• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics & Life

212 posts in this topic

Okay. I see now what is what. I will leave it alone, except to say that if the scan that is in this thread is the book before CGC got their hands on it. They did not pop that bottom staple.

It is already popped. I looked hard with a magnifying glass and just don't see a bottom staple.

But is is a scan and not in my hand. So I will defer to anyone who had it in hand the day it was handed over to CGC.

I hope the widow gets compensation if it is deserved. Fair is fair. But judging from the scan, I just don't see it. I would like to see a current scan.

Just because he posted a reply to me. I didn't understand the post to be honest. Bob you should keep it focused to the issue at hand. I think its hard to gain any sympathy/support when your all over the map with things.

:)

I agree with you Silv. BLB needs to stick to the point and quit the ramblings. Present the facts with evidence : photos and testimony or get tossed.

Just because he posted a reply to me. I didn't understand the post to be honest. Bob you should keep it focused to the issue at hand. I think its hard to gain any sympathy/support when your all over the map with things.

Yup, I apologize for going all over the map, been away for a while, trying to catch up too quickly, mayhaps.

Bottom line, they put tape on All Star #7 and popped the staple off #8

I have been gathering stories of CGC damaging books, and not paying renumeration for the damages. Quite a few so far related to me at Wondercon and the recent Chicago C2E2 Comicon and I am just getting started. Going to turn it all into a comic book

No personal attacks

simply stories as related to specific scenarios which can be documented by the owners

This is my hobby I let all the rest of you operate in :sumo:

Okay. I see now what is what. I will leave it alone, except to say that if the scan that is in this thread is the book before CGC got their hands on it. They did not pop that bottom staple.

It is already popped. I looked hard with a magnifying glass and just don't see a bottom staple.

But is is a scan and not in my hand. So I will defer to anyone who had it in hand the day it was handed over to CGC.

I hope the widow gets compensation if it is deserved. Fair is fair. But judging from the scan, I just don't see it. I would like to see a current scan.

Like I said, I do not trust myself to take close up pics of the #8 by myself

Tomorrow will have help, and will cheerfully take pics then and post. If they be men here, they will leave this thread up. But does not matter, the cyber world is huge out there, there is a much larger comics world out there then just this little microcosm of the CGC comics talk "boards"

If they delete this thread, that is their perogitive

I will not be waging this scenario here any way

Having been in the world of comics fandom since 1966, I know a few people

Our late friend Bruce Hamilton told me and others he regretted pimping (his word) for them at that first meeting in Timonium back in 1998 Steve Geppi hosted.

I was there, some of you reading this were as well

Was billed as a meeting regarding Overstreet advisors to pump new life into OPG

At that meeting Richard Evans and I were supposed to come up with a list together on what were the important undergrounds like ZAP, etc which should be in Overstreet

Twas all a ploy to intro CGC

Bob...as a comics nobody who has paid attention to you and your exploits for almost 20 years, I must say this: coming to CGC's own house and doing this will accomplish nothing.

If you believe you have a case, file one. It won't do any good to convince 10,000 CGC board members. The only person you have to convince is a judge (or possibly a jury, at this dollar amount.)

If it really means that much to you, that is what you should do.

If the Illuminati run the hobby then that kinda negates this statement...

Bob...as a comics nobody who has paid attention to you and your exploits for almost 20 years, I must say this: coming to CGC's own house and doing this will accomplish nothing.

If you believe you have a case, file one. It won't do any good to convince 10,000 CGC board members. The only person you have to convince is a judge (or possibly a jury, at this dollar amount.)

If it really means that much to you, that is what you should do.

All this is is a shot across the bow,

to coin a phrase used by others before me

Some things are best left outside a court room to see if they can be settled

My body is healing, my brain is clear once again, am picking up on a number of issues which laid dormant while I was in the midst of my health issue previously noted

I tried the sideways "behind the scenes" approach thru quite a few persons for some months recently

I was saddened to learn some I thought would get involved did not, but begged off cuz they be friends with the owners.

So, I am coming to the front door, knocking on said door, and asking, "what do you have to hide?"

Respectfully

Robert Beerbohm

At that meeting Richard Evans and I were supposed to come up with a list together on what were the important undergrounds like ZAP, etc which should be in Overstreet

I have always wondered about this, and held Overstreet in derision for leaving the UGs out of his guide... they are an important part of the development of comics and should be included :sumo:

So, what happened?

If the Illuminati run the hobby then that kinda negates this statement...

Funny you should bring that up, cuz Robert Anton Wilson used to buy comic books from me at our Telegraph Ave Comics & Comix store we opened Aug 1972.

http://www.amazon.com/Illuminatus-Trilogy-Pyramid-Golden-Leviathan/dp/0440539811

A side bar note: His daughter was working in a clothing store a few doors down from us towards Dwight Way back in the 1970s, a robber came in on the middle of a Saturday, robbed the place, killed her with one of those old ka-chunk credit card machines. That was a sad day, she was a nice person.

Fact remains, Rich, they damaged #7 and #8 like i said, and should properly compensate for these accidents which happened while the books were under their control. Jean Bails also emailed them she wants an apology in writing. That be fair.

I have always wondered about this, and held Overstreet in derision for leaving the UGs out of his guide... they are an important part of the development of comics and should be included :sumo:

So, what happened?

The closest I have been able to get to present UGs in Overstreet was making them part of the Origin of the Modern Comic Book article I have been fronting the main price index on since OPG #27 1997

After a few years I placed pics of a "Plymell" 25 cent first print ZAP COMICS #1 by Robet Crumb and an Austin Texas first print Feds N Heads by Gilbert Shelton as part of the story of the text of what was truly important in the comics world in the late 1960s

See, there is a school of thought amongst comics scholars that if Action Comics #1 is the most important comic book of the 20th Century,

then Zap Comics #1 is the second most important

cuz it launched the creator owned, royalty paying gigs we see today and take for granted. There were a lot of comic book store wars fought back in the 70s to get there. My pic found its way into the Underground Comix Family Album of Clay Geerdes photos which came out a while ago. How many here have one? It be OOP now

Money and historical importance do not necessarily go hand in hand

http://www.amazon.com/Underground-Comix-Family-Album/dp/0964292270

Bob,

Here is why I believe that the All Star #8 also has color touch in addition to the glue at the bottom of the spine:

Below is a close-up of the bottom staple area near Hawkman's arm on your book (far left) and then two copies in CGC blue labels from the Heritage archives (center and right)

as8.jpg

1. Note how the black ink from Hawkman's arm runs past the vertical black spine - a good sign that there may be some color touch.

2. Now note the diagonal inking on Hawkman's arm as it approaches the spine on the two copies on the right, it drastically reduces to almost nothing near the spine. Compare that to your copy on the left with strong hatches all the way to the spine.

I believe that when the spine of your copy was glued back to the cover, there was also some color touch added in (at the least) to try and hide the work.

Bob,

Here is why I believe that the All Star #8 also has color touch in addition to the glue at the bottom of the spine:

Below is a close-up of the bottom staple area near Hawkman's arm on your book (far left) and then two copies in CGC blue labels from the Heritage archives (center and right)

as8.jpg

1. Note how the black ink from Hawkman's arm runs past the vertical black spine - a good sign that there may be some color touch.

2. Now note the diagonal inking on Hawkman's arm as it approaches the spine on the two copies on the right, it drastically reduces to almost nothing near the spine. Compare that to your copy on the left with strong hatches all the way to the spine.

I believe that when the spine of your copy was glued back to the cover, there was also some color touch added in (at the least) to try and hide the work.

Excellent sleuthing.

Bob,

as8.jpg

Excellent sleuthing.

Indeed.

Bob,

as8.jpg

undoubtedly true.