• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SA Adventure Comics Collectors Thread
7 7

706 posts in this topic

I would agree with #210, since that's the first code issue...Showcase 4 only refers to the SA of new Superheroes that were revived from the GA. Superboy was never revived...he just continued on until they started sticking those code symbols on the covers.

It's so confusing :ohnoez:

It's almost like those publishers didn't even realize the importance of properly aligning the output of their comic lines to the official start of the Silver Age. hm

So inconsiderate.

I never bought into the opinion all books start their SA once Showcase #4 hit the stands. It's a convenient place to start if you want a general cut-off date for one's DC SA collection, but each title has it's own moments where the shift comes from that nebulous post-gold pre-silver era of the early-mid 1950s into an arguably SA identity, and even then not all agree on which moment is pivotal. For the continuously running hero books of the 50s, the introduction of new, major supporting characters associated with the SA seems as good a place as any, even if they pre-date Showcase #4.

I would agree with #210, since that's the first code issue...Showcase 4 only refers to the SA of new Superheroes that were revived from the GA. Superboy was never revived...he just continued on until they started sticking those code symbols on the covers.

It's so confusing :ohnoez:

It's almost like those publishers didn't even realize the importance of properly aligning the output of their comic lines to the official start of the Silver Age. hm

So inconsiderate.

I never bought into the opinion all books start their SA once Showcase #4 hit the stands. It's a convenient place to start if you want a general cut-off date for one's DC SA collection, but each title has it's own moments where the shift comes from that nebulous post-gold pre-silver era of the early-mid 1950s into an arguably SA identity, and even then not all agree on which moment is pivotal. For the continuously running hero books of the 50s, the introduction of new, major supporting characters associated with the SA seems as good a place as any, even if they pre-date Showcase #4.

...... I'm going to say this in the SA forum, because most of you are intelligent enough to understand. The differentiation of ages is difficult, because most people aren't even able to agree on what constitutes the definition of the age.... it's "nature", so to speak. That being said, the beginning of a comic "age" is much like driving down the interstate on a sunny day and then entering a rain storm. It begins with a drop of rain here, a drop of rain there, until you enter the full force of the storm a little further on. This means that rjpb is correct..... as is usually the case. I like Krypto as a start in Adventure Comics..... but I REALLY like Adventure 247....... because, to me, if the Legion doesn't scream SA, then nothing does. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I get what your saying, but what is wrong with just going with the beginning of the comics code as the starting point? It's a lot simpler. And as far as the Atom Age is concerned, for DC we could say it started with the double DC circles at the top of the books... :D That seems to be shortly after the comics shrank in size and began to look more like SA books than GA books...or maybe we could just say the Atom Age started with skinnier books, and the SA started with the code symbol... lol Works for me...

Edited by tricolorbrian

I get what your saying, but what is wrong with just going with the beginning of the comics code as the starting point? It's a lot simpler. And as far as the Atom Age is concerned, for DC we could say it started with the double DC circles at the top of the books... :D That seems to be shortly after the comics shrank in size and began to look more like SA books than GA books...or maybe we could just say the Atom Age started with skinnier books, and the SA started with the code symbol... lol Works for me...

..... totally agree for the most part. My interests span the 40's through the 80's so strict demarcation never was that important to me. To me if a book lacks the code it isn't SA and if it's 52 pages it's still GA. Still, the SA wouldn't be the same without the Legion (to me....) and I've always felt it didn't get the respect it deserved (Adv 247)....... GOD BLESS....

....I'm just glad they didn't all get thrown out..... and for what it's worth, I'm definitely not in the camp that holds the SA didn't begin until FF 1...... even though the Marvel fare was always my favorite.

Edited by jimjum12

..... totally agree for the most part. My interests span the 40's through the 80's so strict demarcation never was that important to me. To me if a book lacks the code it isn't SA and if it's 52 pages it's still GA.

....I'm just glad they didn't all get thrown out..... and for what it's worth, I'm definitely not in the camp that holds the SA didn't begin until FF 1...... even though the Marvel fare was always my favorite.

I agree totally...to whatever it is that we agreed on... :headbang:

I think we seasoned citizens have a better grasp on the past than anyone who wasn't born in the 50s or before... :preach:

Edited by tricolorbrian

Fun fact:

I always liked getting books that had been featured reprints in the DC giants:

80page1a.jpg

80page1b.jpg

A big digression here.

As an interesting fact, you can tell by the verbiage that issue #3 of 80-Page Giant was originally planned to be Lois Lane Annual #3, That means that issue #2 would have been Jimmy Olsen Annual #1 and issue #1 would have been Superman Annual #9.

The changes really affected the values of the books. 80 Page Giant 1 is worth a lot more than Superman Annual 9 would have been and a Jimmy Olsen Annual 1 would likely be more valuable than 80 Page Giant 2. I think the Lois Lane #3 is likely unaffected.

Yeah, that 80 Page Giant #1 messed me up for a number of years - because it says "Superman Annual" along with the "Issue #1" I had it on my spreadsheet as Superman Annual #1. Then many years later when I bought what I (then) knew to be 80 Page Giant #1, I discovered that not only did I have two copies of the same book, but I was missing a (now very expensive) Superman Annual #1 that I thought I had.

Great post AdamStrange!

And looking at the cover of 80 page 1 so many times over the years, I never noticed a revealing key to DCs change in publishing plans. Notice how oddly shaped the burst around 80 page giant is... Look at the bottom edge. It's not at all a burst, it's the bottom edges of the word GIANT that was changed by just adding burst effects to it!!

It was cheaper and easier to do that than re work the logo with an actual Superman Logo... Such was the effort at quality standard back then.

To me if a book lacks the code it isn't SA and if it's 52 pages it's still GA.

This I think most would agree on.

I used to keep my Silver books boxed separately from my Gold/Atom age pre-code stuff, but after I sold off most of the Silver I had, I keep stuff like post-code Atlas and a few post-code Charlton books with the older stuff. I don't have superhero books from that era, so I don't have to worry about where to make the break.

Adam,

I don't think I had seen that article previously, thanks for sharing it!

I have always been a big fan of the DC giants myself. I believe that they are in large part responsible for me getting into collecting comics. I read comics in 1973, but it is this book that started me collecting:

dc21a.jpg

dc21b.jpg

I remember seeing this book in 7-11 and buying it. I loved loved loved the Brave and the Bold 54 (which in turn started my love for that series) story and the Adventure Legion story with the Super Moby of Space! The back cover gallery set me on the path to hunt down the original issues. This is my collecting origin! This also set me on the path to collect Superboy and Legion comics that has lasted until since then.

For me that DC-21 is a pretty special comic.

I long ago wore out my original copy, the one you see in the scan is from the Monterey collection.

Adam,

I have always been a big fan of the DC giants myself. I believe that they are in large part responsible for me getting into collecting comics. I read comics in 1973, but it is this book that started me collecting:

dc21a.jpg

dc21b.jpg

I remember seeing this book in 7-11 and buying it. I loved loved loved the Brave and the Bold 54 (which in turn started my love for that series) story and the Adventure Legion story with the Super Moby of Space! The back cover gallery set me on the path to hunt down the original issues. This is my collecting origin! This also set me on the path to collect Superboy and Legion comics that has lasted until since then.

For me that DC-21 is a pretty special comic.

I long ago wore out my original copy, the one you see in the scan is from the Monterey collection.

..... between the 80 & 100 pagers and the MT's and the MCIC's.... I never stood a chance. GOD BLESS...

Adam,

I wrote it 20 years ago but it was never published. The nice thing about the Interwebs is there is no need for anyone's approval.

I didn't buy very many comics growing up but, of those I did, most were giants. My Mother helped me notice that I got more pages for my money when I bought giants rather than regular sized comics.

Supergirl visits Smallville...

AdventureComics278b.jpg

This looks like it should be a Legion book.

AdventureComics287-1.jpg

This wonderful space cover must have been a popular buy.

AdventureComics276a-1.jpg

Beautiful books, anything with Supergirl or purple covers get me :cloud9: