• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHOWCASE 9 and ADVENTURE 247 are Useless Silver Age Books!

143 posts in this topic

It could very well be that no one cares about Capt Marvel or Whiz 2 anymore, and even if a high grade unrestored copy showed up, it would be a dud at auction. I think the actual results if one actually showed up might surprise a lot of people who seem to look down on the book.

I wonder if a book like this can rebuild it's reputation once it disappears from the public eye. Has any book ever done this? I know Batman had a huge spike across the board in 1989 but I'm not sure that it was ever a dead title.

Any other examples?

Maybe MC #1, especially the Pay copy, would benefit from this as well.

Based on posts in a BA thread, it sounds like the Adams Batbooks and GLs suffered from a let down in the late 70s/early 80s and stayed relatively dormant until the early 2000s. Enlightened collectors started chasing them around that time before the rest of the herd jumped in 3 or 4 years ago. :applause:

Captain Marvel's day has come and gone. As those actually old enought to recall his prime leave the comic market place, only his reputation as the character who once outsold Superman remains to remind collectors of how huge he once was. Whiz #2 will always be a key, but I don't think it will remain a major one.

In the future, I would expect the value gap between broadly accepted major keys (Action #1, Detective #27, Superman #1, Marvel Comics #1) and the next tier to widen, and a continued softening of demand for lesser keys that are first issues but not first appearances( I'm thinking specifically of books like Human Torch #2 (1), All-Winners #1, and All-Flash #1) - especially as classic and iconic covers supplant first issues of lesser runs as the most highly sought after issues.

On yet another unrelated/related topic, anyone have favorite stories from the LSH's first 10-12 or so? I thought the Adventure 369-370 storyline was one of the top 3 or 4 from that era. Written by Shooter in a Marvel style, the story was fast paced, suspensful, a lot of action, yet had a lot of human touches in it.

On yet another unrelated/related topic, anyone have favorite stories from the LSH's first 10-12 or so? I thought the Adventure 369-370 storyline was one of the top 3 or 4 from that era. Written by Shooter in a Marvel style, the story was fast paced, suspensful, a lot of action, yet had a lot of human touches in it.

So many good stories, the two issues you names are some of my favorites as well.

340-341, death of Triplicate Girl and 350-351

304 death of Lightning Lad, 312 res of Lightning Lad

332 Moby D i c k of Space...I can go on and on... :cloud9:

So many good stories, the two issues you names are some of my favorites as well.

Legion was always one of the best written DC series, which is why it had so many fanatical supporters.

Captain Marvel's day has come and gone. As those actually old enought to recall his prime leave the comic market place, only his reputation as the character who once outsold Superman remains to remind collectors of how huge he once was. Whiz #2 will always be a key, but I don't think it will remain a major one.

All it would take is for the character to be done in such a way that it amasses an entirely new generation of fans.

Not likely, no, but certainly within the realm of possibility.

I enjoyed the Ferro Lad issues....and that issue where the guy was hunting them sticks out in my mind, not sure of the issue number. I think Shooter wrote that one also. The giant purple guy with the brain in the glass dome was one of the coolest looking villins of all time, but I can't recall his name or issue number...it was 45 years ago, stayed in the stack beside the bed for a LONG time and certainly ended up a VG before Mom got a hold of it. I miss my Mom :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Legion was always one of the best written DC series, which is why it had so many fanatical supporters.

I love #247. The cover and artwork is astounding. So astounding I'd give GAtor's right nu...ARM for an 8.0 with ultra nice PQ... :roflmao:

I enjoyed the Ferro Lad issues....and that issue where the guy was hunting them sticks out in my mind, not sure of the issue number.

#358 if you ever want to look for a reader.

I think Shooter wrote that one also. The giant purple guy with the brain in the glass dome was one of the coolest looking villins of all time, but I can't recall his name or issue number

Validus....and I agree!

...it was 45 years ago, stayed in the stack beside the bed for a LONG time and certainly ended up a VG before Mom got a hold of it. I miss my Mom :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

A 7.5 CGC copy of Adventure 247 was listed recently on Clink @ nearly 7 K. That may prove to be a bit aggressive, but certainly a rarity in that condition. GOD BLESS...

Urban legend has it that a certain creator was a big Krypto fan

Fact is that it was Billy Mumy (of Lost in Space fame, and a part time comic writer) who drove the price on that book. He paid $5000 for a high grade copy at a time when that was an absurd amount.

Yes, but only after he searched high and low for a copy and wrote about it fairly extensively.

His mistake was not picking up all the undercopies before OS exploded the price on this.

Include me in with Danny; I also enjoy collecting Legion and LL books. Also, as I recall a couple of years ago Heritage auctioned an 8.0 copy of LL1 and it went for major buckos. Perhaps we are in the minority but comic book collectors as a whole are in the minority. I have a whole group of family and friends who can give a rat's (you know what) about vintage comics. Doesn't matter whether it's an AF 15 or a Golden Age vintage book. They'll run to see the latest Superhero movie but they aren't running to major comic book conventions or checking out the latest auctions; in fact they don't even know that C-link, CC, or Heritage even exist. And they probably outnumber us 1000-1 or more.

Just my 2c

SLR

Showcase 9 is a deadbeat book and Adventure 247 based on my readings in this thread has somewhat of a small following. Scans of cgc copies of these anyone for amusement?

I have to assume that this post is sarcasm, as I have multiple people lined up for copies of both books.

I enjoyed the Ferro Lad issues....and that issue where the guy was hunting them sticks out in my mind, not sure of the issue number.

#358 if you ever want to look for a reader.

I think Shooter wrote that one also. The giant purple guy with the brain in the glass dome was one of the coolest looking villins of all time, but I can't recall his name or issue number

Validus....and I agree!

...it was 45 years ago, stayed in the stack beside the bed for a LONG time and certainly ended up a VG before Mom got a hold of it. I miss my Mom :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

I have fond memories of #367. I thought it was really cool when I read it in the 1970's. New HQ and the Miracle Machine.