• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay sellers -- Top Ten-----And----- Worst Ten Please vote now

115 posts in this topic

I've had no trouble with Wes Hagen. I have only bought graded books, though, so I can't address his grading. Books are sent on time and the S+H isn't usurious.

You still haven't heard from him. That post dates from Feb 2004.

I miss Rickdogg, and his quest for the ultimate CGC certified Marvel team-up books.

Well in fact, his asians babes pictures miss me more.

Frank Simmons. Ah. It appears to me that I am not the only one. I purchased something from him on Ebay. Now he does not want to deliver because Google Earth tells him that my US delivery address does not exist. I have sent him information so that he could check at the USPS website that deliveries had been made to the non existing address. But he doesn't budge. I have no right to receive the book, because I am not an Ebay member (sic) and because I have given Ebay a false address.

I wish I had read this page earlier today. It would have saved me a lot of time thinking that I was communicating with a reasonable human being.

I would add Sparkle City Comics as one of the best; however I've only bought slabbed books from them. Also, they always auction their books and don't charge for shipping. They also feature some hard-to-find books. I won a Superboy 11 from them (first cover appearance of Lana Lang) and an Action Comics 206 which IMHO has one of the best covers of the 1950s.

SLR

I also purchased from ShowcaseNewEngland a few months ago. I bought a slabbed New X-men 44 9.8 (2nd Print), and then they told me it was out of stock =(

But they did refund my money fast with no hassle.

When it comes to slabs, I have never had a problem with any of the dealers that have mentioned. I have never had a problem with ShowcaseNewEngland, NeatStuff or anyone else. Before I used to pay attention to the boards I had also dealt with RoboJoe when it comes to slabs. Everything is fine.

When dealing with raw copies I understand that certain houses use the old methods of grading. Metropolis sometimes over grades a slight bit but I do not feel as if that is an intentional misrepresentation. There grading is consistent with the Overstreet grading that was a standard before CGC.

Some of the others that have been mentioned I will not do business with based upon what they do with raw restored books.

When it comes to slabs, I have never had a problem with any of the dealers that have mentioned. I have never had a problem with ShowcaseNewEngland, NeatStuff or anyone else. Before I used to pay attention to the boards I had also dealt with RoboJoe when it comes to slabs. Everything is fine.

When dealing with raw copies I understand that certain houses use the old methods of grading. Metropolis sometimes over grades a slight bit but I do not feel as if that is an intentional misrepresentation. There grading is consistent with the Overstreet grading that was a standard before CGC.

Some of the others that have been mentioned I will not do business with based upon what they do with raw restored books.

Strange, this, as in my opinion, to-the-letter adherence to Overstreet standards gets you stricter grades than CGC.

To add a few names I haven't noticed yet...

I've had nothing but good experiences with:

Zillaf4

O'Leary's Books (Australian seller)

diamondintgal (not sure if they are still active)

jscomics

Other folk have had problems in the past with jj4802002 (Josh's Comics) but I bought a couple of books before I knew that and they were excellent. I've even had Josh tell me not to buy a book because it didn't meet my eye appeal criteria due to things that weren't obvious in the scan.

I bought quite a few ECs from UK based gaines6, again with uniformly pleasing results.

:bump:

Any chance we can get some input on current top ten lists now 2-5 years later? Perhaps specify; top ten list for slabs or top ten lists for raw…..

There are many sellers now who will let you combine unlimited raws for no additional shipping cost. Other factors would obviously be accuracy in grading and price.

Many thanks.

Best 10 (in no particular order, having bought from each one over the past year on Ebay)

1. ComicGeek

2. Harley Yee

3. drummy

4. Comicmankev

5. Jerrybyrnes

6. Jason Ewert

7. ShowcaseNewEngland

8. Supapimp

9. reliant-5

10. Heritage

Worst 10

1. No one directly! Using this board has helped me to see the real bad seeds on Ebay, so I can't really add anyone. You guys have taught me to stay away from Comic-keys, shill feedback, and auctions with no scans - thanks! thumbsup2.gif

I thought Harley Yee is one of the worst eBay sellers. He N-E-V-E-R relies to any e-mails. He overgrades M-A-N-Y books! He stopped attending any comic conventions in last two years and he has sent his assistants to do the shows. He has not submitted any books to CGC for few years. That is a big telltale of his declining sales.

I thought Harley Yee is one of the worst eBay sellers. He N-E-V-E-R relies to any e-mails. He overgrades M-A-N-Y books! He stopped attending any comic conventions in last two years and he has sent his assistants to do the shows. He has not submitted any books to CGC for few years. That is a big telltale of his declining sales.

There was a picture of him at the Calgary Expo 2014 in Artboy99's thread. I don't know where you're getting your info from.

Well, just bought four ASM slabs from Sparkle City Comics last night so we'll see how they do - probably will be just fine. The main reason I bought them is from the posts on this thread. So thanks!

As far as Harley Yee is concerned, all I can do is go by my experiences. I used to setup at Heroes-Con in Charlotte and he would buy books from me from time to time and paid pretty darn good money. I never bought anything from him as his prices were high and I don't think he knew me well enough to negotiate. BTW, he is always there at Heroes-Con - I think he looks at it more as a buying trip than a selling trip although he always has a least two 10' x 10' booths there.

Speaking of Heroes-Con - can hardly wait. Best pure comics show around - SO glad I am on the other side of the booth rather than setting up there.