• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHOWCASE 9 and ADVENTURE 247 are Useless Silver Age Books!

143 posts in this topic

Do you all agree that these 2 books are insignificant silver age books. Nobody cares about Lois Lane landing here own appearance in Showcase 9 and nobody collects Legion of Super Heroes anymore- making Adventure 247 useless.

These should be wiped off the top 20 silver age list ASAP. Ridiculous I don't know one collector who collects Lois Lane or Legion of Super Heroes.

Show of hands please.

As an interesting aside what would be in your top 20?

Show of hands please.

There are two in this thread..................

FWIW, I think it is a 2nd tier DC SA key now since the Legion has dropped in significance in the DCU. Maybe we will see the franchise revived in the future, but it is not as big a key as it used to be. That beings said, it is on my medium term want list.

The Legion from what I remember as a kid was like the New X-men are like today.

It's not much different than a GA character like the Sandman. You can say that he's not that popular today (Spectre, Sandman, Hourman, Torch and Toro, etc) but that doesn't mean the books are not significant in the context of the hobby.

Adventure #247 is certainly still a big book.

I know a little less about SC #9 but I do know that it was a tough book.

Do you all agree that these 2 books are insignificant silver age books. Nobody cares about Lois Lane landing here own appearance in Showcase 9 and nobody collects Legion of Super Heroes anymore- making Adventure 247 useless.

These should be wiped off the top 20 silver age list ASAP. Ridiculous I don't know one collector who collects Lois Lane or Legion of Super Heroes.

Show of hands please.

I think you should come out with your own price guide.

:roflmao:

Show of hands please.

As an interesting aside what would be in your top 20?

All Marvels.

Show of hands please.

FWIW, I think it is a 2nd tier DC SA key now since the Legion has dropped in significance in the DCU. Maybe we will see the franchise revived in the future, but it is not as big a key as it used to be. That beings said, it is on my medium term want list.

Make it three. Lois Lane....piffle, but I grew up on Legion. Love the continued story where they join up with the enemy to battle the nasty Space Cloud. I nominate Duo Damsel as hottest super hero ever (twins) and miss her dead third iteration.

Show of hands please.

I think you should come out with your own price guide.

:roflmao:

Show of hands please.

Make it three. Lois Lane....piffle, but I grew up on Legion. Love the continued story where they join up with the enemy to battle the nasty Space Cloud. I nominate Duo Damsel as hottest super hero ever (twins) and miss her dead third iteration.

Adding myself to the count here :hi:

Legion collector for years, with only a coverless #247 and a barely VG #300, but I got 'em and I love 'em! :cloud9:

Only missing a handful of Legion appearances from 1956 to this very day. Adventure #247 is a huge book for me and for many other collectors as well and considering the long (and pretty much continuous) publishing history of the Legionnaires, it should definitely be considered a major key. That's why it gets top dollar whenever it appears on the market (not that often).

I never collected Lois Lane with the same passion as the Legion, but it is a title I'm always interested in. Plenty of wonderful covers and some really nice (albeit naive, but in that warm, innocent DC way) silver age stories.

I may agree that Showcase #9 should probably not be called a "major" key, but that definitely doesn't mean that there are no people collecting the title or looking for this particular issue. (And no, I don't have one, but I'm sure the right copy at the right price will come my way at the right time :wishluck: )

yeah, nobody collects Legion:

The ONE I am missing is 247 :frustrated:

th_adv267.jpgth_adv282.jpgth_adv290.jpgth_adv293.jpgth_adv300.jpgth_adv301.jpg

th_adv302.jpgth_adv303.jpgth_adv304.jpgth_adv305.jpgth_adv306.jpgth_adv307.jpg

th_adv308.jpgth_adv309.jpgth_adv310.jpgth_adv311.jpgth_adv312.jpgth_adv313.jpg

th_adv314.jpgth_adv315.jpgth_adv316.jpgth_adv317.jpgth_adv318.jpgth_adv319.jpg

th_adv320.jpgth_adv321.jpgth_adv322.jpgth_adv323.jpgth_adv324.jpgth_adv325.jpg

th_adv326.jpgth_adv327.jpgth_adv328.jpgth_adv329.jpgth_adv330.jpgth_adv331.jpg

th_adv332.jpgth_adv333.jpgth_adv334.jpgth_adv335.jpgth_adv336.jpgth_adv337.jpg

th_adv338.jpgth_adv339.jpgth_adv340.jpgth_adv341.jpgth_adv342.jpgth_adv343.jpg

th_adv344.jpgth_adv345.jpgth_adv346.jpgth_adv347.jpgth_adv348.jpgth_adv349.jpg

th_adv350.jpgth_adv351.jpgth_adv352.jpgth_adv353.jpgth_adv354.jpgth_adv355.jpg

th_adv356.jpgth_adv357.jpgth_adv358.jpgth_adv359.jpgth_adv360.jpgth_adv361.jpg

th_adv362.jpgth_adv363.jpgth_adv364.jpgth_adv365.jpgth_adv366.jpgth_adv367.jpg

th_adv368.jpgth_adv369.jpgth_adv370.jpgth_adv371.jpgth_adv372.jpgth_adv373.jpg

th_adv374.jpgth_adv375.jpgth_adv376.jpgth_adv377.jpgth_adv378.jpgth_adv379.jpg

th_adv380.jpgth_adv403.jpg

I hate you.

Here's another hand up for the Legion.

I have been attempting to complete a Legion collection for quite a while now. It's a work in progress, and I have determined that 2010 is the year I focus and actually complete the bugger. I've had the 247 for ages (mid 90's, I think) but have had real trouble with some issues that should be easy. Anyway, here's a scan of the 247:

Adventure247585x822-1.jpg

As an aside, I will pick up nice Lois's when they present, but in the "sidekicks of DC" stakes, I prefer the nuttiness of Jimmy Olsen.

Never really cared for the Legion - and the first story is substandard even for an early DC SA book - but I'm old enough to remember when they had a cult following among comics fandom and I always liked that their early appearances were sporadic and spread ove a couple titles - a nice change from the Showcase/B&B to issue #1 trajectory of many SA DC characters.

Adv 247 is not as an important book as it once was but useless - no.

As for Lois Lane - for sublime goofiness the title is probably DC's most entertaining SA book - but I don't know how important her first "solo" tryout really is. It's status as an early SA try-out success is the only reason it's as valued as Jimmy Olsen #1.

bottom line is there are still many many collectors of legion and showcase....the majority don't slab them (due to the cost vs value ratio) and therefore. are less likely to be posting here, on the CGC boards... true, most are more in line with the "old" timers, but I had a run of SC and Legion, complete, so count me in as one who appreciated them then, and now (thumbs u

As an aside, I will pick up nice Lois's when they present, but in the "sidekicks of DC" stakes, I prefer the nuttiness of Jimmy Olsen.

Did someone mention Jimmy Olsen? :shy:

Did someone mention Jimmy Olsen? :shy:

Lois Lane was stretching it, but if you bring up Jimmy Olsen you're on your own brother. And this is coming from a DC guy.

Nobody collects the Legion. Anybody who does either must be dead or did too much drugs during the 70s.

I was born in 1972. I guess my mom could have done drugs while I was en utero.... hm

I collect the Legion, and have a near complete set from Action #267 to Legion Vol 4 (2003)

Does that count...?

Show of hands please.

Adding myself to the count here :hi:

Legion collector for years, with only a coverless #247 and a barely VG #300, but I got 'em and I love 'em! :cloud9:

Only missing a handful of Legion appearances from 1956 to this very day. Adventure #247 is a huge book for me and for many other collectors as well and considering the long (and pretty much continuous) publishing history of the Legionnaires, it should definitely be considered a major key. That's why it gets top dollar whenever it appears on the market (not that often).

I never collected Lois Lane with the same passion as the Legion, but it is a title I'm always interested in. Plenty of wonderful covers and some really nice (albeit naive, but in that warm, innocent DC way) silver age stories.

I may agree that Showcase #9 should probably not be called a "major" key, but that definitely doesn't mean that there are no people collecting the title or looking for this particular issue. (And no, I don't have one, but I'm sure the right copy at the right price will come my way at the right time :wishluck: )

Happy 1,000th!

I find a couple of things fascinating about the Legion of Superheroes...

1. It took 4 YEARS for the group to get its own "regular series."

2. It was so huge in the 1970's, it is the only comic entity with its initial appearances counted out to 18 in the OSPG

I find a couple of things fascinating about the Legion of Superheroes...

1. It took 4 YEARS for the group to get its own "regular series."

2. It was so huge in the 1970's, it is the only comic entity with its initial appearances counted out to 18 in the OSPG

Another reason why we need a new Price Guide!

:baiting: