• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which will be the best long term investment: Tecs or Actions?

283 posts in this topic

Then why not let the open market, with no reserve, dictate its true value. I believe there should be a premium on the Court Copy, but how much, we won't know with this reserve auction. Is it worth 50% more than its counterpart in the same grade?

The open market can only dictate its value among the bidders who happen to show up for Heritage that day. Seeing how many things get sold via heritage and then resold later, it's clear that an item's value isn't always the same thing as what it sells for on a given day. It's one thing to throw something to the winds when you've got a warehouse full of items exactly or almost exactly just like it. It's another to take that chance when it's one of a kind. So I can't fault the consigner too much

Oh darn, I forgot today was the day I was going to bid $500,000 on a comic book, don't think that is to likely to happen :baiting: More likely the guy is trying to get a very aggressive price due to the recent sales and if not is happy to hold on to the book.

Bruce

Bruce

I get whatcher saying but you're talking about a guy such as yourself who collects comics regularly and would be aware of any book coming up. But when you're talking about the biggest books many buyers aren't following auctions. And when something is really unique, there's all the more chance that buyers are out there who don't even realize yet how much they might want something.

If that sort of thing wasn't going on you wouldn't have dealers bidding at every public auction.

That said, I would love to be able to buy that book and have no one competing against me but hardcore hobbyists who despise anything with a purple label. Same with the Kirby Captain America books. But I am guessing both items will go for more than you or I would pay -- and yet still less than someone else would've paid.

Then why not let the open market, with no reserve, dictate its true value. I believe there should be a premium on the Court Copy, but how much, we won't know with this reserve auction. Is it worth 50% more than its counterpart in the same grade?

The open market can only dictate its value among the bidders who happen to show up for Heritage that day. Seeing how many things get sold via heritage and then resold later, it's clear that an item's value isn't always the same thing as what it sells for on a given day. It's one thing to throw something to the winds when you've got a warehouse full of items exactly or almost exactly just like it. It's another to take that chance when it's one of a kind. So I can't fault the consigner too much

Oh darn, I forgot today was the day I was going to bid $500,000 on a comic book, don't think that is to likely to happen :baiting: More likely the guy is trying to get a very aggressive price due to the recent sales and if not is happy to hold on to the book.

Bruce

Bruce

I get whatcher saying but you're talking about a guy such as yourself who collects comics regularly and would be aware of any book coming up. But when you're talking about the biggest books many buyers aren't following auctions. And when something is really unique, there's all the more chance that buyers are out there who don't even realize yet how much they might want something.

If that sort of thing wasn't going on you wouldn't have dealers bidding at every public auction.

That said, I would love to be able to buy that book and have no one competing against me but hardcore hobbyists who despise anything with a purple label. Same with the Kirby Captain America books. But I am guessing both items will go for more than you or I would pay -- and yet still less than someone else would've paid.

I also get what your saying, especially for guys outside of comics buying books. But with Action #1's being sold every month, or even twice a month lately maybe its a good idea to have a reserve :D

Bruce

Reserves are a tough call.

On one hand a reserve generally deters bidders from being as free as they'd like to be...I think most people will generally believe that bidding against another bidder is easier to do than bidding against a hidden reserve.

On the other hand a reserve can protect an investment if something doesn't go as well as it should (remember the night when the entire North East of North America blacked out? I do, I had eBay auctions ending that night!). The problem with a reserve is that if a book does not sell, it can over expose the book and cause people to lose interest in the book.

Every book and every circumstance is different.

No reserve means it WILL sell.

Reserve means it will sell only at the right price.

Perhaps this book should be viewed as some kind of a special 'con amore'-copy specially made for the 'former-comic-geek-now-lawyer' type? Perhaps I am wrong - but I cant stop thinking if one has to have to have a crush on the technical law-historicalities surrounding this lawsuit to get you beyond the FC-stamps? Technically they are a kind of 'noise' on the cover ... a kind of, - (shrug)

But on the other hand - they tell a story of events that has long ago disappeared behind us. Thats fascinating indeed Historical copy - one of a kind (thumbs u

Worth 150K? ... jeesh I dont know (shrug)

But as a seller: it makes sense to protect the investment.

As a buyer: no reserve always drags you into the 'wow-I-might-get-this-for-a-song' mood lol It cheers up the biddin' ...

Reserves are a tough call.

On one hand a reserve generally deters bidders from being as free as they'd like to be...I think most people will generally believe that bidding against another bidder is easier to do than bidding against a hidden reserve.

On the other hand a reserve can protect an investment if something doesn't go as well as it should (remember the night when the entire North East of North America blacked out? I do, I had eBay auctions ending that night!). The problem with a reserve is that if a book does not sell, it can over expose the book and cause people to lose interest in the book.

Every book and every circumstance is different.

No reserve means it WILL might actually be sold to a real buyer sell.

Reserve means it will sell only at the right price.

minor correction

how the heck did you have 18k at 23 yrs old in 1990 for an action 1! Mind you I was 15 then so I was happy with Cap 100s and the like :/ Paper route money only went so far.
I didn't...I had a year long payment plan (like 1800 a month, if I recall) (thumbs u

In 1990, I bought a ASM 1 5.5 for $1100 and that was my biggest comic purchase ever and it drained me back then. I was a paper boy also. I wonder how many boardies were paper boy as a teenager. hm

:hi:

Ahhh...learning the value of money and running a self business. I still remember sending Christmas cards at the end of the year for the extra bonus comic money.

remember the ads in the 70s-80s comics where you would buy a bunch of junk to sell to friends family and neighbors to earn prizes and make money? I actually tried that for a while. I think my mom dad and maybe one neighbor actually bought something. funny memories! what little money i made went into buying more comics and baseball cards.

Another member of the ex paper boy brigade here. I've got a buddy who collects and STILL has a paper route plus a job....350 papers a day....now that's a jag. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I will be sitting on the sidelines watching with collateral interest....jb

Nice! :headbang:

Awesome!

I believe that belonged to Bluechip a short time ago, great pick up!

don't think bluechip had the court copy of action 7 recently, Jon has had that for years and years!

Awesome!

don't think bluechip had the court copy of action 7 recently, Jon has had that for years and years!

Your right my mistake. I was thinking of this. And I just saw it is a different lawsuit copy of action 7.

Link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220562912861&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I believe Jon's copy was actually recorded evidence in the lawsuit and bob's copy was used by seigel in dc defense (panels as examples) but was never entered into evidence in the case (though, I could be wrong? bob would have to clarify for us)

Awesome!

Your right my mistake. I was thinking of this. And I just saw it is a different lawsuit copy of action 7.

Link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220562912861&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

this is a perfect example of why not to purchase expensive raw comics.

Awesome!

Regarding the Action 7 bluechip copy... think it has been offered on Ebay for $50K before and now it's nearly $80k. I sense anytime now a 7,10,13 will come out of the wood works. There has been many more 1's offered, would 7,10,13 be more difficult to locate hm

Awesome!

Regarding the Action 7 bluechip copy... think it has been offered on Ebay for $50K before and now it's nearly $80k. I sense anytime now a 7,10,13 will come out of the wood works. There has been many more 1's offered, would 7,10,13 be more difficult to locate hm

It does sure seem that way recently! I would love to see an Action 7,10,13 pop up!

Awesome!

It does sure seem that way recently! I would love to see an Action 7,10,13 pop up!

It's great you've scored a complete Action 12 and I thought maybe you would have to settle with just the page and that great that 15 was a great pick-up. (thumbs u