• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,254 posts in this topic

I've gone so far as to watch a few of his movies on the internet. I find it a bit...quirky, odd...something like that, that his comics came out after he was long dead. To be that legendary in Hollywood after his death, yet to be almost totally forgotten today. In the long view of comic and TV history, I think the rise and fall of the western in the brief window between WWII and the Cold War is a fascinating window on culture change going on in middle America.

A favorite Saturday pastime for me was watching old westerns on TV when I was a young lad. Fond memories indeed.

My dad was a huge John Wayne fan, so we watched every film of his at least twice

I also enjoyed Gene Autry

I've gone so far as to watch a few of his movies on the internet. I find it a bit...quirky, odd...something like that, that his comics came out after he was long dead. To be that legendary in Hollywood after his death, yet to be almost totally forgotten today. In the long view of comic and TV history, I think the rise and fall of the western in the brief window between WWII and the Cold War is a fascinating window on culture change going on in middle America.

A favorite Saturday pastime for me was watching old westerns on TV when I was a young lad. Fond memories indeed.

My dad was a huge John Wayne fan, so we watched every film of his at least twice

I also enjoyed Gene Autry

I always like watching those looking at the contrasts between film and reality. Kind of a by-product of the work I do with history and archaeology.

TomMix49_zpsd83fd5eb.jpg

Love the "mix"ed media on this one :applause:

I agree. The bright reds on it are really intense,too, and the cover doesn't have the yellow tinge of most Crowleys. It seems to be a fad today to amp up the reds on covers to make the supernaturally bright. I try really hard to make sure my scans actually match the book's colors. I was really please when I took this one out of the package.

One of the things I like about the Tom Mix photo covers is that they are painted, just like photos you could get of your family in the 1950s and early 60s. I remember my parents having on of me as a toddler that had been painted. Some of these covers remind me very strongly of that picture. Kinda goofy when you think about it,, but it is a connection nonetheless.

A couple of Straight Arrows -

StraightArrow34_zps48b4ab79.jpg

StraightArrow49_zpsd4097a2d.jpg

I like those Straight Arrow comics. I'm still looking for a cup if any one has one. I think it was for Ovaltine but could have been Quaker oats.

5562013802_81a94b15be_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun