• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers # 1 and # 4 Club
12 12

1,089 posts in this topic

As an aside for us newbie SA gatherers, was there something special about the Avengers #1 4.5 that went for $4000 on GPA in January?

It hasn't got a notation to indicate it was something 'special' but seems so left field, I had to mention it.

Any ideas?

AV1_zps65f2ae76.jpg

AV4_zpsdc5f0b7a.jpg

Would love to join. :shy:

Harlan. :applause: Welcome

Harlan Ellison's copy of Avengers 4 sure looks great for the grade Fantastic eye appeal for a low grade copy and nice PQ too. In fact the colors on his copy look every bit as sharp as many HG copies that I've seen! :cloud9:

Edited by Stevenrams

AV1_zps65f2ae76.jpg

AV4_zpsdc5f0b7a.jpg

Harlan Ellison's copy of Avengers 4 sure looks great for the grade Fantastic eye appeal for a low grade copy and nice PQ too. In fact the colors on his copy look every bit as sharp as many HG copies that I've seen! :cloud9:

+1

I was trying to figure that grade out cus that sure is a sweet looking 3.5! The bottom edge and corner are a little rough but nowhere near 3.5 rough ???

AV1_zps65f2ae76.jpg

AV4_zpsdc5f0b7a.jpg

+1

I was trying to figure that grade out cus that sure is a sweet looking 3.5! The bottom edge and corner are a little rough but nowhere near 3.5 rough ???

This is a tough one. I was certain this was a 5.0-5.5...

I'm guessing the book has already been pressed. The back is crisp, but there are two 1/8" tears and one 1/16" tear...both are hard to see because the book is so flat and tight. And the spine on the front has a bit of wear, but between the pressing and the white paper it's hard to see. The bottom looks worn, but I've seen far worse on 4.5s. Does all of this add up to a 3.5? (The AV#1 is a 3.5 as well, but the two books are like night and day).

This is one of the books I'll be busting open to look inside for staining. If it's clean, I'll resub and hope the CGC gods smile favorably on me that day.

I'm almost embarrassed to post my copy, after seeing so many in such amazing condition. Still, it's my pride and joy and probably the best condition I'm prepared to pay for. I'm guessing 1/1.5 at the most. Pages inside are all uncreased and intact, despite the beaten up cover.

Avengers.jpg

Edited by UmbertoBongo

I'm almost embarrassed to post my copy, after seeing so many in such amazing condition. Still, it's my pride and joy and probably the best condition I'm prepared to pay for. I'm guessing 1/1.5 at the most. Pages inside are all uncreased and intact, despite the beaten up cover.

Avengers.jpg

It's all good brother.Welcome to the boards. :applause:

Avengers.jpg

+1

ANY Avengers 1 is an AWESOME Avengers 1 :applause:

Avengers.jpg

+1

ANY Avengers 1 is an AWESOME Avengers 1 :applause:

+2 :applause:

Did anyone else notice the Avengers#4 cgc 9.6 on CLink last night?

I believe this Ohio pedigree copy took quite a hit ... they advertise it as having sold in 2011 for $91,500.00 but closed last night for under $30K ?!!?

Yikes !

Oh yeah! I would have LOVED to have gotten it but even at that "bargain" price, still outta my league :sorry:

I dont know who the seller was but putting it in a no reserve auction was NOT a wise move imo. Avengers 4 is as dead as dead can possibly get right now. Prices across the board have plummeted so there was no way in hell that was going to get a good price. Last week a 9.4 went for barely 10k. It wasnt that long ago that 9.2's were getting almost that price.

Also, there just arent many HG high dollar Avengers collectors left from what i can see. It seems like most of the Schmell books that I didnt buy all ended up at Metropolis. I would bet that you will see the Ohio Avengers 4 in their marketplace for 50k'ish REAL soon (thumbs u