• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics & Life

212 posts in this topic

Dear NearMint

Oh, I tried every way under the sun to approach this and have it resolved "behind closed doors"

They stonewalled me,

They stone walled Jean Bails

I spent most of the last part of 2007, then all of 2008, then the first ten months of 2009, trying to get the pain of my bone on bone hip joints repaired and healed.

Mission Accomplished Oct 20 2010

I thank every one who helped get me there

Those who did not lift a finger, well, life moves on, doesn't it?

NOD?

My recent encounters discussing this with some "big boy" dealer types informed me I should just forgitaboutit

I can not

I know the book was attached at both ends

So do some other advanced collectors who came thru my warehouse where we had a little All Star party grading the books, inspecting them, others who know All Star 8 was attached.

See, there is no dispute there is a dab of glue at the bottom of the bottom staple

Problem is, when the book was opened up too forcefully by some bored CGC employee, who also managed to get a big hunk of tape on the #7, the inside of the paper of the cover was left on the top of the glue

In this nuanced world of "restoration" being a "purple kiss of death," the inside cover paper being no longer where it is supposed to be becomes key

This copy will now forever after have that as part of its condition notes

First thing I did after Steve Borock handed me the box is encounter Matt Nelson, whom just happened to be passing by in the main row I was at right when you enter the B-1 Door into the Gold Silver Pavilion

"Yo, Matt, you take glue off books, don't you? If so, I have some work for you...."

Twas Matt who popped the slab on the #8, carefully opening it up, and the very first thing he and I both saw was the huge hole there at the lower staple.

Some one had opened it far enough that enough paper came off the inside to let one see all kinds of sunlight when one has the book open, looking at the spine area

CGC did this

The rest is semantics and BS

best

Mister Robert Beerbohm

http://www.BLBcomics.com

Moderator: www.yahoogroups.com/subscribe/PlatinumAgeComics

What do you listers here think of this?

best

Robert Beerbohm

I think you are just a little bit crazy.

But that's just me.

I don't think he's crazy for trying to help Bails' widow. I think it's admirable. Bails did an immense amount of important early comic book research.

I have many aspects of my life in comics under the microscope before, does not bother me in the slightest what others think of me.

I know my mission to be true and just.

onor is what this is about now, the money is secondary now.

Maybe how I feel comes from reading virtually every Superman story in Action, Supes, WFm etc over the decades. Saw every Superman Fleischer cartoon, read most of the newspaper strips thru friends who own near complete runs of such, dozens of hours of the Superjman radio show

Heck, twas me who saved the "first" Superman cover from oblivion. Check that concept out in the description in my eBay store for The Suoerman #1 print I offer the few copies I have remaining for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPERMAN-1-1933-SIEGEL-AND-SHUSTER-COVER-PRINT-/230467206649?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a8ea7df9

What is Superman all about?

I don't know, Bob. I keep looking at this before scan, examining the width of the top staple and looking for a similar staple at the bottom, and I just don't see one.

AllStar008WEB.jpg

What do you listers here think of this?

best

Robert Beerbohm

http://www.blbcomics.com

Bob, I think it's unfortunate you have to take this public. I hope you maintain your cool and act dispassionately to resolve the problem.

I suggest you move step by step, documenting each step, to resolve the problem. Perhaps one of the legal eagles on the board can help you get a good resolution.

Did you keep scans of the comics before they were submitted?

Yup, have every scan in my larger iMac. Just got done paying others to move my warehouse into a 4000 square foot space, enough to now sort thru my life's research into this wonderful field of beautiful art

and, yes, i agree with every one who has said tis unfortunate i be going "public" with this scenario. As previously mentioned, I made many overtures behind the scenes

Even tried communicating with a few of CGC's stock holders, the ones who "own" this company. Either was stone walled like the actual CGC employee persons were doing, or was told they had no influence as mere stock holders

This is going to be coming at CGC for eternity, as, like mentioned above, I have waaay too many Superman stories floating in my impressionable mind

Is the bottom staple even visible in this scan? I'm not sure. Just asking...

AllStar008WEB.jpg

Yes, it is clearly there along the cover art line

And shortly I will have "after" pics to show you. I have to have a second person here, who will be here tomorrow, to hold the #8 open so the rest of the world can see the "daylight" hole now easily and clearly visible, once the slab was cracked open by Mattt Nelson

When he opened it up, that was the ONLY thing I saw that day

The hole they made in the bottom staple area

CGC: Do the right thing

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPERMAN-1-1933-SIEGEL-AND-SHUSTER-COVER-PRINT-/230467206649?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a8ea7df9

Yup, and so are you and every one else who thinks some old funny book be worth a million smackers has longevity legs. Mister Meyer can inform us what happens when the bubble bursts. Not If, But When

Bob...do you believe, although :signofftopic: from the situation with the handling of the All Star Comics, that the recent 2 sales of $1 Million+ comics ( Action 1 and Tec 27 ) is an unsustainable pricing level, that will one day be reversed? ( i.e. -- at some point in the future, if these 2 books were to be resold, they would / could / should / will both sell for less then what was just paid for them? )

Is the bottom staple even visible in this scan? I'm not sure. Just asking...

AllStar008WEB.jpg

Yes, it is clearly there along the cover art line

I see what you're talking about, but I think it IS the cover art line, not a staple. It doesn't have near the width of the top staple. Nice book, though.

For some reason I was thinking the AS #8 had color-touch, but at any rate it doesn't look like it would get a grade high enough to bring $10,000 at FMV - let alone a $10,000 difference between current condition and prior.

What made you decide on that number Bob?

When the Jerry's All Stars thread ran back in 2007, there were some who suggested on that thread it might prove out to be highest graded copy.

That would put it up there

The way it looks, its nice paper, the concept that, yes, no dispute they found a dab of glue underneath at the bottom of the bottom staple,

if that was just that, then some one, Matt Nelson just happened to be walking by just a minute or two after Steve B walked away back to the CGC booth area, or others in the field of paper preservation, I know a lot of museum curators from the comics research I do tracing the field back to its first comic book, Obadiah Oldbuck in Sept 1842,

What gripes me the most is the inside cover paper pulled off now sitting on the glue

Ten grand for that All Star #8?

Seems reasonable for their insurance company to pay

Just like $1200 for the #7 is reasonable

What i find appalling is they took it upon themselves to abscond with Jerry's All Star #22 from July 2007 to Feb 2010.

Seems I missed one issue checking in the inventory

I got the books back from CGC some two hours before opening Preview Night coming up at 6 PM first day. Was in the midst of doing final touches on making my booth look purty. Kind of a hectic time made that much harder as I was already suffering big time from bone on bone disintegrating hip joints with zero cartilage left.

What I find disturbing is they took it upon themselves to keep that book at their HQ without ever mentioning they had it

Riddle me that one, Batfans?

Please stop pimping your auction like you are some kind of savior. like the guy who made the cerebus counterfeits, you are just a money grabber. nothing more. this issue is causing electric bs seizures.

I had a MMC#4 CGC 2.5 that had slightly brittle pages, I deslabbed it and later sold it to a boardie (can't remember who). He sent it in for reslabbing at the cover detached (presumably during grading/handling-I seem to recall that the buyer never handled it just sent it off to CGC, its been a few years hm ) but they never said anything, just downgraded the book to a 1.8 and brittle pages. Not pointing blame on CGC but this could have easily been one of those :whistle: moments.

Bob I think you should move this to the NOD boards as its going to get zapped tomorrow and swept under the rug.

They can run, but they cannot hide

Yup, this will be deleted, but some of you know,

and there is a whole big cyber world out there

with all the publicity re million dollars comic books, I am getting traction regarding this story

Am only holding off in the possibility they come to their senses

I have friends in powerful media orgs

editors, publishers, reporters

I wonder who else has had a close encounter with the dark side of the force like experienced as related here ??

Oh, and I have to figure out how to post pics here again

been too long, i forgot, was distracted with healing

If they keep this thread, will post here

otherwise the pics of what #7 and #8 look like now will be going on my Facebook,

amongst other places

I might lose the battle, but I will win this "war"

if that is what they want, we can go down that path.

tis about honor, truth, justice, Mister Evans

I am a huge fan of Thomas Jefferson

Texas excising our 3rd Prez from their history rolls,

well, that be crazy fer sure :makepoint:

Please stop pimping your auction like you are some kind of savior. like the guy who made the cerebus counterfeits, you are just a money grabber. nothing more. this issue is causing electric bs seizures.

Not directed at me I hope? (shrug)

lol What would make you think this was directed at you in any way ?

Are you too currently trying to pimp a Superman print for $100 ? or are you making Cerebus counterfeits ?

If the later of the two pm me :)

tis about honor, truth, justice, Mister Evans

Don't forget "The American Way" (thumbs u

Sir,

If that is what you choose to believe, be my guest. Dream On, McDuff.

I have various tag lines I run when ever I send emails out.

I see all kinds of other people with similar tag lines. So what else is new?

This is about truth, honor, justice

They broke these two comic books,

they should pay for said damage

Pure and simple

You can run off at the mouth all you want to,

fact remains I am Chapter 19 of the book

THE AIR PIRATES VS THE MOUSE by Bob Levin

Took on Walt Disney Corp on that one - and won

best

Robert Beerbohm

http://www.jeetheer.com/comics/airpirates.htm

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Pirates-and-the-Mouse/Bob-Levin/e/9781560975304

www.BLBcomics.com