• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay sellers -- Top Ten-----And----- Worst Ten Please vote now

115 posts in this topic

How about GM67 whose name is George Matos. Sold me a "7.0 or better" Amazing Spider-Man #1 on Ebay for $2,325 with all kinds of info as to why it qualified for that grade. Turned out to be a POS heavily restored APP 4.5 or so. Just about to send it off to CGC to get their grade as proof of fraud. Went back and forth for over a month with this scammer trying to get a refund which he refused. Currently involved in filing legal papers. If anyone else has ever dealt with this guy please let me know. mad.gif ------Sid

Some of the worst I have dealt with - someone already mentioned Jerry Brynes from Chicago - for god's sakes don't let your payment arrive in 11 days instead of the commanded 10! There was a guy from NY I bought FFs 22 and 17 from ungraded that were supposedly nm- which was my last raw comic book buying experience. But this latest nut I am dealing with takes the cake. Goes by Silversurpher on ebay and is named Frank Simmons. Some of the emails remind me of old Hammer himself - I have saved a few becuase I can't quote any here. I won a Cap 111 9.6 and paid by pp immediately and then he took about 2 weeks to ship. Thi nking he was ok I won another book and that is when the fun started. Avoid this nut at all costs - it is just not worth it!

What did Frank simmons do?

Timely

David:

I went through each of the books in detail this weekend, and it turns out that you're right about some of the grading from SNE. I had previously only checked the keys in the Spidey run (which had been graded accurately), but some of the books that were supposed to be 9.0/9.2 fell clearly into the VF to VF- range (and one with a huge spine roll crease that was probably a F+), and some of the 9.6/9.8 recent issues had multiple spine stress marks (color breaking) and were in the 8.5 to 9.0 range. But I called SNE, explained calmly and politely what I thought and asked for a 25% discount on my order. The guy I spoke to was very nice and agreed to give me the discount after I explained my issues. I would definitely buy from them again, although I'd be wary about paying full NM guide for a run of their books like I did this time.

Best 10 (in no particular order, having bought from each one over the past year on Ebay)

1. ComicGeek

2. Harley Yee

3. drummy

4. Comicmankev

5. Jerrybyrnes

6. Jason Ewert

7. ShowcaseNewEngland

8. Supapimp

9. reliant-5

10. Heritage

Worst 10

1. No one directly! Using this board has helped me to see the real bad seeds on Ebay, so I can't really add anyone. You guys have taught me to stay away from Comic-keys, shill feedback, and auctions with no scans - thanks! thumbsup2.gif

Showcase New England was a top ten but no more they are selling books graded a lot slacker.They package nice they put them in Mylars but now its a return policy and not a 1/4 guarantee of within what CGC will grade it.I know I have bought from before and there grades were pretty reasonable and always real tight but with this last batch graded 9.4/9.6 I would say the average is more like 8.5/9.0 there is to much wrong with the books and I havent even pulled them out of the Mylars to look at them I can see enough flaws that I dont need to look any farther.They are getting top dollar for there books because of there name in my opinion and not there grades as of now! They are off my favorite seller list and I am not even interested in buying from them anymore!

Davidking623

David:

I went through each of the books in detail this weekend, and it turns out that you're right about some of the grading from SNE. I had previously only checked the keys in the Spidey run (which had been graded accurately), but some of the books that were supposed to be 9.0/9.2 fell clearly into the VF to VF- range (and one with a huge spine roll crease that was probably a F+), and some of the 9.6/9.8 recent issues had multiple spine stress marks (color breaking) and were in the 8.5 to 9.0 range. But I called SNE, explained calmly and politely what I thought and asked for a 25% discount on my order. The guy I spoke to was very nice and agreed to give me the discount after I explained my issues. I would definitely buy from them again, although I'd be wary about paying full NM guide for a run of their books like I did this time.

Best 10 (in no particular order, having bought from each one over the past year on Ebay)

1. ComicGeek

2. Harley Yee

3. drummy

4. Comicmankev

5. Jerrybyrnes

6. Jason Ewert

7. ShowcaseNewEngland

8. Supapimp

9. reliant-5

10. Heritage

Worst 10

1. No one directly! Using this board has helped me to see the real bad seeds on Ebay, so I can't really add anyone. You guys have taught me to stay away from Comic-keys, shill feedback, and auctions with no scans - thanks! thumbsup2.gif

Showcase New England was a top ten but no more they are selling books graded a lot slacker.They package nice they put them in Mylars but now its a return policy and not a 1/4 guarantee of within what CGC will grade it.I know I have bought from before and there grades were pretty reasonable and always real tight but with this last batch graded 9.4/9.6 I would say the average is more like 8.5/9.0 there is to much wrong with the books and I havent even pulled them out of the Mylars to look at them I can see enough flaws that I dont need to look any farther.They are getting top dollar for there books because of there name in my opinion and not there grades as of now! They are off my favorite seller list and I am not even interested in buying from them anymore!

Davidking623

Thanks for your input I wasnt so lucky on my key issue which out of the books is Spidey 194 it has some great big color breaking spine stresses and is no more than a fine + there is actually a couple books that might acheive 9.4 but with out pulling everything out of the Mylars its really not worth it to look.I mean I know Dan knows how to grade Ive seen it at work but this is a down right lie as being 9.4/9.6 He is know using his name and not his grading abilities and this is why I will never buy from them again.I could understand if it was on a few books, hay your eyes get tired but what the hell was he smoking grading these books 9.4/9.6 Its just so uncalled for! To be honost with you I would keep them for a hundred dollars but no way for 305.00

Davidking623

All I can say is, thanks for outbidding me on that lot! If you look, you'll see that I was the second highest bidder. Glad I didn't win! thumbsup2.gif

In all seriousness though, taking the discount into account, I am happy with the books I won. There are a few issues I'll need to upgrade, but most of the 186 issues that I bought are at least NM-, and all I am going for is a nice, complete run of ASM. Having seen the awesome Amazing Spider-Man collections that are in the CGC registry, I have no illusions of ever owning the nicest run of Amazing Spider-Man in the world. Can you imagine what I'd have to pay TB for his CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man #1? Or what I'd have to pay for the CGC 9.6 Amazing Fantasy #15? I don't think I'll ever have enough slack cash to put together a run like that, so I'll have to be happy with VF 8.0 or better copies of the silver stuff, and 9.0 or better copies of the bronze issues.

David:

1. ComicGeek

2. Harley Yee

3. drummy

4. Comicmankev

5. Jerrybyrnes

6. Jason Ewert

7. ShowcaseNewEngland

8. Supapimp

9. reliant-5

10. Heritage

Worst 10

Davidking623

Thanks for your input I wasnt so lucky on my key issue which out of the books is Spidey 194 it has some great big color breaking spine stresses and is no more than a fine + there is actually a couple books that might acheive 9.4 but with out pulling everything out of the Mylars its really not worth it to look.I mean I know Dan knows how to grade Ive seen it at work but this is a down right lie as being 9.4/9.6 He is know using his name and not his grading abilities and this is why I will never buy from them again.I could understand if it was on a few books, hay your eyes get tired but what the hell was he smoking grading these books 9.4/9.6 Its just so uncalled for! To be honost with you I would keep them for a hundred dollars but no way for 305.00

Davidking623

Im glad you didnt win this lot either no man should have had to land a lower end high grade for NM ! Showcase will be getting these back. Im glad you are happy with what you have, I wish I could do the same all I can do is make money on this stuff and not really hardly consider it to keep!

Davidking623

How about GM67 whose name is George Matos. Sold me a "7.0 or better" Amazing Spider-Man #1 on Ebay for $2,325 with all kinds of info as to why it qualified for that grade. Turned out to be a POS heavily restored APP 4.5 or so. Just about to send it off to CGC to get their grade as proof of fraud. Went back and forth for over a month with this scammer trying to get a refund which he refused. Currently involved in filing legal papers. If anyone else has ever dealt with this guy please let me know. mad.gif ------Sid

man!!!.... now this is why i wont make the jump to buying on ebay/online

atleast it seems buying on this forum you get alittle piece of mind...

good luck getting your refund dude

1. ComicGeek

2. Harley Yee

3. drummy

4. Comicmankev

5. Jerrybyrnes

6. Jason Ewert

7. ShowcaseNewEngland

8. Supapimp

9. reliant-5

10. Heritage

doh!

Oh, for the innocence of youth. We have two congenital pressers/non-disclosers, one shill machine, one fraudster par excellance, and the worst 'name' retail outfit on the planet.

And besides all that...who the would call themselves 'supapimp'??? :insane:

man!!!.... now this is why i wont make the jump to buying on ebay/online

atleast it seems buying on this forum you get alittle piece of mind...

good luck getting your refund dude

Yeah. (thumbs u

Especially five-and-a-half years after the transaction. :baiting:

1. ComicGeek

2. Harley Yee

3. drummy

4. Comicmankev

5. Jerrybyrnes

6. Jason Ewert

7. ShowcaseNewEngland

8. Supapimp

9. reliant-5

10. Heritage

doh!

Oh, for the innocence of youth. We have two congenital pressers/non-disclosers, one shill machine, one fraudster par excellance, and the worst 'name' retail outfit on the planet.

Besides, I don't see Gwentleaf on that list, so it can't be valid. :whistle:

I used to be big fans of Comgeek and Ejaenter, and I'd still deal with Steve L anytime. Did he do something I'm not aware of? (shrug)

I agree with Gw Flaming Telepath that list looks like 2/3 beware of these guys list..not best list at all.. SNE?seriously..Ewert? I am shocked Comickeys didn't make the top ten on that list

1. ComicGeek

2. Harley Yee

3. drummy

4. Comicmankev

5. Jerrybyrnes

6. Jason Ewert

7. ShowcaseNewEngland

8. Supapimp

9. reliant-5

10. Heritage

doh!

Besides, I don't see Gwentleaf on that list, so it can't be valid. :whistle:

I used to be big fans of Comgeek and Ejaenter, and I'd still deal with Steve L anytime. Did he do something I'm not aware of? (shrug)

:foryou:

And Steve L is one of the 'pressers/non-disclosers'. (thumbs u

I agree with Gw Flaming Telepath that list looks like 2/3 beware of these guys list..not best list at all.. SNE?seriously..Ewert? I am shocked Comickeys didn't make the top ten on that list

that was the best 10 list not worst 10. :gossip:

I'm not about to let anyone know my top 10 - competition on eBay is tough enough as it is. :P

that was the best 10 list not worst 10. :gossip:

She was being sarcastic. :baiting:

No particular order...

Top 10:

Bob Storms

Bronzebruce13

Darthdiesel (Carl)

Drbanner (Mike Pring)

Greggy

Highend_collectibles

Mrodel

Musicmeta (Michael Gray)

Savagetales (Steve)

tkg2627 (Vincent Wong)

Worst Ten:

123seller_collector (Known to sell hacked books; previously knowned as muaddib)

cgc*comics (severe overgrader)

comic-keys (duh?)

cuteypie82 (Selling ID of Muaddib)

GCCBCO (Overgrader and shipping profiteer)

Harley Yee (Recently added for overgrading and not refunding money after 3 months)

Jerrybyrnes (overgrader that has an ego problem and very hard to work with)

Neatstuff (overgraders and worst customer service)

ShowcaseNewEngland (If Cindy is not answering the emails there is no such thing as customer service if something goes wrong)...

Well, Well, Rickdogg,

I haven't heard from you in a long time. I hope all is well and you're doing fine.

Thanks for the compliment, I always try to improve.

You're great to deal with as well!

Take Care,

Michael