• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHOWCASE 9 and ADVENTURE 247 are Useless Silver Age Books!

143 posts in this topic

Leave Krypto out of this discussion please. The dog has feelings too. Showcase 9, and Adv 247 must take the brunt of this discussion.

Adv 210 is not part of top 20 silver age but is actually of the same calibre and comparable to the Adv 247 and Showcase 9.

Leave Krypto out of this discussion please. The dog has feelings too. Showcase 9, and Adv 247 must take the brunt of this discussion.

Adv 210 is not part of top 20 silver age but is actually of the same calibre and comparable to the Adv 247 and Showcase 9.

I put it up because it was mentioned earlier in the thread and it was once in the top 20. I don't think Adventure 247 or Showcase 9 are useless.

Overpriced? Perhaps. I guess my rule of thumb is: If I already own it then it's undervalued and if it's on my want list then it's terribly overpriced. :grin:

Saying Showcase 9 is "useless" is like saying Whiz #2 (first Captain Marvel) is useless because nobody really collects those much anymore. At one time the popularity of the character rivaled (surpassed?) Superman and it was a highly collectable series for collectors in the 60's and 70's.

Likewise, Lois Lane was/is a popular character for DC. She maintained her own title for 15 years (longer than Captain Marvel!) and the Showcase 9 is her first solo appearance in a book dedicated to her. There are quite a few people who collect Lois, although not many when compared to a Marvel title. Lois is a "complete-able" title for silver age DC Superman collectors, I have heard of at least half a dozen collectors who have full runs, I myself and missing 3 issues in what is a mid to high grade set.

So while Showcase 9 isn't really siginificant compared to a Marvel key, it is a book of significance in the DC silver age world. As is Showcase 6 which is the first appearance of a titled collected even less than Lois Lane....Chaallengers of the Unknown.

And Adventure 247? Bah! It is/has been/will continue to be a big time DC silver key and has a substantial following.

Saying Showcase 9 is "useless" is like saying Whiz #2 (first Captain Marvel) is useless because nobody really collects those much anymore. At one time the popularity of the character rivaled (surpassed?) Superman and it was a highly collectable series for collectors in the 60's and 70's.

Wasn't Whiz #2 up there as the in contention for the most valuable book in the late 60s or early 70s as well?

Wasn't Whiz #2 up there as the in contention for the most valuable book in the late 60s or early 70s as well?

Sure was.

It's still a big book IMHO.

Sure was.

I always wanted a Whiz 2, Detective 1, back in the early 1990's. You can trade these books for many many AF15 back then. :screwy:

Sure was.

I always wanted a Whiz 2, Detective 1, back in the early 1990's. You can trade these books for many many AF15 back then. :screwy:

The closing of the gap between Golden Age DC and Silver Age Marvel has been nothing short of astonishing. Back in the 70's, you could get dozens of copies of AF #15, in all grades, for a nice, high grade Whiz #2.

How the mighty have fallen.

Sure was.

The closing of the gap between Golden Age DC and Silver Age Marvel has been nothing short of astonishing. Back in the 70's, you could get dozens of copies of AF #15, in all grades, for a nice, high grade Whiz #2.

Instead of buying a Whiz 2 in the 1970's, someone could add a little more $ and got themselves an Action 1 or a Detective 27. doh!

Sure was.

Instead of buying a Whiz 2 in the 1970's, someone could add a little more $ and got themselves an Action 1 or a Detective 27. doh!

Yeah, but hindsight is 20/20

Nobody knew back then that Whiz or All Star (or take your pic of titles) would fall off a cliff.

Sure was.

Nobody knew back then that Whiz or All Star (or take your pic of titles) would fall off a cliff.

That was definitely hindsight...just fun to point it out. I'm sure some of the comics I own now will be stagnant in the future. :hi:

Sure was.

Actually, I think those 2 declined for different reasons. All Star because the series turned out to be way more common in high grade than most people had realized. It's a pretty high-demand series, but supply at current prices outweighed demand.

Whiz 2, while it wouldn't have kept pace with Action 1 or Detective 27, has in my opinion suffered because it has completely vanished from the radar of most GA collectors. Decent unrestored copies NEVER come up for sale. The MH copy changed hands approximately 14 years ago. I have never seen any copies publicly for sale that weren't low grade. Even the restored copies that have come up for sale were low grade.

Maybe people think because the later issues of Whiz and other Capt Marvel titles are so plentiful in high grade that Whiz 2 is common too. It's not. People talk about AA 16 being tough, but I've seen many better unrestored copies of AA 16 than Whiz 2.

It could very well be that no one cares about Capt Marvel or Whiz 2 anymore, and even if a high grade unrestored copy showed up, it would be a dud at auction. I think the actual results if one actually showed up might surprise a lot of people who seem to look down on the book.

It could very well be that no one cares about Capt Marvel or Whiz 2 anymore, and even if a high grade unrestored copy showed up, it would be a dud at auction. I think the actual results if one actually showed up might surprise a lot of people who seem to look down on the book.

I wonder if a book like this can rebuild it's reputation once it disappears from the public eye. Has any book ever done this? I know Batman had a huge spike across the board in 1989 but I'm not sure that it was ever a dead title.

Any other examples?

I personally regard early Whiz issues as one of the greatest runs of all time (they did get really corny in later issues but hey, who didn't? It sold back in the 1940's) and have my eye on a very pretty low grade copy right now.

I wonder if a book like this can rebuild it's reputation once it disappears from the public eye. Has any book ever done this? I know Batman had a huge spike across the board in 1989 but I'm not sure that it was ever a dead title.

Any other examples?

I personally regard early Whiz issues as one of the greatest runs of all time (they did get really corny in later issues but hey, who didn't? It sold back in the 1940's) and have my eye on a very pretty low grade copy right now.

I think Whiz #2 was a book that did just that. I'll have to dig up some old price guides, but I think it benefitted from a spike in the mid 1980s, and actually closed the gap in value against Action 1 and Tec 27.