• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to buy a big book like Batman 1?

137 posts in this topic

I'd go with the Catwoman story.

That one is under-rated, I think.

Good luck June 4th. But ... but ... what if there's the perfect copy at Sac-Con on the 6th? :)

Brian Peets doesn't have a copy and Steve Wyatt hasn't, unfortunately, had anything good in a long time. So the odds of a Batman 1 showing up at Sac Con are about the same as monkeys flying out my butt. Or JC announcing moderns are a good investment.

I think I'm safe missing out on Sac Con this time around.

Just got a Bat 1 at the MCBA (Minn Con) yesterday. It started as a coverless and got

new staples, a xerox cover, and some tear seals. It took cash, trade, and will

require a lot of time payments to complete paying for it (Thanks, HY).

The only other ways of getting a copy in my desired range (G+ or better, no

restore, and not slabbed) would be to win the lottery (and I do not buy tickets)

or the great garage sale (and I have not found that in the past 25 years).

I will keep it with the rest of my collection. If, over the next 50 years, it goes

way up in value, great (but I will still keep it). If not, well I still have it.

The only way I can see selling it would be if I get a better copy at that garage

sale. I am not holding my breath for any more decades on that garage sale.

Just got a Bat 1 at the MCBA (Minn Con) yesterday. It started as a coverless and got

restore, and not slabbed) would be to win the lottery (and I do not buy tickets)

I will keep it with the rest of my collection. If, over the next 50 years, it goes

way up in value, great (but I will still keep it). If not, well I still have it.

The only way I can see selling it would be if I get a better copy at that garage

If you can, please share scans when you get the chance. Sounds like an amazing book!

congrats if you bought the harley copy... at first glance, I couldn't even tell it was a xerox cover (thumbs u

While the 1.0 blue label on Heritage was a very nice looking book for the grade, I was surprised that it sold for more than the 7.0 mod purple label ($13k vs. $11k). Should I have been surprised?

(We can talk somewhere else about the 5.0 and 6.0 Superman ext purples (P) going for the same price - which makes me wonder if some buyer might have ended up with both.)

While the 1.0 blue label on Heritage was a very nice looking book for the grade, I was surprised that it sold for more than the 7.0 mod purple label ($13k vs. $11k). Should I have been surprised?

(We can talk somewhere else about the 5.0 and 6.0 Superman ext purples (P) going for the same price - which makes me wonder if some buyer might have ended up with both.)

the market (collectors) still prefer the blue labels over the purple ones. (shrug)

the market (collectors) still prefer the blue labels over the purple ones. (shrug)

Last sale in GPA for a blue 1.0 was $8,600 last month. If the Heritage 1.0 sold for $13k, I suspect there's a very happy seller out there.

Honestly, at this point, I think I'd rather have a nice-looking restored copy.

Jerome, very cool post from start to finish. Congrats on picking that up. I agree with Rick--I saw your copy at Wondercon and it definitely looks good.

Last sale in GPA for a blue 1.0 was $8,600 last month. If the Heritage 1.0 sold for $13k, I suspect there's a very happy seller out there.

Honestly, at this point, I think I'd rather have a nice-looking restored copy.

The one Bat 1 that sold for $8600 last month had brittle pages and the back cover had some pieces missing (looked like it was torn off). The one on Heritage was a much better looking copy for a 1.0 and better page quality hence the higher price.

It's done. Check the "Have a Cigar" thread for the story. I'm now in the Batman 1 club.

Batman1-1.jpg

(worship)

Congratulations!

A book certainly worthy of being in the discussion of the greatest comics of all-time.

The first appearence of the Joker; a fact all too often overshadowed by the "#1".

Your copy is simply beautiful!

It's done. Check the "Have a Cigar" thread for the story. I'm now in the Batman 1 club.

Batman1-1.jpg

(worship)

Congratulations!

A book certainly worthy of being in the discussion of the greatest comics of all-time.

The first appearence of the Joker; a fact all too often overshadowed by the "#1".

Your copy is simply beautiful!

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: