• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Longtime collector/dealer Denver Sherry passes away

20 posts in this topic

Many from the Nashville area will know Denver. I believe he was in his early 80s. He used to set up at the Nashville Flea Market with Harry Thomas, and also at the Louisville Flea Market. Denver was your classic old timer, a little crochetty, but with a good sense of humor. A few weeks ago, he and his wife were rear-ended by a drunk driver in Nashville, and the injuries he sustained eventually took his life. Goodbye, Denver. We will miss you.

Denver will sure be missed by tons of long time collectors in the mid-south , myself being one . I first met Denver back in the late 80`s at the flea market along with Harry -- we lost Harry not to long ago and now Denver -- the old guard is leaving us .... and it just wont be the same without them, but at least we have memories -- and I would guess that several boardies may have bought books from him off ebay -- his screen name was "thebigd77" on there .He always had nice books listed -- I had only talked to him probably a week before the accident ( dropped of some shipping supplies at his house ) and he was planning on going to Motor City with another local collector from Nashville --- :( peace be with you Denver

So sad to hear....... :sorry:

I think the last time I saw him was at the Western Film Fair here in Charlotte about 6 or 8 years ago. I remember buying a lobby card from him.

Never knew him or Harry Thomas really well, but had seen them at shows many times over the years.

Certainly one of the old-timers. He will be missed.

Sad to hear.

Please folks, don't drink and drive.

This hurts deeply for me to hear,

A Drunk Driver took my best friend's life when he was just 13.

Mark Pedneau and I were both 13 and he and his Mom were killed instantly when

an 18 wheeler came over to their lane and caused a head on collision.

He was in our scout troop and myself and the rest of our troop in uniform carried the

casket to the grave.

I still miss my friend and that has been over 27 years ago.

:(

I knew Denver in the 1970s--in fact, I didtributed new comics to him for a couple of years around the middle of the decade.

Honestly, I had no idea that he was still alive, but I'm sorry he's gone now, and that he went the way he did.

He was indeed crotchety, even 35 years ago, and something of a problematic customer--but I liked him anyway. I got some very nice Golden Age comics from him.

I still miss Harry Thomas... I only ever met Mr. Sherry (I was just a kid, so no first-name-basis for me :sorry: ) twice, both times at a Nashville Collectibles show back in the late seventies.... I stayed in touch with Harry over the years, but Mr. Sherry and I never connected. It is sad to see the old guys go away that I learned from as young pup... RIP, Mr. Sherry.

That is so sad to hear. You would think 25 years after we got serious with this issue we would not hear these kind of stories. I lost a friend in high school due to drunk driving. I think about him often and what he might have been. You can say Harry lived a love and fulfilled life and you would be right but it now stands uncomplete because of someone else's bad choice.