• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
44 44

9,718 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2024 at 10:46 PM, BuscemasAvengers said:

A tough Ditko Charlton to find

TOTMT7F.jpg

I'm a big fan of covers with no text to explain what's going on.  It's one of the reasons I am instinctively repulsed by most Silver Age DCs, because it seems every cover has the hero saying some horrible exposition to explain the art like "Good gravy!  That green alien in the blue shirt is using its bizarre glowing sucker-probe to turn my friend Billy into a mindless tree creature, and I can't get there in time to stop it!!"

When a cover image makes absolutely no sense, like a solar system sized guy in a trenchcoat and fedora carving a slice of pie out of North America, I'm not sure if that's a terrible editorial decision ... or maybe the greatest thing ever.

On 7/24/2024 at 3:16 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm a big fan of covers with no text to explain what's going on.  It's one of the reasons I am instinctively repulsed by most Silver Age DCs, because it seems every cover has the hero saying some horrible exposition to explain the art like "Good gravy!  That green alien in the blue shirt is using its bizarre glowing sucker-probe to turn my friend Billy into a mindless tree creature, and I can't get there in time to stop it!!"

When a cover image makes absolutely no sense, like a solar system sized guy in a trenchcoat and fedora carving a slice of pie out of North America, I'm not sure if that's a terrible editorial decision ... or maybe the greatest thing ever.

Part of me gets what you're saying but then what you open the book and aghast because words? But lol rare for the time and I get how that may seem childish or gimmick or other apropos like playing chutes and ladders and complaint about all the chutes and ladders, ha, but I understand there is more seriousness and etc or even ominous to entice a reader! Lol cest la vi but did make me crank my head to the side. :cheers:

What with most complaints being the same kind of thing with moderns, with no description nor speech in the cover. Been a while since I've heard this pov is all.

On 7/24/2024 at 4:16 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

It is indeed an interesting piece to act as the cover for this issue's stories. It may be North America from which the piece of the 'pie' is extracted (although the shape of the land is a little questionable). The stories inside take place in Australia, England, a forested area known by an indigenous tribe (could be the US), Mexico and Spain. GCD credits the cover to Maurice Whitman, and we know he did some amazing covers in his day. I believe Whitman started working for Charlton in 1954, so about 4 years before this issue came out (March, 1958).

If Whitman was aware of the story plots, then perhaps he wished to capture some of the themes appearing in the stories. What if a man was lucky all the time? What if a magic potion to heal all ailments did exist? I'm likely stretching it here, but perhaps the experiences of the characters in these stories allow them to grossly over-speculate the potential these 'gifts' will give them (a large piece of the pie).  Perhaps I should just refill my glass of red and continue speculating.

Interestingly enough, the concept of a 'mysterious traveler' seems to go back to a radio series that ran between 1943-1952. There was the one-shot 'Mysterious Traveler' comic that was published in 1948 (pic below). The idea then appeared in digest magazines (pulps?) for 5 issues in 1951-1952.  I think Norman Saunders did some/all of the covers (example below). There may be more specific answers to the reason(s) why Whitman decided to go with such a unique cover in these original sources.

MysteriousTraveler1.jpg

MysteriousTraveler.jpg

On 7/24/2024 at 4:53 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Part of me gets what you're saying but then what you open the book and aghast because words? But lol rare for the time and I get how that may seem childish or gimmick or other apropos like playing chutes and ladders and complaint about all the chutes and ladders, ha, but I understand there is more seriousness and etc or even ominous to entice a reader! Lol cest la vi but did make me crank my head to the side. :cheers:

What with most complaints being the same kind of thing with moderns, with no description nor speech in the cover. Been a while since I've heard this pov is all.

I think the best covers let the art speak for itself.  Here's my all time favorite:

image.thumb.jpeg.8a9de9010a04bbdb3e07ceb95845ed15.jpeg

In the case of Silver Age DCs, there was clearly an editorial decision not only to put major amounts of exposition on the covers, but to literally put it in dialogue balloons spoken by the characters instead of, say, in some kind of banner or caption.  I've heard people say that this was an explicit acknowledgment that they were targeting a younger audience, and maybe that's true.  But a lot of the time it reads to me like the editor(s) simply didn't trust in the art to tell the story.  Much of the dialogue is literally explaining the action that the art is trying to convey, betraying that maybe the art isn't good enough to make that obvious.

Just my $0.02.

On 7/24/2024 at 5:46 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I think the best covers let the art speak for itself.  Here's my all time favorite:

image.thumb.jpeg.8a9de9010a04bbdb3e07ceb95845ed15.jpeg

In the case of Silver Age DCs, there was clearly an editorial decision not only to put major amounts of exposition on the covers, but to literally put it in dialogue balloons spoken by the characters instead of, say, in some kind of banner or caption.  I've heard people say that this was an explicit acknowledgment that they were targeting a younger audience, and maybe that's true.  But a lot of the time it reads to me like the editor(s) simply didn't trust in the art to tell the story.  Much of the dialogue is literally explaining the action that the art is trying to convey, betraying that maybe the art isn't good enough to make that obvious.

Just my $0.02.

Ya I wasn't knocking it, it was more cathartic for me to type it out, as most miss those from time to time or kinda, when they've been abandoned for so long in moderns. But now that I think about it, most of mine fit the illustration cover, except certain era's of asm and batman, but cap 100 forward, early avengers or #4.

:makepoint: I guess other than boxes of description, which are even more prevalent than word bubbles, cause just word bubbles would be hard to find in my collection. I suppose I focus only on those as a change of pace sometimes lol

Cathartic! @Sweet Lou 14

Edited by ADAMANTIUM