• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHOWCASE 9 and ADVENTURE 247 are Useless Silver Age Books!

143 posts in this topic

Adventure #247, was my first "grail" ...a dear friend gave me a copy and it will never be for sale. SC9 was pretty hard to find, but it completed my Lois collection...and although she and Jimmy were kind of dorky, I probably won't split either of those runs up.

Except maybe Jimmy...but I'd keep the first 10 issues, not too easy to find those, either.

As “an oldie myself” I started collecting as a young lad and loved the LSH

In my late teens I found drink….and haven forbid women … :grin: …..and stopped collecting only to start again in my early 20’s

Approaching my 20’s I threw out what I now recon to be issues between 350 and 445 .....along with Worlds Finest/Action etc :makepoint: ...oh and X-Men :cry:

Yeh I know……………shoot me :frustrated:

Loved the Fatal Five story lines btw (thumbs u

I think the thing to keep in mind here is: Just because you don't personally know anyone that collects a title doesn't mean no one does. 2c

That depends on the number of comic collectors you know personally, and their collecting habits.

Personally, in my circle of 15 comic collecting buddies, no-one collected Lois Lane and only 2 had any interest in Showcase (#4 & 22).

However, several had an interest in collecting Legion and Adventure 247 was highly coveted.

Today, they all collect original comic art and their comic collecting days are well behind them.

Adventure #247, was my first "grail" ...a dear friend gave me a copy and it will never be for sale. SC9 was pretty hard to find, but it completed my Lois collection...and although she and Jimmy were kind of dorky, I probably won't split either of those runs up.

Except maybe Jimmy...but I'd keep the first 10 issues, not too easy to find those, either.

I love the book Sharon. Post your copy sometime. :hi:

Count me in with the number of Legion collectors. I was a big fan of the team as a kid, and found it to be a (relatively) affordable run to try to put together some years back. I don't have an Adventure #247, and while it's not at the top of my list of keys to acquire, it's definitely been on my radar for a while. Someday ... :cloud9:

Do you all agree that these 2 books are insignificant silver age books. Nobody cares about Lois Lane landing here own appearance in Showcase 9 and nobody collects Legion of Super Heroes anymore- making Adventure 247 useless.

These should be wiped off the top 20 silver age list ASAP. Ridiculous I don't know one collector who collects Lois Lane or Legion of Super Heroes.

Show of hands please.

Comic Book character popularity ebb and flows, so I'd not write off those books at all, and in fact all it takes is a good writer, a good artist or a Hollywood film option to reinvigorate the popularity of any title.

The X-Men were cancelled as of Issue #66, then went to reprints due to a similar statement, then a few years later it reappeared with #94 and became a relevant and popular book.

The Legion of Super-Heroes was a great series in it's day and I was good up 'til Keith Giffen left the book in the mid 1980's, and then I lost track of the title and characters. I'm still a fan of the silver age back-issues, more so for reading than as investments or for collecting 'tho.

My copy, which I don't consider useless;-)

Nice! :applause:

Could we induce you to post your most excellent copy?

Since you asked so nicely... :grin:

My last SA DC major key. Not centered as well as yours (which is possibly the best centered copy I've ever seen).

adventure247-1.jpg

Have you posted your collection of these comics anywhere? In the Superman title thread or in the Adventure Comics thread perhaps?

???

My copy, which I don't consider useless;-)

Nice! :applause:

Could we induce you to post your most excellent copy?

Since you asked so nicely... :grin:

My last SA DC major key. Not centered as well as yours (which is possibly the best centered copy I've ever seen).

That is one stunning book and a ped to boot!

Amazing to think that one could have that book in that quality. There are very few high grade CGC copies. Don't know if there are many nice ungraded copies out there.