• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerry's All Star #8 better pics

1,135 posts in this topic

I have seen a number of pictures where people have not used as much care as they could have. As a matter of fact, I've raised similar questions before

It's true, he is equal opportunity in his policing of the care others give their books. He had an issue with this picture:

geekfest006.jpg

Amazing, amazing books. Words really wouldn't do it justice.

But there is one thing I can never understand. How is it that people can ever have such valuable books out in the open, bumping next to other books, or laying on-top of a box like the Tec #29 was?

I'm assuming no harm would come to the books otherwise I'm sure no one would do it, but I get over-protective over most books in my collection. Granted, their not of the caliber of the ones pictured (obviously) but when you have books that valuable, don't you get just a tad nervous?

Reminds me of this...

How could you hold an unrestored 6.0 Action #1 with one hand upside-down (even for a split second).

Best case scenario, nothing happens. Worst case scenario...anything happens.

the quick and simple answer is that "they are just comic books"... that have been designed to be handled and read and enjoyed...

sure, they can have value, but at the end of the day, they are just comics (Thumbs u

Exactly. (thumbs u

Then I see another photo of you with all the books laid out in a room I would call cluttered at best. But right there in plain sight on the table by the monitor are 2 tupperware containers of glue, a tacking iron, a brush and a magnification loupe. :(

Even if you didn't apply glue to the AS 8 yourself, this photo is incredibly damning.

I've read both threads, but I'm missing or forgetting something--why is this damning?

Some people assume that because a tub of glue is sitting by, that BLB used the glue to fix the All Star #8. Frankly I don't get it. Now if you actually had a picture of him applying the glue to the All Star #8 that would be a different story.

Then I see another photo of you with all the books laid out in a room I would call cluttered at best. But right there in plain sight on the table by the monitor are 2 tupperware containers of glue, a tacking iron, a brush and a magnification loupe. :(

Even if you didn't apply glue to the AS 8 yourself, this photo is incredibly damning.

I've read both threads, but I'm missing or forgetting something--why is this damning?

Some people assume that because a tub of glue is sitting by, that BLB used the glue to fix the All Star #8. Frankly I don't get it. Now if you actually had a picture of him applying the glue to the All Star #8 that would be a different story.

you're right, he could be just scrapbooking

lol

Some people assume that because a tub of glue is sitting by, that BLB used the glue to fix the All Star #8.

Even if he did, how does that refute his claim that CGC popped the staple? At first glance it read like a smear from the shallow "OMG HE'S RESTORING BOOKS, RESTORATION IS EVIL, BURN HIM!" camp, except that Ze-Man is the one who said it and he doesn't feel that way, so he must mean something else. (shrug)

All I know is if I ever went into court and tried to use that picture without anything else to make the assumption that BLB restored the All Star #8, the judge would laugh at me. :tonofbricks:

All I know is if I ever went into court and tried to use that picture without anything else to make the assumption that BLB restored the All Star #8, the judge would laugh at me. :tonofbricks:

I don't think anyone's taking Bob to court. I think Kenny was simply saying that posting a picture that includes the tools to perform such a repair doesn't help Bob's already weak argument.

I don't think anyone's taking Bob to court. I think Kenny was simply saying that posting a picture that includes the tools to perform such a repair doesn't help Bob's already weak argument.

Your right on that point. (thumbs u

I have seen a number of pictures where people have not used as much care as they could have. As a matter of fact, I've raised similar questions before

It's true, he is equal opportunity in his policing of the care others give their books. He had an issue with this picture:

geekfest006.jpg

Amazing, amazing books. Words really wouldn't do it justice.

But there is one thing I can never understand. How is it that people can ever have such valuable books out in the open, bumping next to other books, or laying on-top of a box like the Tec #29 was?

I'm assuming no harm would come to the books otherwise I'm sure no one would do it, but I get over-protective over most books in my collection. Granted, their not of the caliber of the ones pictured (obviously) but when you have books that valuable, don't you get just a tad nervous?

Reminds me of this...

How could you hold an unrestored 6.0 Action #1 with one hand upside-down (even for a split second).

Best case scenario, nothing happens. Worst case scenario...anything happens.

Told you...I'm an equal opportunity critic. My feelings on the subject are the same if it's Bob holding books like that, another board member, or myself.

If someone spends thousands of dollars of their own money to purchase said books than it is their right to do with them as they will. They could take them out and read them at the dinner table if they so choose, it's not my place to tell anyone they can't.

But at the same time, that doesn't mean that everyone using the most care possible. To avoid doing certain things (that I've pointed out) is not over-kill in my opinion, it would be the way I handle all of my even semi-valuable books, but to each his own.

I don't claim to be an authority on the subject, it's just an opinion. And I do feel there is a difference between my opinion being flat out wrong or simply being over-protective.

Bruce

Think that pic has also lost him some business, this is not the court of law but of public opinion. I am not the biggest buyer on the boards but spend a decent amount of money. I have looked and almost pulled the trigger on some of his Fox books. After seeing that pic with the glue and reading these threads I am just going to stay away. I don't know BLB and have not heard bad things about him, but man these threads he started just rub me the wrong way as a potential future customer.

Bruce

Some people assume that because a tub of glue is sitting by, that BLB used the glue to fix the All Star #8.

Even if he did, how does that refute his claim that CGC popped the staple? At first glance it read like a smear from the shallow "OMG HE'S RESTORING BOOKS, RESTORATION IS EVIL, BURN HIM!" camp, except that Ze-Man is the one who said it and he doesn't feel that way, so he must mean something else. (shrug)

Oh wait, duh...if he glued the staple, then he would have known that it was already popped, heh, my bad. doh!

lol

+1. lost some of my diet-coke on that one. the keyboard didn't appreciate it.

Think that pic has also lost him some business, this is not the court of law but of public opinion. I am not the biggest buyer on the boards but spend a decent amount of money. I have looked and almost pulled the trigger on some of his Fox books. After seeing that pic with the glue and reading these threads I am just going to stay away. I don't know BLB and have not heard bad things about him, but man these threads he started just rub me the wrong way as a potential future customer.

Bruce

I agree, I believe this thread is hurting BLB's image and potential business.

It's fairly obvious when he thinks he is right he will not let go. As a customer, I would be afraid of getting into a dispute with him. Imagine the scenario where you buy a raw book from him and you get back a PLOD from CGC. 'IF' he thought CGC was wrong, you would never be able to convince him otherwise.

I'm still laughing about the comment of them playing twister with the All Stars on the floor. It does look they are partying, having fun with the comics. When purchasing a comic from BLB is that the image you want to remember? It doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies I will get a properly handled book.

Maybe you should change the title of this thread to Jerry's Kids and donate all the time you have wasted to charity...

(insert Jerry's Kids picture)

lsufla08.jpg

Whos the dweeb on the left?

the guy about to put you on ignore AND never tell you another boo and thib story.