• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHOWCASE 9 and ADVENTURE 247 are Useless Silver Age Books!

143 posts in this topic

I find a couple of things fascinating about the Legion of Superheroes...

1. It took 4 YEARS for the group to get its own "regular series."

2. It was so huge in the 1970's, it is the only comic entity with its initial appearances counted out to 18 in the OSPG

Another reason why we need a new Price Guide!

:baiting:

:makepoint:

I collect both Adventure & Showcase and still need those two issues. Though my true comic reading heart belongs to Marvel I grew up with those Legion stories and still love them to this day.

And I collect Jimmy Olsen so :slapfight: to the OP.

I'll tell you why Lois Lane is a major book. It is #9 in DC's Silver Age holy grail title, Showcase. And by mile it is the hardest of the first 10 to find in grade. Anyone who wants to get the run has to go through Lois Lane to complete it. Anyone that wants a high grade run can pray and hope for a miracle. In the last three years how many 8.0 AF15s have changed hands. How many SC 9 have changed hands.

AF15 8.0 or better=7 21 exist in grade

SC 9 8.0 or better=1 only 4 exist

I don't collect SA DCs (I had a brief run a few years back), but I did own both books at one point..The 247 is tough to find (Adventure 210 is tougher in my brief SA DC exp)...the 247 and Showcase 9 are overpriced IMO...then again I'm a Marvel/GA guy :)

Let's not forget that Lois Lane was aimed at girls and there are female collectors too. In fact, I just helped one complete her Lois Lane run, including 1 and 2 and Showcase 10. Showcase 9, 10, and Lois 1 would probably make her top five SA keys list along with Action 252.

Just for fun, I wanted to compare the top 20 silver age books from 1991 vs 2009. Why 1991? I think this was the pivital year that launched the price run up of Silver Age books. Here we go:

1991 2009

Title Rank Value Rank Value

Showcase 4 #1 $4,000 #3 $48,000

AF 15 #2 $3,500 #1 $65,000

FF 1 #3 $3,500 #2 $52,000

ASM 1 #4 $3,400 #4 $44,000

Advture 247 #5 $1,700 #13 $12,000

B&B 28 #6 $1,400 #12 $13,000

Showcase 8 #7 $1,400 #7 $18,000

Tec 225 #8 $1,350 - $9,800

X-Men 1 #9 $1,260 #6 $22,000

Hulk 1 #10 $1,250 #5 $40,000

TOS 39 #11 $1,150 #9 $15,000

Showcase 22 #12 $1,050 #15 $10,000

Advture 210 #13 $1,000 - $6,500

ASM 2 #14 $1,000 - $9,000

Flash 105 #15 $1,000 #10 $14,000

JLA 1 #16 $1,000 #13 $12,000

JIM 83 #17 $925 #7 $18,000

FF 2 #18 $900 #18 $9,500

TTA 27 #19 $900 #15 $10,000

Avengers 1 #20 $875 #20 $9,200

By the way, Showcase #9 didn't even crack the top 40 Silver Age books...it was valued at $500 and is ranked 11th in the 2009 OPG with a value of $13,500.

GL #1 was ranked 23rd in 1991 with a value of $780

I don't collect SA DCs (I had a brief run a few years back), but I did own both books at one point..The 247 is tough to find (Adventure 210 is tougher in my brief SA DC exp)...the 247 and Showcase 9 are overpriced IMO...then again I'm a Marvel/GA guy :)

Adventure #210... :cloud9:

Urban legend has it that a certain creator was a big Krypto fan, and his efforts at trying to locate a copy in the 80's is what led to that book's big break out.

Urban legend has it that a certain creator was a big Krypto fan

Fact is that it was Billy Mumy (of Lost in Space fame, and a part time comic writer) who drove the price on that book. He paid $5000 for a high grade copy at a time when that was an absurd amount.

Show of hands please.

There are two in this thread..................

FWIW, I think it is a 2nd tier DC SA key now since the Legion has dropped in significance in the DCU. Maybe we will see the franchise revived in the future, but it is not as big a key as it used to be. That beings said, it is on my medium term want list.

Make it three. Lois Lane....piffle, but I grew up on Legion. Love the continued story where they join up with the enemy to battle the nasty Space Cloud. I nominate Duo Damsel as hottest super hero ever (twins) and miss her dead third iteration.

Adding myself to the count here :hi:

Legion collector for years, with only a coverless #247 and a barely VG #300, but I got 'em and I love 'em! :cloud9:

Only missing a handful of Legion appearances from 1956 to this very day. Adventure #247 is a huge book for me and for many other collectors as well and considering the long (and pretty much continuous) publishing history of the Legionnaires, it should definitely be considered a major key. That's why it gets top dollar whenever it appears on the market (not that often).

I never collected Lois Lane with the same passion as the Legion, but it is a title I'm always interested in. Plenty of wonderful covers and some really nice (albeit naive, but in that warm, innocent DC way) silver age stories.

I may agree that Showcase #9 should probably not be called a "major" key, but that definitely doesn't mean that there are no people collecting the title or looking for this particular issue. (And no, I don't have one, but I'm sure the right copy at the right price will come my way at the right time :wishluck: )

Happy 1,000th!

:whee:

Urban legend has it that a certain creator was a big Krypto fan

Fact is that it was Billy Mumy (of Lost in Space fame, and a part time comic writer) who drove the price on that book. He paid $5000 for a high grade copy at a time when that was an absurd amount.

I thought it was Grant Morrison, but I suppose they both could have been looking. ;)

Needless to say, it's a very hard book to find.

Show of hands please.

FWIW, I think it is a 2nd tier DC SA key now since the Legion has dropped in significance in the DCU. Maybe we will see the franchise revived in the future, but it is not as big a key as it used to be. That beings said, it is on my medium term want list.

Make it three. Lois Lane....piffle, but I grew up on Legion. Love the continued story where they join up with the enemy to battle the nasty Space Cloud. I nominate Duo Damsel as hottest super hero ever (twins) and miss her dead third iteration.

Legion collector for years, with only a coverless #247 and a barely VG #300, but I got 'em and I love 'em! :cloud9:

Only missing a handful of Legion appearances from 1956 to this very day. Adventure #247 is a huge book for me and for many other collectors as well and considering the long (and pretty much continuous) publishing history of the Legionnaires, it should definitely be considered a major key. That's why it gets top dollar whenever it appears on the market (not that often).

I never collected Lois Lane with the same passion as the Legion, but it is a title I'm always interested in. Plenty of wonderful covers and some really nice (albeit naive, but in that warm, innocent DC way) silver age stories.

I may agree that Showcase #9 should probably not be called a "major" key, but that definitely doesn't mean that there are no people collecting the title or looking for this particular issue. (And no, I don't have one, but I'm sure the right copy at the right price will come my way at the right time :wishluck: )

Happy 1,000th!

ON EBAY THERE HAVE BEEN A FEW ADV 247 WITH BUY IT NOW AND NEVER HAVE THEY BEEN SOLD OVER THE LAST YEAR. NO DEMAND WHATSOVER. STATISTICS PLEASE.

SHOWCASE 9 NEVER SELLS NEAR GUIDE. SCARCE BUT WITH LITTLE OR NO DEMAND.

BOTH THESE BOOKS HAVE GUIDED FOR ALOT OVER THE YEARS BECAUSE THEY ARE OLD BUT NOT BECAUSE OF DEMAND OR SIGNIFICANCE. THEREFORE BOTH MUST BE OVERTAKEN AND REMOVED FROM THE TOP 20 SILVER AGE BOOKS IN THE OVERSTREET AND THEY SHOULD BRING BACK DETECTIVE 225 BACK IN THE MIX. 1ST MARTIAN MANHUNTER IS MORE IMPORTANT. ALSO AMAZING SPIDERMAN #2 DESERVES THE NOD.

YOU CAN'T HAVE BOTH SHOWCASE 9 AND ADV 247 BE CLOSE IN VALUE TO BRAVE AND BOLD 28. JUST DOESN'T COMPARE. EVERYBODY KNOWS JLA AND NOT MANY GIVE A HOOT ABOUT THESE 2 OTHER BUM BOOKS>

Show of hands please.

Happy 1,000th!

ON EBAY THERE HAVE BEEN A FEW ADV 247 WITH BUY IT NOW AND NEVER HAVE THEY BEEN SOLD OVER THE LAST YEAR. NO DEMAND WHATSOVER. STATISTICS PLEASE.

BOTH THESE BOOKS HAVE GUIDED FOR ALOT OVER THE YEARS BECAUSE THEY ARE OLD BUT NOT BECAUSE OF DEMAND OR SIGNIFICANCE. THEREFORE BOTH MUST BE OVERTAKEN AND REMOVED FROM THE TOP 20 SILVER AGE BOOKS IN THE OVERSTREET AND THEY SHOULD BRING BACK DETECTIVE 225 BACK IN THE MIX. 1ST MARTIAN MANHUNTER IS MORE IMPORTANT. ALSO AMAZING SPIDERMAN #2 DESERVES THE NOD.

YOU CAN'T HAVE BOTH SHOWCASE 9 AND ADV 247 BE CLOSE IN VALUE TO BRAVE AND BOLD 28. JUST DOESN'T COMPARE. EVERYBODY KNOWS JLA AND NOT MANY GIVE A HOOT ABOUT THESE 2 OTHER BUM BOOKS>

Adventure 247 and Showcase 9 are great books, but are stagnant. On the other hand, Brave and the Bold 28 is undervalue and has begun to appreciate in value

STOP RESPONDING TO SAGAT THE ATTENTION HOOR!

Responding actually legimitizes his rantings and encourages him. If he wants to engage in genuine and reasoned discussion, then that would be great (although probably impossible in his case).

But right now he`s like some 5-year old kid coming into the room and screaming "LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!!" and should be ignored accordingly.

Responding actually legimitizes his rantings and encourages him. If he wants to engage in genuine and reasoned discussion, then that would be great (although probably impossible in his case).

But right now he`s like some 5-year old kid coming into the room and screaming "LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT ME!!!" and should be ignored accordingly.

Most 5-year olds already know how to turn off the caps lock.

Show of hands please.

Happy 1,000th!

Most buy it now books are over priced. Adventure 247 always sells at respectable prices in no reserve auctions. In fact, it is a book that sells very well in lower grades.

Most 5-year olds already know how to turn off the caps lock.

Sagat apparently knows how to send threatening PMs to me. What a piece of work.

If they gave Lois Lane her own monthly comic, I am sure she would outsell Wonder Woman and if you go back and look at the sale figures between the 1950`s to 1970`s she did. It`s just a matter of time till the new management at DC figures out the sales potential and gives Lois a regular book again.

I could see big future potential with this character, what if Lois Lane ace reporter as a regular tv show on one of the networks? Lois has a big fanbase and some untapped potential to make some money in the future. ;)