hype and name, and more about getting the back-breaking work done that's needed to keep this hobby moving in a positive direction. 2c

I would agree with all of this. (thumbs u (thumbs u

I'll just throw in my appreciation for my LCS Comic Book World in Florence, KY. Paul Mullins has been around since forever and always has an excellent inventory. His best stuff sells so quickly, though, you've got to be alert to what has come in. Probably the best thing about him, though, is that he is scrupulously fair with the people he buys from from. He pays way better than anyone I've ever seen. It may end up giving him less room to maneuver when someone wants a big discount, but you can be comfortable knowing that everyone involved in the deal was treated honestly.

I think the criteria of exhibiting at cons has lost its luster in the digital age, and while I respect a lot of the dealers on that list (especially the Blazing one), I really think the rank and file are less about hype and name, and more about getting the back-breaking work done that's needed to keep this hobby moving in a positive direction. 2c

I think I agree with you more than I disagree, but I also see the con dealers as putting in a lot of work and the conventions as being necessary for immediate cashflow which allows them to keep buying and providing a constant selection of strong inventory. There are sometimes deals at a certain price that I have to turn down that if I was already committed to a full slate of cons, I'd be able to justify it.

Judging from the comments (and please, don't take this as being dismissive) I really think a list like this needs to be put together for "rank and file" sellers - a few that quickly come to mind are Flaming_Telepath and yourself.

I'm honoured to be thought of in these terms. Seriously.

:foryou:

I always enjoy Brian's ranking list. For the most part, he's spot on in his assessments. I don't agree with all of his rankings, but his commentary is pretty much dead on for most of it.

Everyone knows I'm not the President of Chuck's fanclub and I don't agree with him being on this list, but I understand why Brian puts him on there.

Always nice to see Storms holding the fort down on these rankings, as he is my alltime favorite.

I agree with this list, besides Mile High of course. Plenty of great books and dealers all around so I never even consider buying from him.

A major plus for me is customer service and a positive attitude. I cannot stand rude dealers. I don't haggle over price too much. So if I'm about to reach into my pocket and pay you my hard earned cash, you better at least be nice to me and not treat me like a nobody!

Most of the books I buy are not rare so I have no problem buying them from the dealers I like.

When I was a kid Doug S bounced 2 cheques to me .... 20 or so years ago...

But he is a good Manitoba guy ...

Not in my top ten though .....

=======

Re comic link...they would have been there for me but they are having issues with their new payment system ...not sure ......but good guys ..

TG99

Have dealt with many of those on the list. My only substantial disagreement would be Metro at the top. I can't get past the loose raw grading.

+1 (thumbs u

+2 (thumbs u (thumbs u

SO far ive only bought from Richard (bedrockcity) and Bob(highgradecomics) and needless to say i dont need to go looking anywhere else dealer wise...

i trust richard when it comes to prices and grading.. he's always helped me with advice or giving me 1st shot at books he knows im looking for...just a good all around guy.. would tell anyone to buy from him...its nice to have him in town as my LCS too lol

and bob i just started buying from him and i cant say anything other then GREAT SELLER...always willing to work with me and the fastest shipping ive ever seen...stand up guy and i look forward to buying many more books from him years to come...

SO far ive only bought from Richard (bedrockcity) and Bob(highgradecomics) and needless to say i dont need to go looking anywhere else dealer wise...

Between those two, you really don't need to look anywhere else. Both are top-notch, A+ guys.

I didn't mention Richard (bedrockcity) in my previous post, but I should have. My experiences with him have been more on a collector/comic geek to collector/comic geek level as opposed to a dealer to customer level.