• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics & Life

212 posts in this topic

This is my hobby I let all the rest of you operate in :sumo:

Even with all the incoherent ramblings and sidebars, you had me on your side ready to champion the cause with you.

After this doozy of a line, I think perhaps more than just a hip replacement was needed.

Jim

Simply a joke :kidaround:

I guess others may joke around, but not this humble soul ? :angel:

It'[s been a couple years since I have been on these thread boards, and various persons took this thread in a few diff directions which I responded to. Mayhaps I was in error for replying to same. My humble apologies to all

I don't have an opinion either way about this situation because quite frankly I really don't know what to think about it.

I must say though, Bob, you've got a memory like a steel trap! See you at OAFCON this year!

If Robert Brown, Bart Bush, et al, host it again this year, I will be there. There has been talk they might not do one this year, but next year in 2011 for sure. I was at their very first Multicons in Oklahoma City back in 1970 (Buster Crabbe) and 1972 (Will Eisner), fond memories as the shows back in the day were centered on reading the stories, not counting spine bends doh!

Later today I hope to have close up pics ready to post here

So, starting this thread on the weekend, when the Moderators are generally not around...purposeful, I presume?

The Mod's are like " Q " on Star Tek Next Generation......they are ALWAYS around. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Not at all, I presume, and still do, the CGC Mods are around all the time, there sure are a lot of them listed, some one is awake starting Sunday morning.

Keep in mind, I am asking nothing for myself on this matter,

simply justice for the damage CGC accidentally to two books hand delivered by me into their care. Twas cheaper to buy a plane ticket & a motel for over night stay than pay the insurance to ship at the time. I had never seen their operation, flew up to Wash DC for a couple days after that to do some more research at Library of Congress at the time. Again, beside the point you imply, as I tend to go off on side bar tangents all the time, my apologies to all who suspect ulterior motive(s)

Seems fair enough to me.

Looking forward to seeing more of your story here.

What i find appalling is they took it upon themselves to abscond with Jerry's All Star #22 from July 2007 to Feb 2010.

Seems I missed one issue checking in the inventory.

So you submitted a book without listing it on the invoice? hm

No

They did not give it back at the time, and the pain levels by summer 2007 precluded me from keeping on top of a lot of things. That was past, we are up to today. Healing proceeds, I still have a ways to go yet. Just ask any one who has had both hip joints replaced the same day. Healing goes on for years.

Bob, you've got a memory like a steel trap!

That is how Bob was able to remember the correct date to meet the boys at the Geppi Museum a few years back.

Im thinking BLB is a frontrunner for the Ira Levine Award for 2010. He only shows up here to push his agendas, raising money for himself and now going ballistic on what appears to be histrionics and misunderstanding.

Patently untrue as in Dunno who Ira Levine might be, matters not, beside the point,

I was off virtually all my groups i belong to for over two years, not just here, but GCD work, some 40 yahoo comics discussion groups, others, even my own Plat list I am a co-moderator on, dealing with "life" whilst seeking to get repaired and healed.

Virtually most all the issues I was dealing with were placed on hiatus, became almost a hermit as the pain was overwhelming, so you go on what you think any of my "agendas" might be, this issue as presented here I ask nothing for myself, as that is not the issue

Am going to be getting pics and such made up today of what I have been bringing up, detailing the issues regarding what CGC did to these books, what they stone walled on for some time,

then I was wrapped up coming out of summer 2007 onwards getting repaired and healed

Even my Overstreet comics business history articles and price indexes for the Victorian and Platinum sections I have been compiling for many years now were placed on hold.

There were no changes or additions made by me 2008 2009 in the Guide, nor have I worked on any other aspect of my comics history projects which are now being re-activated as I begin the process of working on my book once again.

You, and any one else for that matter, can make all the lopsided hair-brained accusations you wish to, I know in my heart my quest for justice and truth in this particular matter is pure

If I had not been overwhelmed by acute pain issues for a long time, causing me to be unable to set up at the 25-30 shows a year I had been doing all over the country, this matter would have been dealt with long ago. Would you grant me that little tidbit?

Respectively

Robert Beerbohm

I get it that youve had a rough couple of years. and your health was dire. But sheesh, between the long winded self heroicisims, and these charges makes heads spin.

and not too many of us were around in midaevel England, so your prose is a tad hard to follow. methinks!

Im saying give us a little credit. Most people here love these issues of wrongdoing and scandal. But you raise it to the level of an international incident of earth shattering importance! And your place in it as the Last Honest Man Unafraid to Speak Truth to Power!!

climb down off your soapbox, or cross, whichever is the best metaphor, present your facts cleanly and easy to follow, and let the jury decide (those are the ones in the wings holding the pitchforks waiting eagerly to storm the castle under your command) ONCE YOU HAVE PROVED YOUR CASE.

you 56 years in the business are worth a listen. But lighten up.

well said

That is how Bob was able to remember the correct date to meet the boys at the Geppi Museum a few years back.

I won't say anything about this one as I showed up one week early for a FallCon / MiniCon (?) at the door steps of 143ksk :boo:

See you next week, 143 :insane:

I won't say anything about this one as I showed up one week early for a FallCon / MiniCon (?) at the door steps of 143ksk :boo:

:roflmao:

So, starting this thread on the weekend, when the Moderators are generally not around...purposeful, I presume?

The Mod's are like " Q " on Star Tek Next Generation......they are ALWAYS around. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Not at all, I presume, and still do, the CGC Mods are around all the time, there sure are a lot of them listed, some one is awake starting Sunday morning.

Keep in mind, I am asking nothing for myself on this matter,

simply justice for the damage CGC accidentally to two books hand delivered by me into their care. Twas cheaper to buy a plane ticket & a motel for over night stay than pay the insurance to ship at the time. I had never seen their operation, flew up to Wash DC for a couple days after that to do some more research at Library of Congress at the time. Again, beside the point you imply, as I tend to go off on side bar tangents all the time, my apologies to all who suspect ulterior motive(s)

what????

See you next week, 143 :insane:

lol

and not too many of us were around in midaevel England, so your prose is a tad hard to follow. methinks!

And I thought I was the only one having trouble understanding Bob's prose.

I've heard of "talk like a pirate" day but this is ridiculous. lol

What i find appalling is they took it upon themselves to abscond with Jerry's All Star #22 from July 2007 to Feb 2010.

No

They did not give it back at the time, and the pain levels by summer 2007 precluded me from keeping on top of a lot of things. That was past, we are up to today. Healing proceeds, I still have a ways to go yet. Just ask any one who has had both hip joints replaced the same day. Healing goes on for years.

Bob, did CGC compensate you for the lost All-Star #22?

Im thinking BLB is a frontrunner for the Ira Levine Award for 2010. He only shows up here to push his agendas, raising money for himself and now going ballistic on what appears to be histrionics and misunderstanding.

Patently untrue as in Dunno who Ira Levine might be, matters not, beside the point,

I was off virtually all my groups i belong to for over two years, not just here, but GCD work, some 40 yahoo comics discussion groups, others, even my own Plat list I am a co-moderator on, dealing with "life" whilst seeking to get repaired and healed.

Virtually most all the issues I was dealing with were placed on hiatus, became almost a hermit as the pain was overwhelming, so you go on what you think any of my "agendas" might be, this issue as presented here I ask nothing for myself, as that is not the issue

Am going to be getting pics and such made up today of what I have been bringing up, detailing the issues regarding what CGC did to these books, what they stone walled on for some time,

then I was wrapped up coming out of summer 2007 onwards getting repaired and healed

Even my Overstreet comics business history articles and price indexes for the Victorian and Platinum sections I have been compiling for many years now were placed on hold as I could no longer think straight.

There were no changes or additions made by me 2008 2009 in the Guide, nor have I worked on any other aspect of my comics history projects which are now being re-activated as I begin the process of working on my book once again.

You, and any one else for that matter, can make all the lopsided hair-brained accusations you wish to, I know in my heart my quest for justice and truth in this particular matter is pure

If I had not been overwhelmed by acute pain issues for a long time, causing me to be unable to set up at the 25-30 shows a year I had been doing all over the country, this matter would have been dealt with long ago. Would you grant me that little tidbit?

Respectively

Robert Beerbohm

I get it that youve had a rough couple of years. and your health was dire. But sheesh, between the long winded self heroicisims, and these charges makes heads spin.

Im saying give us a little credit. Most people here love these issues of wrongdoing and scandal. But you raise it to the level of an international incident of earth shattering importance! And your place in it as the Last Honest Man Unafraid to Speak Truth to Power!!

climb down off your soapbox, or cross, whichever is the best metaphor, present your facts cleanly and easy to follow, and let the jury decide (those are the ones in the wings holding the pitchforks waiting eagerly to storm the castle under your command) ONCE YOU HAVE PROVED YOUR CASE.

you 56 years in the business are worth a listen. But lighten up.

Tis only been 43 years since Oct 1966 placing my first advert in RBCC #47, closing in on 44 from the looks of it, and I am far from thinking I am the Last Honest Man, to borrow your words, as I truly feel there are zillions of honest persons out there in comic book land, and if I have been on a soap box tis cuz CGC stone walled this summer 2007 going into Fall, then I was too wrapped up in the pain of bone on bone zero cartilage crumbling fracturing hip joints till they got replaced Oct 20 2009 out in LA, and then proceeded to stone wall beginning in late Oct 2009 as I recovered from the intense pain, could think again, and my outrage over said stone walling has only grew in the months since. Then i got the threatening email from some CGC lawyer threatening to sue me. Only made me stronger.

My worker is a college student, I get him when he has time, he should be here soon, pics be taken, posted, the court of public opine can cheerfully have its say, that be the point, that is why I turned up here again. He is a track runner, went to the nationals even, had a marathon event yesterday, moving more slowly today he claims, me, I have had to re-learn the words patience and humble all over again as I have been healing

re my writing, well, been studying 16-20 panel comic strips in English from the 1600s coming into the 1700s lately, puts me in a head space, translates into my prose some times. The earliest English Language multi-panel comic strip i know of so far is from 1656 out of England. You can see it in OPG #39 on page 320 for those of you who give a rat's a** about where all this truly comes from.

See, this aspect of the market place many of you here subscribe to has passed me by, I have never wished to participate in the "number's game" of CGC's operation. For me, it is all about the art, the story, the back stories of the origins of where the creators of this stuff got THEIR ideas from, how the publishers got up off the ground introducing their four color wares.

My idea of grading comics for long term investment potential has always stemmed from the whiteness of the paper. Way more so than spine bends, corner bends, whether there is a dot of magic marker somewhere on a cover, et al

See, re paper which has begun to yellow, or worse, has tinges of browning

As related to me from Bill Sarill, MIT chemist, many decades ago now, some of you may have heard of him before once the breakdown of the paper, usually exposed to heat, and the paper begins to break down, it does not stop,

only in white paper does one have the potential for investment potential longevity

Sealed up in that CGC plastic container, I think, will accelerate the break down process

Paper is organic

It needs to breathe some

But this is yet another side bar in this thread I call Comics & Life, did not know where my focus would be, and have to stay on, in my thread here. Comics & Life can go off in many directions, Up to those who post here, if they have any interest in where my head is at regarding life inside comics fandom.

I am thinking on posting the "after" pics once they are made to the Jerry's All Stars thread which some kind soul found for me, as I am not savvy to the ins & outs of being a regular poster, again. my humble apologies,

One can find that thread back on the front page of this GOLD section,

called Jerry's All Stars

Aprapo, as it were

best

Robert Beerbohm

http://www.facebook.com/pages/BLBcomicscom/103880122980738?ref=ts

No

they better have, after popping it's staples, tearing the spine down the middle, cutting out all it's coupons, filling in the little quiz blanks [a book that lame has to have quiz blanks--i don't care that there is a flag on the cover], leaving it out in the sarasota sun for about half the 2 1/2 years, and detaching then losing the centerfold.

BLB, you are correct that CGC popped the staple but they only popped it from the glue. The evidence indicates the popped staple was already popped and held on by a bit of glue with some CT to cover it up. Upon opening at CGC the glue let go of the staple. This is a restored book. Many of us have suffered the pain of discovering a treasured comic has restoration. It does not help by going into denial.

For your own health and well being let it go.

I came from GCG Florida HQ to Wash DC, did more research at LOC, like i have done many many times over the years since I embarked on my self-sustaining mission to figure out proper comics history.

Flew back to do the Geppi Museum thing with the boys, fun day, if I remember correctly, which was lower on my agenda of things to accomplish. Went back to LOC as well for more follow up research, and that was the last time I have done out of town comics history research BTW.

See, LOC has a run of Wild Oats weekly tabloid newspaper, which ran 1870-1881 - and is chock full of 100s of comic strips. One can see some of them pictured in the Victorian Comics Era article I have developed over the years with Richard Olson, Doug Wheeler, Richard Samuel West, with able assists from Leonardo De Sa, Terry Keegan, Gabriel Laderman, Joe Raoine, amongst many others who contributed tidbits

After the summer of 2007 my comics activities curtailed mostly till I got repaired Oct 2009. But, yeah, sure, keeping track of everything was definitely getting harder by early summer 2007. :busy:

No

they better have, after popping it's staples, tearing the spine down the middle, cutting out all it's coupons, filling in the little quiz blanks [a book that lame has to have quiz blanks--i don't care that there is a flag on the cover], leaving it out in the sarasota sun for about half the 2 1/2 years, and detaching then losing the centerfold.

Aye. Aye. Bob be best compensated in gold doubloons. Or only the plank shall Haspel walk.

They returned it a few months ago, no worries there, I overlooked it not being with the others as my pain intensity levels grew seemingly exponentially, however, they made zero effort to mention they even had this book all this time.

This is a minor issue and moot at this point.

They returned it a few months ago, no worries there, I overlooked it not being with the others as my pain intensity levels grew seemingly exponentially, however, they made zero effort to mention they even had this book all this time.

This is a minor issue and moot at this point.

I didn't ask if they returned it. I asked if they compensated you monetarily for the book between the time it was lost and the time they found it and returned it to you.