• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PARATROOPER is in Afghanistan, let's show one of our own some love and SUPPORT !

171 posts in this topic

I know personally, I never feel like I do enough for the wonderful men and women stuck overseas.

Vaughn is really a special part of this forum.

So I promised that I would try and organize a care package drive when he left. I did get some information

from him and I have his address for whomever wants it. I'll be back and forth this weekend, so if I don't answer a PM immediately, I will get back to you.

In addition, so we don't all send 10 of the same TPBs and Movies, if you want to send me a list, I'll start a data base (or try;) that can be shared.

I can't burn TV programs anymore, since I switched to Verizon, but I'm hoping some other kind souls can:)

This is the message I got from Vaughn.

"Once I get situation in a more stable work environment I'll be able to get on more often and update you all. Right now I'm so busy I barely have enough time to sleep. We have a pretty stocked shop where we can purchase things, but still miss reading a tpb every now and again, and I have no tv or able to buy dvd's. I'm not asking for dvd's but if someone has the capability to burn movies on dvd's or current tv shows that'd be awesome. I have sooo many cool pictures, when I get time I'll be able to post a few if the internet connection allows (really slow).

Thanks for the support! And the movies and TV shows I will watch once then pass off to my soldiers, they have more free time off than I do! Baby wipes are nice....I'm always dirty I like any TPB, I read almost all vertigo stuff but haven't read any superhero books at all, maybe I'll start. "

If anyone doesn't have the time to buy stuff or mail a package, I'll be glad to shop for you and do the mailing. Just give me an idea of what you want to send, and I'll give you my paypal address.

Errr...that is, I'll shop for anything not x-rated;)

FWIW, trades are a much better route to go than individual issues since soldiers are always passing things around for others to use (and the tpbs tend to be more durable). I know I always enjoyed the reading material when I was on the other side of the sandbox.

And Sha, I'll take a look through my closet this weekend and see what I can put together. If someone can recommend a good program for Mac OSX where I can make "back ups" of my tv series DVDs, I will have a bunch made for Vaughn as well. I know that also really helped pass the time when we were overseas.

HOOAH!

Didn't Jim Wilkerson post not long ago of donating a bunch of TPBs to a library at his base and they sat there untouched? He seemed to feel todays soldiers had not interest in them, if I recall correctly?

I donated about two dozen TPBs to my local unit when they were deployed. Hopefully, people enjoyed them.

I don't know what a UFC is, but thanks, I'm SURE he will love themLOL...

Looks like you guys are doing your own data base on here;)

Perhaps if you just list the books/TV shows, so we don't send doubles and triples.

Vaughn ALWAYS asked for Baby wipes (but you don't have to list stuff like that)

Hard candy travels well.

I think I'll just PM anyone who posts on this thread, that they want to send something.

Cut out a step....and thanks, guys:)

A quick word of explanation in case there's confusion...

The baby wipes are a MONSTROUS help. The toilet paper provided will literally shred your bottom so the wipes really save your butt (no joke).

Also, for food products, don't send anything that could melt (i.e. chocolate products). These will make an absolute mess. I'm not as sure how the weather gets in Afghanistan but in Iraq/Kuwait, the temperatures are starting to heat back up into the triple digits this time of year.

And UFC is Ultimate Fighting Championship (Mixed Martial Arts) where big guys beat the tar out of one another--always a popular choice for soldiers!-) My guys loved this stuff when we got it.