• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major transaction let-down. Need advice!
3 3

1,251 posts in this topic

Right, brought myself up to date and all I can say is...

The ???

From the seller's post, I can't be certain whether he was implying that the death effected this deal or just his ability to post. (shrug) Hopefully he meant the latter, as for all the sympathy I have for anybody who has lost somebody close...and this applies to Yannis...there is no good reason why it should impact on him selling the book to Bat-Man rather than Matt.

I could see the book not being sold at all, due to lack of time to consumate the deal, but to force a sale to a boarder other than the one who had already paid a $500 deposit?

Nah. Anyone who pays a $500 deposit to a total stranger is good for the rest of the money. This is simply a case of the good ole boy club. Matt's not a member, so got shafted royally. In accepting the payment, the deal was sealed and the seller should be utterly ashamed of himself for pulling the book so that his little chum could have it instead.

I'm sure that Yannis won't have any trouble continuing to sell around here...cool books are always worth more than ethics and integrity to many buyers meh ...but to anyone with a sense of fair play, please stear well clear.

Wow, i'm just hearing of this. I think John needs to clarify exactly what happened and why. I can only imagine that it was a money issue (greed). (shrug)

No. It's not a greed issue. Bat-man showed me a snapshot of the paypal transaction. He really did pay $1,500 plus fees...less than what mt1000 said he would have paid -- $1,600.

Why didn't Bat-Man post this himself?

Good question. I guess Bat-man will have to answer that himself.

Were's the snap shot?

[quote name=rockman2008A deal is a deal 2c [/quote]This goes back to why he sold to bat-man over mt1000. The former paid all in one shot compared to Matt who was planning on dividing time payments into who knows how long (? it's still unclear the time line agreed between mt1000 and yannis).

According to Dan, they were actually going to drive over there, pick the book up in person and finalize the deal on Saturday.

DRX

Which would you prefer? Payment by electronic means that's guaranteed all at once.

Or would you rather wait for some stranger who may or may not show up with his friend at your door step after a four-hour drive? And if they do show up, wouldn't you be concerned about the possibility of being beaten up and robbed? The logistics for setting this up is a pain compared to the ease of a quick electronic payment. No?

If a boardie wanted to drive over and pick a book up, I would have no problem with it. But thats just me. My opinion. If it was someone from Craig List or the Paper, maybe no. As far as getting beaten and robbed, that wouldnt happen here in a hundred years.

DRX

Edited by DRX

[quote name=rockman2008A deal is a deal 2c [/quote]This goes back to why he sold to bat-man over mt1000. The former paid all in one shot compared to Matt who was planning on dividing time payments into who knows how long (? it's still unclear the time line agreed between mt1000 and yannis).

According to Dan, they were actually going to drive over there, pick the book up in person and finalize the deal on Saturday.

DRX

Which would you prefer? Payment by electronic means that's guaranteed all at once.

Or would you rather wait for some stranger who may or may not show up with his friend at your door step after a four-hour drive? And if they do show up, wouldn't you be concerned about the possibility of being beaten up and robbed? The logistics for setting this up is a pain compared to the ease of a quick electronic payment. No?

Good god man, you are defending his actions?

And why are you so quick to conclude the obvious?? I think there's a lot of scenarios that can occur. I'm playing devil's advocate. It doesn't make sense why someone would accept less money unless there was a reason.

DRX

And why are you so quick to conclude the obvious?? I think there's a lot of scenarios that can occur. I'm playing devil's advocate. It doesn't make sense why someone would accept less money unless there was a reason.

Right, he wanted to hook his friend up.

You're essentially doing the same thing here.

DRX

You're right, It could've been the first of two payments sent or payment plus a trade deal also.

DRX

Right, he wanted to hook his friend up.

You're essentially doing the same thing here.

(thumbs u Yannis is wrong and I'm willing to bet bat-man is wrong also

Edited by 8milemax

The idea less money was taken should be disregarded unless some sort of proof is offered, no? (shrug)

And I don't believe a snapshot of a single paypal transaction covers the extent of the proof needed.

The idea less money was taken should be disregarded unless some sort of proof is offered, no? (shrug)

Exactly, we can speculate different scenarios till the cows come home. Until we here from the other parties and have some proof, nothing's going to get solved.

DRX

i'm not sure I like how some of these comments are coming about.

which ones?

some I'm reading about how yannis may have thought that my boyfriend and Matt would go there to beat him up just stuff like that doesn't sit right with me. I know Matt very well and he would never, NEVER do anything of the sort

Exactly, we can speculate different scenarios till the cows come home. Until we here from the other parties and have some proof, nothing's going to get solved.

DRX

I have a feeling that we will never hear the other parties "story"

What I don't understand is that both Yannis and Bat-man have had the time to PM board members but have not had the common courtesy to post in the thread with their side of the story.

While I would not hold Bat-man to blame for any of this, his silence on this matter speaks volumes.

The idea "less money" is an issue is because it sets up the back drop there were extenuating circumstances for accepting less money; i.e., the seller was under pressure to accept less money.

I've spoken enough, and I'm not even directly involved. (shrug) I hope yannis and maybe bat-man can join in and provide some insight.

What I don't understand is that both Yannis and Bat-man have had the time to PM board members but have not had the common courtesy to post in the thread with their side of the story.

While I would not hold Bat-man to blame for any of this, his silence on this matter speaks volumes.

I agree 100%

i'm not sure I like how some of these comments are coming about.

which ones?

some I'm reading about how yannis may have thought that my boyfriend and Matt would go there to beat him up just stuff like that doesn't sit right with me. I know Matt very well and he would never, NEVER do anything of the sort

I'm not accusing Matt of being a thug. lol I don't know Matt and he's probably one of the nicest persons on this forum. :foryou: What I'm posing is a hypothetical in how some folks think before they meet with strangers to pass an expensive transaction in person.

I agree 100%

I understand the silence completely. First, there's enough gray here where nobody will really ever know the whole story (except those involved and those PM'd) -- and at the end of the day, this will blow over and everyone will forget. Second, if there's no plausible explanation, and it will end up just being picked apart, what's the point of coming on here and offering an explanation? How does it help them? It doesn't.

At the end of the day, the smart move is to stay silent publicly. The reality is, few people will care or fail to do business either party -- so in the end, while there were hundreds of views, if the parties stay silent, eventually, this really has no where to go.

DRX

This is the biggest load of BS ever. Matt got screwed plain and simple. If he was that concerned he could have insisted on a paypal payment first and met for then met for the pick-up.

I feel bad that Yannis is dealing with his personal situation but he didn't even give Matt the courtesy/opportunity to pay up first.

:mad: this whole thing just reeks of bad business. Probation list or not, you can scratch one buyer off my list of people who I'll deal with.